beamshaper for Tigerlight?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a compliment to TL but my dad commented that "sometimes the light is just too bright! I'm seeing spots!"
smile.gif

What he meant of course was that when shined on something relatively close the center hotspot could use some spreading for usefulness.

Could anyone guess/try whether an existing beamshaper like those from SF fit onto the TL bezel?

I'm thinking of a flap-over beamshaper rather than something that goes onto the lens because I fitted the great flashlightlens.com UCL and it's more convenient if it can be just flipped out of the way for other times.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that why you have backup lights
grin.gif

actually i can't think of anything off hand other than something you could make yourself...sorry.

guncollector

Enlightened
binky-

I don't think TL makes "beamshapers", as we've come to know them in the Surefire-sense.

Maybe its possible to modify a Surefire beamshaper for one of the turbo-heads or M4/M6 to work with a TL. It's worth investigating anyway.

Anybody out there with a TL and turbo-head beamshaper wish to give us a shout (along with dimensions)?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh... You can always try WriteRight... Double or triple layer it and try to get a nice beam dispersion.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I found a really interesting (and fairly easy) way to turn your TL into a flood light.

- Get some high temp clear spray paint.
- Put a nice even coat on the reflector.
- Sprinkle glass beads onto the wet paint.
- Shoot a little paint over the bead to seal.

Use glass bead intended for media blasting. It's nice and small. I couldn't tell you the mesh I used - it's been so long since I bought it and I threw out the bag.

I think this method will beat the WriteRight method in terms of letting more light get out through the lens. WriteRight will reflect more light back into the LA, whereas the modified reflector will simply reflect it out in a little more random fashion.

Oh ya, don't forget about the UCL lens (cheap plug - sorry).

I'll see if I can get some beamshots up soon.

Chris

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay these are great suggestions.

The EDC will have to wait for a birthday in the May timeframe.

Maybe the WriteRight solution is the way to go if removability is the answer. (Will it leave a residue on the great UCL lens if it's taken off for usual use?)

And the glass bead fusing on the reflector might give a brighter result. Wow, Chris. That's also a good idea. That's up there with the 'sputtered' clearcoat idea of another cpf'er. Maybe I'll buy another lamp assembly and try that out for myself. (Shameless self-interest: Chris -- Any news on the tempering?
wink.gif
)

Thanks guys!

I think I still want to hear whether anyone owning a SF beamshaper can try its fit on the Tigerlight. Maybe if it did fit then someone would have posted even before I started this thread.
frown.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Measure your tigerlight bezel diameter and post it here. Someone else can measure their M6 or turbohead and compare
smile.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have calipers. If the lens is 55mm and it fits tightly into the 2.5mm thick bezel, then how about 60mm?

TigerLight.jpg

grin.gif

[edit] I'm heading off for some much-needed sleep.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I measure the inside of my bezel (thread to thread) at 2.2000" (.0005" resolution believe it or not) - which is about 55.87mm.

Outside diameter - 2.4020" or 61.00mm
Bezel aperture - 1.9700" or 50.004mm
Height - 0.6990" or 17.75mm

Illuminated

Enlightened
I recently stopped in a local gun shop and remember seeing flip-open scope covers, and I couldn't help but wonder if these could be modified into a beamshaper for the TL.

I don't remember the brand name, but they were less than $10, and came in a variety of sizes. I think there were models that would fit the TL.

John

Illuminated

Enlightened
Chris,

Ever get around to blasting (etching) a lens for beam-smoothing effect?

I recently tried this on the glass globes on PR-based lamps and got mixed results, though it did smooth the beam quite a bit.

I may try to mount a Borofloat into one of those flip-up scope protectors, and I'd rather diffuse in the lens than add WriteRight.

Off-topic: What kind of high-temp clear did you use on that TL reflector? Did it hold up to the heat of the lamp for extended periods?

John

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Illuminated - I have yet to blast a Borofloat. I need to get a hold of some AlO2 media to do these. My cabinet is full of glass bead at the moment - it worked a little on the Boro, not much - go figure, glass beading a glass lens...... I should be picking some up this week - along with some clean glass bead to do some more TL reflectors with.

Truthfully, my first TL texture was done without high temp paint (couldn't find any locally on Fri). I've had it on for maybe 5 minutes at one time and it has held up fine. Today, I picked up some automotive "engine enamel" that is said to contain a ceramic additive. I might try it tonight.

Chris

Illuminated

Enlightened
Chris,

Thanks - I've seen some 500-deg rated stuff in the local auto parts stores, but haven't had a chance to get some to try. (darned job - keeps me busier than I wanna be...)

I used some regular clear enamel on a Mag reflector with a 12-watt PR-based halogen lamp (and Borofloat), and the clear started bubbling after just a couple of minutes. And this was just a quick warm-up test for the 16-watt lamp due to arrive this week. I try again with the UCL...

Thanks again - John

DrGwat

Newly Enlightened
On my Tigerlight, I used some Dutch Boy clear gloss lacquer spray that I found in my workshop cabinet. It works great!

Very nice soft flood of light, inexpensive, leaves no residue, easily removable and/or modifiable, additional color possibilities, and I kid you not, an absolutly perfect snug fit.

Tigerlight Beamshaper

Dave
grin.gif

DrGwat

Newly Enlightened
Believe it or not, my improvised beamshaper-traffic wand(stub) actually works very well, and even clicks into place as if it were designed specifically for the Tigerlight. Maybe I'll even try posting beamshots.
tongue.gif

Since this was the very first spray paint can I selected, I really thought I was onto something.

Unfortunately however, I quickly discovered that such cans/caps come in many different shapes and sizes. None of the other 20 some products that I tried fit quite as nicely. YMMV

Dave

sf_man

Newly Enlightened
binky- sorry, I was excited about the possibility of the beamshaper (I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before myself), but I just tried and can confirm that the SF Beamshaper does not fit the TL

DrGwat- Absolutely ingenious! Looks like Dutch Boy Fresh Look Laqcuer Spray? I'm going to have to go look for that at the store today. Thanks for the great idea!

guncollector- I can't get extremely precise measurements, but using a simple tape measure it looks like the Tigerlight is about 61mm (as noted above) and the SF Turbohead Beamshaper is made to fit a head about 63mm in diameter (or somewhere in the 63-64mm range). So the Beamshaper is 2-3mm too big for the TL. Looks like it could be pretty easily modified, though, with an extra ring of rubber or something (perhaps a few good o-rings would work?). But for the cost, I'd definitely like to hear what turns out with the flip-up scope covers.

Tombeis

Enlightened
For the Flip Up Scope Covers: WWW.uncle-mikes.com

Click on the Butler Creek logo then click on Flip Up scope covers.

There are a varity of sizes available. From 1.451 inches to 2.725 inches.

I don't have a Tigerlight to measure, so I do not want to advise you as to the exact size.

You may find a problem with finding the exact diffusion material that Surefire uses. Someone else on the forum may be able to advise about a suitable material.

The price of the Flip Up cover was $9.49.