Hey look! My ZebraLight SC51c with beacon mode...

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I read that some members got this beacon mode with their SC80 model... As this light is my spare (errr... more like shelf queen), I never notice it until last night when I check the battery in it... I recorded a video of the beacon "in action"... it beacon flash with Eneloop (fully charged), L91 and Leaky-Al... so not a battery/cell issue.

sorry... was a bit slow in starting the timer... :ohgeez: it flashes every 52 seconds...

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
we dont understand your op. are you reporting an issue or a hidden desirable feature?
I think beacon is kewl.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@shelm, I think it's kewl too... I'm actually pretty excited to discover this "hidden feature"... doesn't matter if it's malfunctioning or a "special edition", I'm keeping this one! :thumbsup:
this is my 1st flashlight with a default locator beacon! yay! :grin2:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am guessing that this is a bug in the circuitry. usually such funny bugs happen when the quality of the electronic parts (resistors, ..) are at the borders of their tolerance band and not perfectly in the middle of their specs. electronic parts with tight tolerance bands are quite expensive but whenever i buy them from conrad i pick the Made in China cheapest stuff. probably Zebralight employs Made in China electronic parts too for building the driver.

the other day i heard that ZL released 6 reiterations of the SC51 (SC51 1.00, 1.01, 1.10, 1.12, etc. however you want to number them!), so maybe yours isnt the latest hardware revision? when did you buy it?

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
My SC80 (bought in 11/2011) did the same beacon stuff yesterday after I reloaded my AW RCR123. I thought it could be an overvoltage issue, so I checked with an Eneloop, but same beacon again.
So I ran my ZL in H1 for 5 minutes and then the beacon was gone.
Probably an issue, not an hidden feature ;)

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@shelm, I bought them a couple of months back, it's a little different from my 1st as the positive contact on this one is just 2-wire instead of solid piece of round metal...
@nanucq, I tried your method, I ran it on H1 for 10 minutes just to be sure... yup it does the trick, no more beacon... for 10 minutes... and then the beacon is back... YAY! :party:

shelm may be right that this is a bug, and there are members who don't like the beacon... I guess I'm weird in some way, like shelm said, I find it "kewl"! haha... :thumbsup:

Latest posts