Dedoming = higher CRI ???

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i was wondering if dedoming a led results in a higher CRI? Because i dedomed some Cree XRE's cool whites and they became warm-neutral white with far more natural color when i light somethings up. (the gras around the house was dark green-blue at first but after the dedoming its far more like daylight : real green.)
Help me out here. Thanks Marc

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The short version is:

The dome extracts light from the LED. Its curved surface reduces the amount of light that refracts back into the LED. Removing this dome puts a flat surface there, which sends light back into the phosphor. This restrike produces yellow-orange photons that change the tint of the light.

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
So, by saying : This restrike produces yellow-orange photons that change the tint of the light. You mean that the tint shift from lets say 6500K to 4500K ? This can be correct but does the CRI automatic goes up if the tint goes down? Because i like the colors that i see with the dedomed light much better than with the original xre.
greetings Marc

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrm. In broad terms, yes; more phosphor restrike will probably both lower CCT and increase CRI. This isn't due to any special magic of restrike, it just further masks the blue spike inherent in white LEDs by producing more of the phosphor output. Since the phosphor glow more-closely resembles the characteristic bell-curve spectral power distribution of black-body sources than does the blue LED's output, the CRI is likely to increase. However, a properly-designed high-CRI LED will probably give you higher output than a de-domed cold-white LED. There are also other ways to enhance restrike than carefully slicing LEDs up.

(Wiki spectral power distribution)
(White LEDs are just blue emitters with phosphor on top that down-convert blue photons to lower-energy red/orange/yellow)
(Most high CRI emitters are still missing much turquoise output)