Need help with Zebralight decision

jbrett14

Enlightened
Fellow flashaholics, I am struggling between getting the SC600 vs. using that money toward the S6330

I don't have money to burn so I am not going to buy both of them. :) Of course, I have said this before, and ended up succumbing to the addiction. :)

Here are my thoughts: I have the SC51 and will likely replace it with the SC52 later, to be used for more of an EDC light. As much as I love of what I can tell of the SC600, I don't think I would ever EDC it (the SC51 is already bigger than I prefer for EDC).
So, if my purpose for the SC600 is just for taking on camping trips, checking out things in the night on my 3 acre property, etc,. and carrying it in a pack or coat pocket, would it not make more sense to have the much more powerful S6330 which looks like it too would be small enough to carry in that same way?

Given that neither of these lights would be my EDC light, can anyone offer any pros or cons to these two lights?
Why would you choose one over the other, assuming neither are used for EDC?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there are a LOT of issues surrounding this decision, because not only are the lights very different, but they are in different price ranges.

Since you already have the SC51, it depends on how satisfied you are with that. Certainly I would think that the expectations of the correction of the side-button design to not come on in your pocket would be a big plus for the SC52. Also, it depends on if you want to use the 14500 ability. If neither of those is important to you, I doubt that the difference of just the XML or XPG2 will be enough to push the decision over the edge. It's not out yet, but we have a fairly good idea of what it will do because the SC51 is already here, and we know what an XML and XPG2 can do.

As for the SC600, it's popular and it takes an 18650, and it doesn't have the button problem. It's still in the fairly affordable category, but in the $100 category, it is facing some stiff competition from other makers, so it comes down to if you HAVE to have that Zebralight UI. If you don't, then there are quite a few other choices which might be looked at, which have specific good points of their own, but different.

Regarding the 6330, nobody has that yet, so we really only know what the papers say. However, it does take multiple 18650 batteries, and I can't remember if it is 3 or 4 of them. So that is a fairly sizable cost expenditure in batteries of probably around $60-$80 for just one set.
Also, at $200 price range, there are PLENTY of other lights at that price range that will compete very strongly against this light. Again, it might come down to how much you HAVE to have this Zebralight UI. Because there will be other lights that might be brighter, or higher build quality, or other aspects which might be considered in their favor. At $200, you can buy some VERY nice American-made lights, and there are some Chinese lights in that category(or even lower price) that can be brighter and may be just as good(or better) in other ways, but not have the Zebralight UI.

So, there are many things to consider.

And remember the way the eye perceives light. A 2400 lumen light is only 3db brighter than a 1200 lumen light. And if the 2400 lumen light has a step-down for heat management, then it isn't any brighter than the 1200 lumen light is after that happens. And there are 1200 lumen lights out there for $200 or less that don't step down.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Thanks for the response twl.

There are a couple things I should add:

I also own the JetBeam BC40 that I use for my stated purpose - camping and checking things out in the back yard at night. Therefore, my goal would be to get AT LEAST as much light, in a smaller package. Run time is not critical as I have plenty of 18650's.

Additionally, I have come to dislike ANY light that does not have it's switch where my thumb rests while holding the light with my normal grip. My favorite thing about the Zebralight, in addition to it's excellent UI, is the location of the switch. Any tail end switch or twisty will not be considered.

I realize there is a big cost difference between the two lights in question, but if I buy the SC600, and then end up getting the S6330, I will have spent far more than had I just bought the S6330 in the first place. I guess I need to wait to see some beamshots of the S6330. I have been checking out various beamshots on Fonarik's website, of lights with similar lumen output, and from what I can see, there is a HUGE difference between an 800 lumen light (like the JB BC40) vs. a 2,000+ lumen light. This is what has kept me from just getting the SC600 already.

I agree that there are plenty of lights out there, which can compete with Zebralight in price and quality, but I have yet to see any that have an ergonomically-correct switch in such a small package. Because of this, I tend to want all my lights to be Zebralight. I wish more companies would follow in their footsteps. It would be nice to have more choices.

Thanks again for the response. Much appreciated.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood.
Just remember that the camera is not your eyes.

The camera is not operating on a logarithmic db scale.
But your eyes ARE.

Samy

Enlightened
I have the SC51, i used to EDC it. I now EDC the SC600 everynight at work in my pocket and use it everynight at work. After almost 10 months carrying and using it everynight i still am awestruck by it's output. The SC600 is pocketable and EDC'able and i don't notice it in my pocket. The S6330 is going to be 3x thicker than the SC600 and will not be anywhere near as pocketable as the SC600. If you are not going to pocket carry an SC600 because it's too big, i would wait for the S6330 as it seems to me that you're after a powerful 'go-to' light, you know, something big and powerful that you need to go and get from the shelf or pull out of a backpack. The Klarus ST20 (1200 lumens 2x 18650's) is my current "go-to" in conjunction with my SC600 as although pure flood it does twice the output of the SC600 so gets much more distance. I'm still keen to see the reviews of the S6330, might have to get one ;) You can never have too many lumens sometimes ;).

cheers

hb-light

Newly Enlightened
Jbrett, I would be looking to see if that sc52 could replace the sc600 instead of the sc51. Here's why: beam types.
I suggest comparing all the beam types. I own a sc50+ and a sc600 and the respective hotspot values are 8.6deg. and 10deg (spills are both 80deg). With just a small difference in angles (about 1.4deg) makes a big difference... my sc50+ and sc600 both have 200 lumen modes.. although they both have the same brightness, the difference becomes very apparent at 4 meters away. The sc600 was much brighter.
The sc52 has an even bigger angle than both of them at a 12deg hotspot (80spill). The sc600 hotspot looks fantastic; it can light my room at 200lumens as I point it up at the ceiling, but I shudder to think of what a 12deg hotspot can do to my room...I mean... it's only a 1deg difference from a sc600, but as you move further and further away from a reference point (i.e. a wall at 3 or 4 meters) the difference in hotspot size is noticeable.
So at 4 or 5 meters or so, you'll actually see the sc52 (12deg.) illuminating the way better than the sc600 (10deg.) at the 500 lumen mode due to the larger surface area that the sc52 can produce. So moral of the story: The larger the hotspot angle, larger the surface area, the brighter something is.
If you're planning on leaving a light on high at 500 lumens for longer than 1-minute for some reason (searching for something you lost in the dark outside) go with the sc600. But if you're using it for something less than a minute (seeing your way), then get then sc52.
Regarding the s6330, it has the same beam type (so 10deg and 80deg) as the sc600 except it can be much brighter if you want it to... so it acts much more of a thrower with respect to the sc52 and sc600. Also due to the 3xml and reflectors it's a better flooder too :).
So if you're already going to get the sc52, just skip the sc600 and just save up for the s6330.
Sorry about the long one and hope this helps.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not get either of them.
If you really want Zebralight, then go for the S6330.
I would consider the Thrunite TN30 or the L3 K40.

jbrett14

Enlightened
If you are not going to pocket carry an SC600 because it's too big, i would wait for the S6330 as it seems to me that you're after a powerful 'go-to' light, you know, something big and powerful that you need to go and get from the shelf or pull out of a backpack.

I think you might be right. Although I have REALLY wanted the SC600, I realize that because it won't be an EDC light for me, that this is why I have held out, waiting for the more powerful S6330.

I'm just trying to reason it all out before I make the purchase.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

jbrett14

Enlightened
So if you're already going to get the sc52, just skip the sc600 and just save up for the s6330.

That's kind of the way I am leaning.

Part of my struggle is that I think the SC600 is such a great small light and I would love to own it, but in reality, I know it won't be the powerhouse to replace my JetBeam BC40. Therefore, your advice here makes sense. Otherwise, where would the SC600 fit into my needs if I already have more than enough of a general purpose light in the SC51 (or SC52). My logic says to wait for the S6330 to replace my BC40 but my heart REALLY wants to find a "need" for that SC600.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Heres the thing. You mentioned a few times you wanted something that is compact and as much as you're looking for a light that is compact, it'll be most likely that you will be reaching for it in a pack and not in your pocket.

I was actually in the same boat as you. I wanted something edcable or have an edc light AND get a medium sized 18650 light for work. I ended up getting a fenix tk15s2. Although it still fits in my front right pocket, it is certainly not something you can use as an EDC. And I didn't like the idea of having two diff lights. It became a hassle constantly reaching for it in my backpack. So I realized I wanted a ridiculously bright pocket light exclusively that I can use in any situation.

For me to pocket a medium sized light at work 10 hrs a day, the sc600 is nothing. I don't feel it one bit in my pocket. In fact, it's in my front right jean pocket right now and I don't feel a thing.

The thing about the sc600 is its pocketable and the 750+ lumens will cover 90% percent of your uses. If anything, 100% of the time, unless you want to have a reason to look for something past 150m ahead of you. And the 18650 will run way longer than a 14500 that you use with a sc51 and eventually with the sc52 if you buy it.

Do you really want to pay $200 for a light? And also end up spending more $ getting the sc52? There are a ton of lights out there that'll rival an untested (since it hasn't come out yet) s6330 for way less. It seems like you like the Ui and button location of zebralights so it seems you're pretty convinced in getting a ZL.

Go with the sc600. It's less than $100 with an awesome runtime and ridiculous amount of lumens. It's a flame thrower in your pocket. It's got the UI and button location you like and it disappears in your pocket. It'll cover all basis. Outdoor and indoor. It'll save you $100 from the s6330 and another $60+ (or however much it costs) you'll be spending on the sc52 if you choose to buy it.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
I would consider the Thrunite TN30 or the L3 K40.

In an earlier post, I stated: "Any tail end switch or twisty will not be considered."

For me, it is essential to have the switch where it's most ergonomically-correct while holding the light with a normal grip (with thumb near the head). If I am going to spend $100+ on a light, at very least, the switch needs to be where it makes sense to me. I think of a flashlight like a handgun. I wouldn't want the trigger to be in a place where I had to re-grip the gun just to pull the trigger. I realize this may not be a great analogy, but it's the way I am inclined to think. I like to hold my light, and be able to switch it on or off, and change modes, all with one grip.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
In an earlier post, I stated: "Any tail end switch or twisty will not be considered."

For me, it is essential to have the switch where it's most ergonomically-correct while holding the light with a normal grip (with thumb near the head). If I am going to spend $100+ on a light, at very least, the switch needs to be where it makes sense to me. I think of a flashlight like a handgun. I wouldn't want the trigger to be in a place where I had to re-grip the gun just to pull the trigger. I realize this may not be a great analogy, but it's the way I am inclined to think. I like to hold my light, and be able to switch it on or off, and change modes, all with one grip.

Looks like your choices have been refined to ZL's :) certainly it'll make things a little easier.

jbrett14

Enlightened
You mentioned a few times you wanted something that is compact and as much as you're looking for a light that is compact, it'll be most likely that you will be reaching for it in a pack and not in your pocket.

My mention of "pocket" was more to do with a jacket or coat pocket, rather than my pants pocket. This light will serve more of a "search light" purpose rather than a general purpose EDC light.

One of the things I will use the light for is to light up the dark woods at night, in search for wildlife. A floody thrower would be preferred over an all throw light. This is just one more reason I like Zebralight, besides the switch function\location.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Looks like your choices have been refined to ZL's :) certainly it'll make things a little easier.

Correct. My very first post stated that it was between two Zebralight lights. No other lights were being considered, simply because I have yet to see any other light that has a switch like Zebralight, and with similar output.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Idk man..you really won't be sorry if you chose the sc600..it'll be your edc and can take on any lighting task with 780 lumens (selfbuilts test).

hb-light

Newly Enlightened
Jbrett,

All I can say is that sc52's 500lm is going to be brighter than sc600's 500lm. This is due to sc52's wider hotspot angle of 12deg in comparison to sc600's 10deg. This 2deg. difference is actually quite enormous at about 3 or 4 meters with respect to a reference i.e. a wall or the ground in the park. The amount of light the sc52 reflects back should be enough to have you sprinting in the dead of night without crashing into a pole.

From here tack on smaller size, weight, less expensive light and less expensive batteries than the sc600s... Also, you have lows and medium levels which are enough to allow you to walk around indoors or read things close up.

I think you got your self a light. Do it. I'm excited for you. As for me i have a sc600; it's awesome.. enough to run around and stuff with it in the dark (this was during my testing lol)... it might have a bit more throw (i.e. 750 lms), but it's not worth it to wait to replace it with a sc52 ... probably gonna be my edc until next year... hopefully s6330 would be upgraded enough to REALLY get me hooked!!! GulP!!!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jbrett,

All I can say is that sc52's 500lm is going to be brighter than sc600's 500lm. This is due to sc52's wider hotspot angle of 12deg in comparison to sc600's 10deg. This 2deg. difference is actually quite enormous at about 3 or 4 meters with respect to a reference i.e. a wall or the ground in the park. The amount of light the sc52 reflects back should be enough to have you sprinting in the dead of night without crashing into a pole.

From here tack on smaller size, weight, less expensive light and less expensive batteries than the sc600s... Also, you have lows and medium levels which are enough to allow you to walk around indoors or read things close up.

I think you got your self a light. Do it. I'm excited for you. As for me i have a sc600; it's awesome.. enough to run around and stuff with it in the dark (this was during my testing lol)... it might have a bit more throw (i.e. 750 lms), but it's not worth it to wait to replace it with a sc52 ... probably gonna be my edc until next year... hopefully s6330 would be upgraded enough to REALLY get me hooked!!! GulP!!!

Keep in mind the SC52's 500 lumen only lasts a minute. If you want to stay at 500 lumens you'll have to turn it on and off to reset it after it steps down. in contrast, the SC600 can run at 500 lumen for an extended period of time (I think around 2 hours), and it also can run at 750 lumens for 5 minutes.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mention of "pocket" was more to do with a jacket or coat pocket, rather than my pants pocket. This light will serve more of a "search light" purpose rather than a general purpose EDC light.

One of the things I will use the light for is to light up the dark woods at night, in search for wildlife. A floody thrower would be preferred over an all throw light. This is just one more reason I like Zebralight, besides the switch function\location.

You mentioned a floody/thrower, more of a search light, AND a side-switch like the ZL's? If the size of this light gets your nod, then I recommend the Fenix TK75, plus adjustable runtimes due to extension tubes.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Idk man..you really won't be sorry if you chose the sc600..it'll be your edc and can take on any lighting task with 780 lumens (selfbuilts test).

Hence my struggle Southpaw.

I know what you say is true, and it could likely become my favorite light, but part of me wants that extra POWER, even beyond what my current JetBeam BC40 has. Don't get me wrong, the BC40 (as well as the SC600 I would think) has a wonderful amount of light, but I'm thinking if I can get even MORE throw with as much flood in a package the size of the S6330, then that would be great. But you are right, the SC600 is small enough to use for pant pocket carry if need be, which certainly is a big bonus.

I seem to be a sucker for a LOT of light. Some of the areas I will be using the light is in the Canadian wilderness and sometimes I need some extra throw as well (e.g. in a kayak at night needing to check out the landscape that may be a hundred yards off or more). Throw is not as important as being able to light up a large area in front of me to know what kind of wildlife is in the area, but there have been times where I need to shoot some light at quite a distance (more for the fun of it, I admit).

I suppose what might help my decision is to hear from anyone who owns both, the SC600 and the JetBeam BC40. If the SC600 comes close to the output of the BC40, then I might be satisfied with the SC600.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
In this case, you might have to wait a while before deciding bc the s6330 hasn't come out yet and we don't know how much throw it has til then ;) I know you're stuck with ZL but if you're looking for a lot of light with throw, at least YouTube Maelstrom s12 (under going prepared). That'll knock your socks off!