Streamlight protac 2 AA Don't use 14500's!

nissanmaster1996

Newly Enlightened
I didn't care if I did damage to my protac 2AA just wanted to see if it could use 14500 batteries, It eats AA's up like crazy. At first it worked great! Extremely bright, still is. All the modes still work but now when fully clicked it doesn't stay on, it's only momentary now.

Illum

Flashaholic
okay... so whats your gripe?:shakehead

In simple terms, 14500 li-ion does NOT exist in the consumer market as a seperate rechargeable item. You won't be able to find it in any general store nor will you find off the department store shelf lights that will have drivers to accomodate it. 2AA would mean the driver was designed to be operated at 3V max, or roughly the depleted voltage of one li-ion, you used two. Fully charged would be 8.4V, I'm surprised it actually functioned at all.
Why not use Eneloops? Would have cost you alot less money, and the runtime will be more worthwhile than 14500s

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
when fully clicked it doesn't stay on, it's only momentary now.

your light is all right.
check the tail cap. tighten the retainer ring with a pair of tweezers.
the retainer ring is loose. that's all.

believe me.

nissanmaster1996

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted it to be brighter, I have alot of other lights so didnt care. Just bought a thrunite 2A, nice light. Eneloops are 1.2 volts so will not be as bright, Zinc rechargables are interesting? 1.65 volt AA size. Wonder how they would work?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could leave the entire switch assembly aside and bridge the connection with a copper cable. connect the minus pole of the battery to the bare aluminum ring of the flashlight body tube with a piece of wire. this closes the circuit and the light should flash.

if it does, then the driver is fine, undamaged.

it also means that your switch assembly has a faulty idunno.

Verndog

Enlightened
okay... so whats your gripe?:shakehead

Why not use Eneloops? Would have cost you alot less money, and the runtime will be more worthwhile than 14500s

It runs way brighter, and warms the hands instantly @ 8.4v though!