Review: Zebralight H600F (vs Ultrafire UF-H3b)

Matjazz

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight_H600F_6134.jpg

battery18650
LEDCree XM-L
switchmicro switch
modes9
lens typebalanced flood
price$89
ordered fromZebralight

PROS:

• Very well built
  • current regulated (no PWM)
  • Rich selection of modes that are easy to preset
  • 12 days of usable light, 80 days of glow
  • 720 lumen max brightness
  • negligible parasitic drain
  • accurate specification of run times

CONS

• price
  • no dedicated helmet mount

Why so exensive light?
Before I got Zebralight H600F I had Ultrafire UF-H3b that I ordered to see how usable this type of lights are. I turned out good but the Ultrafire is no way near waterproof and it has nasty PWM. So I decided to pay big bucks for Zebralight.

Build★★★★

Both lights are approximately the same size and I didn't notice any difference in weight especially with battery inserted. The H600F has recessed switch which is better. The UF-H3b is easy to disassemble while H600F has smooth rings around switch and lens. I tested it in a glass of water and it held 2 hours while OTOH I blew through a battery tube of UF-H3 and I thought I bought a whistle. Why is a star missing? Besides spare O-ring I'd also like a spare switch boot and ability to replace it.

Zebralight_H600F_6136.jpg

Zebralight_H600F_6130.jpg

Runtimes★★★★★
The H600F has appealing run times (using Panasonic 2900mAh) and many modes, yet easy mode selection. I've put together a table of modes (sans blink)

Zebralight_H600F_spec.gif

I got H600F for caving and I had to know what run times to expect of it. I tested it with Panasonic 2900mAh and Sanyo 2600mAh batteries both unprotected.

Zebralight_H600F_Panasonic2900.gif

Zebralight_H600F_Sanyo2600.gif

Seeing how close the measured runtime is to the specified run time Zebralight gained my trust. I was surprised how short it lasted on medium mode with Sanyo battery. Perhaps it's because I did the run time test with Sanyo on first charge (maybe I'll run it again)
For comparison I did a run time test with UF-H3b using the same Panasonic 2900mAh battery

Ultrafure_UF-H3b_Panasonic2900.gif

On high it burned quite hot while the H600F was only warm at H2 162 lumen mode. It also started flickering as battery drained.

Beam★★★★★
The H600F has a very well balanced flood. It shines almost 180° and while it has some sort of hot spot it is so diffused that I rarely found my self turning my head around just to light up what I wanted to see. Even though I like the combo of bare emitter with TIR optic spot best the H600F is a very good compromise between flood and some throw.

H600F
Zebralight_H600F_6137.jpg

K5__2063.jpg

UF-H3b
Ultrafure_UF-H3b_6140.jpg

K5__2064.jpg