Dorcy K2 LED Spotlight, Camping Backpack Flashlight, Wireless Motion Light

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
"for submission in the Reviews forum"

At the last Flashlight Camping Weekend [FCW-9] I was able to pick up some new lights that I am reviewing.

The first one is a Wireless Motion Ceiling Light battery powered light that doesn't quite meet the definition of a flashlight. It does however fill a dark place in my life, the closet. Running on 4C cells its been ready to light up my utility closet every time I'm in need of a tool. Recently an unwelcome visitor named Sandy came calling and I needed some tools and extension cords for my generator, I opened the closet and was shocked to find one part of my house had been unaffected and still had power. The closet lit up just like normal. Unlike other motion sensing under cabinet style lights this one is a warm white and there is a nice wide flood lens over the reflector and LED, which looks like a Cree MX-3. Its been active for 2 months and still bright when it is activated.

The second light is the Camping Backpack Flashlight, but I see it as a tent light. A lantern actually. The led is a 5mm with an optic to widen the beam and a dome cover. Its basic runs on 3AAA simple on/off, but the fold away carabiner style clip on the bottom says this lantern was designed for tent light duty.
While Sandy was in town I attached the lantern to my bathroom ceiling light and ran it for 2 days before it dimmed down. The DieHard batteries would have lasted longer if I turned it off at night, but it was good to find out the light is probably direct driven. I can see some mod possibilities but it gets the job done.

Finally I get to the 298 Lumen K2 LED Spotlight. First impression is wow thats a huge reflector! Powering a K2 TFFC off 4 'C' cells the lights reflector can produce a brilliantly focused pencil beam. One of the closest lights that I have seen to an aspheric in throw. If you have seen a new Mag-LED 3D with the XP-E this spot blows it away. There is side spill but it is mostly from unreflected light coming straight out the front. The smooth reflector gets almost all the light into a tight hot spot. Though its only 298lm it is brighter at 500ft than some lights putting out twice the lumens. As a spotlight this one excels. There is also an adjustable head pivot. I took advantage of this feature to use this light during hurricane Sandy as a ceiling bounced room light. I was slightly worried about the LED overheating in its plastic shell but it ran fine until the batteries started to die. Perhaps there is enough metal in there but then the led is rated to a 1.5amp max so the package is robust. The Dorcy website now has it listed as the upgraded XP-G version at 300lm. But the form is unchanged plus its under $40.

These were provided to us by DorcyDirect.com along with Diehard Batteries
Dorcy also makes a Diehard Brand Flashlight but other campers were quicker in picking those up
or I would have reveiwed some of them here as well. Thanks for reading.

P1090641.jpg

P1090642.jpg

P1090643.jpg
P1090644.jpg
P1090645.jpg

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great reviews Brian! I really like the Dorcy stuff, I think they make great lights in their segment/price range.

I was just telling Bill that the DieHard batteries we got from Dorcy have been looking really good so far, out performing the standard Copertops and Batteries Plus, Werker brand batteries I put them up against so far.

I was happy to see you had your Dorcy spotlight with you at Scott's house, I didn't get down to the quarry in time to see how it performed there. I'm guessing it did pretty well. --Tim

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't carry it to the quarry and I forgot to try it across the field but I've got an Idea of how it works from playing at the FCW along the powerlines