TAD Gear LensLight Micro Ti TAD Edition

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Just noticed this little guy..

9417.jpg

A single AAA, 40 lumens. I'm tempted but TAD gear has always seemed a bit pricey to me, your thoughts?

marcis

Newly Enlightened
TAD Gear is awesome .. flashlights, knives and a few other things of theirs is ridiculously priced. What I do is buy the specialty items, wait until they go out of stock for the year, and then re-sell them on ebay for generally double the price I paid. I have done this with at least 10 items so far. I sold one TAD Gear Multicam bandanna for $75.00.. I only paid 25 (high to begin with).

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed this little guy..

9417.jpg

A single AAA, 40 lumens. I'm tempted but TAD gear has always seemed a bit pricey to me, your thoughts?

Looks interesting, but it only goes to 40 lumens. Rather low for a AAA. And it only has 1 mode.

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
A BIT pricey indeed at $105! ....some interesting features certainly, but nothing justifying that price.

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Equipment/LensLight-Micro-Ti-TAD-Edition

Bluelinegear sells them for $175 for the plain/smooth and $225 for the "delta wrap" which looks to be $50 more for some knurling around the middle, and that's for copper. Then they jump to over $500 for their collaborations with Starlingear and/or Strider Knives.

I'm really interested in this TAD-Edition, because it's titanium, but I can't find much information on them, since TAD-Gear seems to have removed that link before I had a chance to check it out.

I'd like to know how thick the titanium body is. Is the front bezel "hollow" or is it as thick as it looks in that picture above? The specs say the light is 16mm in diameter, which is almost twice as thick as other AAA lights I have. Is all that thickness from a solid chunk of titanium? Like how I imagine a McGizmo would be?

I've always wanted a titanium light, but when I got my 4Sevens Preon I was really unhappy with how thin the titanium was. I then realized I'd have to look much harder and found McGizmo, but I don't want to stray from the common AA and AAA form factors of eneloops and I don't want to buy a light that only runs on CR123's.

Does anyone know if this LensLight Micro is made from "thick stock"? Are the sidewalls beefy?

If not, does anyone know of a single AA or AAA titanium light that is "thicker" than the 4Seven's Preon?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford it, why not treat yourself for Xmas. Or a simple little Thrunite Ti for just a few dollars would give you a simple little two mode.

busseguy

Enlightened
LensLight is a freaking joke. You can get lights that do the exact same thing with the exact same quality for 1/8th the price :rolleyes:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
LensLight is a freaking joke. You can get lights that do the exact same thing with the exact same quality for 1/8th the price :rolleyes:

You pay your money and take your choice,if they have clients willing to pay high amounts for a tube and a battery so be it,we all do the same if you think about it.:grin2:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Someone told me the TAD Rhino patch I had was worth something, so I put it up on Ebay and it fetched $75. TAD Gear has some loyal fans!!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where? havent seen any well buildt aaa zoomlight yet. This is the first aaa zoomlight i have seen that i want, and actually ended up ordering a alu version. Find a aaa zoomlight light with theese specs for 1/8 of the price and ill buy it.

(1) AAA Battery
Patented Focusable Aspheric Lens System
Single Output twisty operation
High Tolerance American CNC Machining
Single Lens- high impact hardened glass
Chem-Kote Contacts and Heat sink
Aerospace Grade Thermal Potting and Flow Management
Weather Proof/Water Resistant
XP-G2 LED - 20% Brighter!
Fully Regulated Light Engine

Output:
High: 40 Lumens
Length: 2.94 in.
Bezel Diameter: 0.650 in.
Runtime:Single Output: w/lithium AAA battery - 7 hours

Last edited:

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
TAD does an amazing job of selling stuff at ridiculously high priced based solely on their brand label. I'll give them mad props though - they do a great job of putting out low volume, decent quality stuff and creating this amazing demand for it. It seems that their market is no longer the "hard use" crowd, but rather the group that collects high-end fashion and gear.

norb240

Newly Enlightened
I have this light on its way here to texas! ill let yall know how it works out!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The walls of the lense light is really really thick. Compare it with any other aaa light, and you got a huge chunk of ti. The tailcap and head is thin walled. The body of the lense light is the tk20 of aaa lights.. Super beefy.
img0483ll.jpg

Nice tint on the neutral xp-g2 on mine. The beam/output can be compared with tain's ti p0. A little brighter, and different tint. Judging on the beams, it's hard to tell them apart. The tailcap is a bit gritty, maby because it was dry out of the box. Feels better than many other Ti twistys i have handled once it got some lube on the tailcap.
The zoom function is a joke. It wont let you focus the light for throw. Can only focus it a little bit, and the gain in lux is microscopic, but you can clearly see the loss of lumens. It's really nice as a mulehead, but crappy as a zoomlight.

Compared with the similar priced ti p0, i feel i got more "useful ruggedness" for my money with the lenselight. The ti p0 is more bling, but i alredy have killed 2 normal p0's so i know they are not rugged, and the little bling needs to be babyed to survive me.
Not the brightest, but far from the dimmest 100$+ aaa ti light on the marked. I like it.

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
(1) AAA BatteryMachined Billet Copper (2) housing
Patented Focusable Aspheric Lens System
Single Output twisty operation
High Tolerance American CNC Machining
Single Lens- high impact hardened glass
Chem-Kote Contacts and Heat sink
Aerospace Grade Thermal Potting and Flow Management
Weather Proof/Water Resistant
Premium Bin CREE XP-G LED
Fully Regulated Light Engine

Output:
High: 40 Lumens
Length: 2.94 in.
Bezel Diameter: 0.650 in.
Runtime:Single Output: w/lithium AAA battery - 7 hours

Batteries: 1xAAA (accepts lithium, alkaline, or rechargable AAA baterries)

Has anyone tried a 10440 cell in one of these? What would it do? Would it double the output lumens from 40 to 80? Is this light "regulated"? Would it be dangerous to try?

Is it only 40 lumens because there is no reflector?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wanted a titanium light, but when I got my 4Sevens Preon I was really unhappy with how thin the titanium was. I then realized I'd have to look much harder and found McGizmo, but I don't want to stray from the common AA and AAA form factors of eneloops and I don't want to buy a light that only runs on CR123's.

McGizmo has a new AA light engine - perfect for Eneloops.

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo has a new AA light engine - perfect for Eneloops.

I have since realized how ignorant my statement was those few months ago. Apparently, I was scared of new battery technology, while trying to get the newest technology in lighting. I have since come around, and plan on getting into the LiPo4 technology and more, but thanks for the heads up, I'll search for the AA McGizmo.

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
What's the deal with no reflector? The beam on mine is the most perfectly smooth and flawless I've ever seen, I guess because there's no reflector? If someone were to put a reflector in there, would that increase its output? Maybe make it throw further and tighten the beam? There's some room between the XP-G and the lens, I was thinking I might commandeer a reflector from another light, grind it down until it fits, or something.