In Youtube, how are videos listed? It doesnt seem "popularity" is the case..

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Youtube, how are videos listed? It doesnt seem "popularity" is the case..

It too often seems that these "most popular" overall videos and most popular within certain categories dont seem like they really are the most popular. The total number of views doesnt seem to be the criteria for most popular, because on these lists the total number of views listed is all over the map as you scroll down and compare them. The #5 video will have 127,946 views, but the #4 video will have 16,382 views, so that cant be the criteria.

So then I thought it was just based on number of views that day, but there doesnt seem to be a listed number of views over 24 hours. Plus, normally when you surf through youtube, and you find videos that arent even close to being on any most popular lists, you'll often see 5-10-20-40 comments left over the last 24 hours. But when I went to the overall "most popular" youtube video last Tuesday, and left a comment, I then noticed that I was the ONLY person who had left a comment on that video in 24 hours! Really?? A controversial video that is #1 in popularity has zero comments other than mine even though its supposedly been watched a zillion times? Coincidence? Well maybe, if it didnt happen so often...

Its the same thing on Google, which BTW is connected to Youtube. I often look up what by all means should be very popular subjects or people, and I have to travel back through as many as 37 pages to find just 1 result that isnt on the other side of the subject. I look up a controversial figure after said controversy, which tens of millions of people are aware of, yet 80-99.7% of the results I get are older, and have nothing to do with the controversy, and are composed entirely of positive fluff.

Coincidence? But probably not if it happens one way every day.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
Re: In Youtube, how are videos listed? It doesnt seem "popularity" is the case..

and they keep suggesting what they think i meant.. or what they wanted me to mean.. not the thing i wrote. annoying in youtube, and 100 times more than that when using google. i type what i type, search that. not something else. not "google translated" something else. gimme what i look for for first 10 pages and then start giving off topic answers damn you google.. i think i must start using some other search engine if they will give me straight answers instead of guessing on their own.

about them videos i think some get popularity boost by advertising thats for sure. and some get popularity boost because their description or their comments contain a popular word (justin bieber anyone?) or that they are linked in some other popular video ("you also might like this").

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: In Youtube, how are videos listed? It doesnt seem "popularity" is the case..

and they keep suggesting what they think i meant.. or what they wanted me to mean.. not the thing i wrote. annoying in youtube, and 100 times more than that when using google. i type what i type, search that. not something else. not "google translated" something else. gimme what i look for for first 10 pages and then start giving off topic answers damn you google.. i think i must start using some other search engine if they will give me straight answers instead of guessing on their own.

about them videos i think some get popularity boost by advertising thats for sure. and some get popularity boost because their description or their comments contain a popular word (justin bieber anyone?) or that they are linked in some other popular video ("you also might like this").

For about 4 months I kept getting this 500 LED homemade flashlight almost every time I went to youtube, even though I never even watched the video, and when I would search for topics that had nothing to do with LED's or flashlights. I'd search for a video about "gallium induced structural failure of aluminum heat sink", and the 500 LED flashlight would be there in the results!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make

yeah, that darn showerhead! i also kept seeing that after i searched for flashlight videos and reviews. it was worse when i was logged in to the youtube account while searching or giving comments to flashlight threads. as i stopped logging in, it slowly disappeared from the searches. luckily dont see it anymore at all. (maybe it got enough negative comments)

its like they are spying/following you and logging all what you are interested and then just keep suggesting what they think you might like.. without any actual intelligence or knowledge of the subject.. just some random tags. they dont care what you actually look for. only generalise the search..

me, im a round peg, i will not fit into small square hole. google and youtube and like should stop trying to push it.