Dorcy 1AA LS Mod vs. Other Lil' Lights

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Dorcy 1AA LS Mod vs. Other Lil\' Lights

It took me a little while to find all the parts but Thanks to Red Robby's tip that the circuit was in the BODY (and not the head!), it all came together. After I was done I thought I'd compare it to some of the other tiny lights of the same approximate output (well, FORMERLY the same output anyways).

And so the little Dorcy 1AA was transformed from 3-Nichia configuration into Q3J HD Luxeon w/Fraen Low Profile optic configuation, driven with the same (stock) circuit on just a single AA, and it works quite well.

Here it is with seom other lil' tiny lights it will pick on tonight, the Infinity Ultra-G, Dorcy 1AAA/1-Nichia, and Arc AAA but in CNC Dan's really tiny and slim lil' AAAA body:

Dorcy%20Line%20-%204.jpg

Here are their beam outputs in the same order:

Dorcy%20Beam%20-%204.jpg

The Dorcy kinda stomps'em all, doesn't it? Hey, no fair putting a Luxeon against those poor little Nichias. Let's be fair, and put it up against some real competition.

Here it is with a slightly modified Arc LSH-P. Now first of all this was the absolute brightest and whitest Arc LS of any version I had ever handled, and being there is a local Arc dealer right here in Hawaii (but unfortunately for how much longer we don't know), I had a chance to handle Quite a few over the past year. This was already the brighest and whitest, and to top things off this was the one that I also stuck a Fraen Low Profile optic in, and it made 439 lux (not that it matters, but the "different" look of this one was the simple addition of a RAM tailswitch in place of the stock Kroll in the 123 TSP -- and no, it doesn't screw in all the way):

Dorcy%20Arc%20Line.jpg

Here's the beam comparison with modified Dorcy on the left:

Dorcy%20Dorcy%20Arc%20Beam.jpg

Whoa, kinda spanks the Dorcy now, doesn't it?

But bullies were made to be avenged, so now I had to trot out my Siamese LGI, which is essentially TWO LGIs conjoined into one homemade aluminum body, using a Mouser 3AA battery pack with integral on-off slide switch, two NX-05 optics held in place with two of those impossible-to-find Lumileds optics collars, yet the whole thing manages to be smaller than a deck of cards:

Dorcy%20Siamese%20Arc%20Line.jpg

Beamshots w/Siamese LGI on the left:

Dorcy%20Siamese%20Arc%20Beam.jpg

And our Avenging Angel now kills the Arc. In fact the Siamese LGI with "only" Batwing Luxeons and "only" NX-05 optics was the first small light I made that broke the 1,000 lux mark. Imagine what it would do with two HD Q3Js and two Fraens transplanted on there...

This is what the internals look like on the Siamese when the cover is slid off to change the three AAs:

Dorcy%20Siam%20Open.jpg

But this post is more about the Dorcy mod, so here are some pics of parts needed to get it into its present form.

First the head from the front -- all internals and stock lens/retaining ring were gutted, replaced by the Fraen on top of which there is a new flat lens, all held in place by an o-ring stuffed into the groove already milled around the inside lip of the bezel:

Dorcy%20Lens%20Front.jpg

Then a look at the parts that go into the head (note how the new, high-quality flat lens was carefully crafted by yours truly):

Dorcy%20Head%20Parts.jpg

A copper disk-and-pcb sandwich was used for the battery anode contact:

Dorcy%20Head%20-%20Rear.jpg

And these are the two brass washers and edge-trimmed Star necessary for both heatsinking (probably overkill here given the low output of the stock circuit) as well as to achieve the correct height to mate snugly under the Fraen/lens/o-ring combo above it:

Dorcy%20Pill%20Parts.jpg

And a final look at the six contestants, all winners in their own right:

Dorcy%20Line%20All.jpg

Oh yeah, the lux on the Dorcy? Just 148, but with recent informal tests by fellow CPF'ers that reported this circuit was still able to produce light with "dead" batteries that no longer worked in the Arc AAA and other lights known for their frugality, this mod may prove to be the just-right balance between brightness and runtime, and it even has a key loop...

Thanks for reading!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Dorcy 1AA HD/Fraen Mod vs. Other Lil\' Tiny Lights

good cheese charlie, those image size are enough to make a dial-up user explode! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

but from what pictures have loaded, the mod looks very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Thanks Roth,

I'll have to see what I can do about resizing. It's a new host I'm running these off of.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice Charlie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
for the size, arc is still the winner. Dorcy is just too fatty, IMHO.

roth, switch to broadband already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice Mod Charlie! I haven't seen the Dorcy 1AA-3LED circuit but I have looked carefully at the 1AAA-1LED version. The two may be similar. If so, there will be a 1 ohm resistor in series with the LED that enables easy measurement of current to the LED. Did you happen to measure the current to the LED? It would be nice to know. Also, if this resistor is present, you can get a little more output as well as better efficiency by shorting across it.
EDIT : BTW, the measurement of voltage across the sense resistor should be made with an average reading, *not* a "true RMS" reading, voltmeter. Due to the large ripple component in the LED current a "true RMS" reading voltmeter will give an erroneous reading.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great job, as usual.
Q1: Any way to put a clickie on the Dorcy 1AA?
Q2: Might you will be selling these? (is it a PITA to mod)
Q3: The Siamese: Have you considered two seperate on/off switches - one emmiter with a spot optic, and the other emmitter with a flood optic? (toss, throw, or WHOA!)

Sonic

Newly Enlightened

Another nice mod, Charlie. If that circuit is as efficient as it sounds, it should run for hours on a single AA battery! Or you could use the half-dead batteries from other lights and still get decent life out of them. I'm curious about how much current the LED sees also.

Darryl

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Doug, I am going to let Sonic come over and measure the current later, he's an electronics field tech and good at that kind of stuff. Me, I just throw'em together and if they work, hey, that's good enough for me!

Did you get all those dead Luxeons yet?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

It should be safe to take the head and put it on the 4LED 2AA body for an extra boost of power. I'm assuming of course, that the 2AA body has the boost circuit in it also. If you put 2 lithium AAs in it, the current might come close to spec. Not sure how the boost circuit would handle the extra output, though.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Doug, I am going to let Sonic come over and measure the current later, he's an electronics field tech and good at that kind of stuff. Me, I just throw'em together and if they work, hey, that's good enough for me!

Did you get all those dead Luxeons yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll look forward to his findings.
Nope, I haven't seen those dead luxeons yet.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Re: Dorcy 1AA HD/Fraen Mod vs. Other Lil\' Tiny Lig

One question - who makes that really nice AAAA light? It looks awesome. More pics?

BTW, fine job on the mod. I'm surprised to see that the Dorcy 1AAA measures about the same as the Arc AAA and has a better beam and (from what i heard) similar battery life, even though the Dorcy is unregulated.

Kudos to Dorcy for raising our expectations of what a $ 6 flashlight should do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

MR_Bulk: tried to send PM, but got this error: "This user is not accepting private messages."

Just wanted you to know that the package was sent and ought to arrive this time next week or early the next.

Keep on modding!

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll look forward to his findings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charlie, did Sonic do the measurements? Is there any update on this? I don't do many Mods but when these finally hit the Walmarts I think that I will be modding one too.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Doug,

When next Sonic and I meet, I will remind him. He rarely gets aaaaalllllll the way over to this side of the island! (no wonder I have a hard time driving on the mainland -- over here sometimes you have to literally drive nearly an HOUR to get anywhere, and that's Way too far...)

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

irfanview is a good picture (and music and video) viewer that can resize jpg's. nice aa mod.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just received the light an hour ago, 1:15 PM Nova Scotia time. Completely blows the doors off the standard Dorcy 3 LED light!!! I've looked longingly at the Arc lights, but this one's going to keep me happy feeding it inexpensive AA cells. (123's are C$10 a pop here.) Great job Charlie!! Thanks! It's nice knowing I've got the only one like it in the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

unclearty

Enlightened

Well..I got off my butt this weekend and modded my 1AA. I did mine a little differently. If you CAREFULLY remove the retaing ring over the lens with a small denatl pick tool, it can be reused later. I removed everyting out of the head by gently pushing up from inside. I took the PCB board with the 3 leds and carefully cut them off flush. A little fliling removed the remaining stubs. I carefully ground the pointed edges off a Luxeon star and using epoxy mixed with aluminum paste , epoxied the star to the top of the original PCB. Next morning, I cut a couple of grooves in the side of the PCB for wires to attach to the conductors on the bottom of the PCB. Slid the assembly down into the head and placed a NXOR lens on top...the original retainer even fits perfectly. Fired it up and got a very nice beam with a squarish center and goodly amount of spill. All in all, a very nice...not too complicated mod.

hideo

Enlightened

seconding IrfanView for resize and sample and everything else imagewise--it's faster loading and does 99% of what I need a viewer to do and the price or lack thereof clinches it

I'm dialup so it really makes a difference ...

so where are you guys tapping into this unlimited fountain of stock Dorcy 1 AAs to mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

hideo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just saw this. Nice work Charlie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been EDC'ing this little beauty now for about a week now and I just love it. It's a great size and is a good balance between throw and output... plus, I'm still running on the original Kirkland AA that Charlie fed it. Although the Arc runs circles around it, note that Arc's upcoming new dimmable light will keep a lot of people happy at outputs like I'm getting. I live in rural Nova Scotia and I can light up the tops of trees about 150' away, plus I can illuminate close-up items at my desk without scorching my eyeballs or consuming expen$ive 123 lithium batteries. My other Dorcy 3LED 1AA is now gathering dust on my bookshelf. Great work Charlie!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif