Mode Behavior: A 14500 and the Quark Pro QPA Gen2

lostistc

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all,

I just got my first "proper" light in the form of a Quark Pro QPA Gen2 (with the Cree XP-G2 LED). I also grabbed a couple UltraFire 14500 900mah rechargeables.

I love the light. It's awesome. I could spend a long time talking about how awesome it is. I won't, but I could.

However, I am experiencing strange behavior while using the 14500 (it's fine on a regular Alkaline AA). The light reverts back to its "default" after being turned off - Max with bezel tight, Moonlight with bezel loose - in 12 and 20 seconds, respectively (instead of the 3 seconds it should be).

I've removed the 14500 and am now using a Alkaline AA. I also checked the 14500 (after some use) on the multimeter - it's at 4.03v. For what it's worth, the light worked fine while I was using the 14500; low modes were preserved, and max was significantly brighter.

I've gotten what I paid for, and these UtlraFire's are probably bad. But I'm befuddled by how this "bad" is being exhibited. Why is the time-delay for mode reset affected by the choice of battery?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Lost

lostistc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks moshow9; for all the reading I've done I don't know how I missed that.

Another thread mentions that the XM-L version doesn't suffer the same problem. Can anyone confirm this?

edit:
Er, nevermind. Found it in the original linked thread, XM-L head looks to work fine.

Last edited: