Laymen advice on rechargeable D cells for someone purchasing a Coast HP17TAC

Yossarian14

Newly Enlightened
I am purchasing a Coast HP 17TAC today and determined that I'm still as confused as ever after a few hours. Please recommend me what you view is the best cell for this light and any tips on chargers if you'd like. My biggest goal is to keep the light at its highest potential output and the long term life of the battery. I'll be around to answer any questions necessary to help me make a decision. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I have been looking at the Tenergy Premium 10000mAh NiMH. The flashlight will be use in North Dakota this winter so capable of functioning in the cold.

Thanks.

Edit: I apologize, I just realize there is a subforum more suitable for my question.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the best charger you can afford.

If you buy top of the line cells and a cheap charger you'll never get the full potential out of those cells.

If you buy a good charger and mid priced cells you'll have the best of both worlds (I do, anyway).

After using many chargers over the years the Accumanager 20 is my favorite. not expensive (~$50), very gentle on the cells (important) and it tested well in SilverFox's charger shootout. It's versatile in that it has four SMART channels where you may mix or match any combo of AAA, AA, C or D cells. It also has two DUMB channels for 9v -- which I don't use. All channels will charge NiMH and NiCD.

I'm on my second one in eight years. I probably run 800-1,000 charge cycles through it a year. It also runs on 12v which is how I use mine.

APGIllini

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious how you found the HP17Tac. I've been eyeing these for a while, but I haven't pulled the trigger. How long can you maintain peak output intensity before a noticeable decrease? Thanks.