The Bazooka

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I've had this guy on the drawing board for months. I've been interested in making a 4AA 5W HD (BB750) light, since I believe this offers a good combination of brightness and runtime. However, my reflectored 5W HD lights have had beams that simply aren't tight enough. The solution: a Carley 3" parabolic. The geometry permits better collimation with the larger 5W source, plus captures more light that would otherwise be spilled.

I call this short, stubby, yet reasonably powerful light The Bazooka.
BazFront.jpg

One of the interesting features is the switch. About 95% of the time I "strobe" lights, using the switch in momentary mode. The Bazooka's switch mechanism, extracted from a tapeswitch, is within the black ring. Pressing anywhere on the ring activates the switch. The advantage of this switch is that it doesn't add to the length of the light since it encircles the emitter / heatsink / electronic assembly. I'll figure out the disadvantages through use.
BazSide.jpg

Here's a size comparison with a TigerLight on the left and a E1e/KL1 on the right.
BazCompare.jpg

I won't provide beamshots since the current reflector is the stock polished aluminum, and I suspect the metalized reflector (preferably orange peel) is perhaps 30% more efficient. The hotspot is about 1 foot in diameter at 15 feet.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
very cute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
and a very interesting switch! any constant on?
bernhard

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow, amazing!

i had no idea that this "tapeswitch" stuff existed, but i have given serious consideration to similar means of activation. i was actually thinking of using dozens of small switches around the outside of the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

talk about small /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Congrats on the Bazooka

Really nice light! What is the pricing on the tape switches like? Did you modify the tape switch or did you use it stock? Hard to intstall?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I love it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Great name too. Very clever idea with the tapeswitch.

BC

Otokoyama

Enlightened
There is no constant on.

The problem with the tape switches is getting them to bend around the circumference without switching them on. I finally resorted to taking apart the tapeswitch and using the internal mechanism in an odd way. Tapeswitches run about $25 each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Very nice and clean! I like the ergonomic switch solution!

Don

D

**DONOTDELETE**

We have some truly gifted craftsmen on this BB. How do you manage to hold such a slippery-looking thing?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
OOH! Very nice work as usual Paul. It appears that the large reflectors are becoming your particular niche specialty, well done!

I do know that short lengths of the tapeswitch can be had on those little pressure switches wired to a threaded cap for replacement of the MiniMag's, would just a small piece installed at one point still work?

I think they can be had for like $3.95 at Cheaper Than Dirt...

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Very nice work! Can't wait to see some beamshots of that one. Really like the switch solution as well.

SilverLegacy

Newly Enlightened
Great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I'm very interested in the switch and the reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I should mention that the reason I went with AAs is that they're NiMH. It's also designed to take a screw-in 2" parabolic, but the beam with the 3" is just what I was looking for.

This is what's inside. The thick orange lines are wires in drilled channels. "Battery" is a 4AA battery holder with terminals at the top which mate with delrin-insulated terminals within the heatsink which is reasonably big plus transfers heat to the reflector.
BazDiag.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, man... I got a D in mechanical drawing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

You fellahs amaze me. Terrific rendering, Oto. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I couldn't be able to see any picture, combination of great reflector, 4AA and 5W already good enough for me to get one at least:)

Alan