McLux II wishlist?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just some ideas, mostly half-baked. Some are in conflict with others. I don't think this should be taken too seriously, because if all of these are implemented, the result would be very close to a slightly modded E1e. Don has already mentioned a McLux redesign in a couple of posts, so he presumably has thought about this more than me and already knows what he wants to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1) retain compatibility with existing McLux (and Surefire E-series) parts where possible. Retain accessory ports.

2) extend tailswitch shroud just a bit. My 1x123 powerpack that I bought from the original DIY raffle (before the TK units shipped) has a longer shroud than the "real" DIY powerpacks I bought from the shoppe:

prototype_vs_diy.jpg

This difference makes the kroll protrude just a tiny bit and isn't enough to keep the swivel clip buttons from causing instability when the unit is stood on end.

3) A shoulder at the head-end of the battery tube that would function like the brass collars. In an ideal world, this would be removable, but I can't think of a good way to accomplish that without battery spacers or other inelegant hacks. This shoulder would be similar to the shoulder on the E2e, as it could serve as a mount point for a pocket clip (giving the option of either head-up or head-down carry, depending on whether the clip is mounted in the current position or in the new shoulder position). Additionally, the shoulder would be tapped with an additional tripod accessory port, and be tapped to take the swivel button as the collar does. I think the option of having the swivel button closer to the head would be nice. As it is now, the 2x123 and 3x123 are too long to be carried from the swivel clip when the button is all the way at the tail. The pocket clip would have to be a little bit shorter than it is now to work on a 1x123 body with this kind of shoulder.

3) A new head design that would accept an ecan/esink module. Preferably two new heads, one for McFlood/NX-O5/FraenLP and another for the Pelican reflector. I don't know if this design allows for sufficient thermal management for a 5-watter or hard-driven Luxeon-III.

4) Some other tailswitch option. The kroll is just such a pain sometimes. I don't know what other options there are, though. Maybe just threading at the end to match a E-series LOTC or Z57, then design the "official" McLux tailcap as a standalone piece. Not sure how crazy I am about this idea, as it increases complexity (and price, presumably).

5) HA-III /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. A 4 cell powerpack
2. A heavily brushed finish on the tube for better grip.
3. Extended pocketclips for the different body lengths.
4. Extended tailgaurd, so it stands on end without the wobble
5. A 4 cell powerpack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
6. A shallow countersink in the heatsink to make centering the luxeon a cinch.

Id agree with Tyler's assesment of the kroll, but i'll hold off comment on that, as McGizmo has already mentioned elsewhere that alternatives were being looked at.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
everything the Skunks will come up with, as long as there's one or two for me ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

zackhugh

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
everything the Skunks will come up with, as long as there's one or two for me ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that!

LukeK

Enlightened
McLux II? Oh crap -- I can audibly hear my wallet getting thinner already. And here I was going to be perfectly happy ith an LS4. Thanks ALOT guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif