CR2 - It's the new black! Just add KL4

yclo

Flashaholic*
CR2 - It\'s the new black! Just add KL4

Seems like everyone is going CR2 these days, so I had to do one too. But with my limited tools, i.e. soldering iron + dremel, it's hard to whip up something from scratch. So I looked at (a part of) what I had...

faa367c9.jpg

Bigger picture

Second from the left is an Arc-optimized McLux battery pack that McGizmo was so kind to cut down and re-thread for me. Then I thought, let's do some lego-ing here. (The beauty of having the same threads)

faa367c7.jpg

Bigger picture

Well, the shorten McLux battery pack is really too short to even hold a CR2 in there. But I scaveged all the length there was and there seemed to be *just* enough room for it.

faa367c0.jpg

Bigger picture

I replaced the stock 5W led and circuit with a R2H and BB400.

faa367c3.jpg

Bigger picture

And an exploded view to show the relative lengths.

faa367be.jpg

Bigger picture

While it's not as elegant as all the other lights shown recently, it works... And the KL4 reflector is really something!

-YC

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: CR2 - It\'s the new black! Just add KL4

YC,

That's really cool! You've made a light small in size but *big* in beam and full featured. Nice job!

- Don

Darell

Flashaholic

That *is* slick, YC. Cute little bugger - bet it would look awesome if it were all plated the same color.

grift

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif simple and sweet. gonna post any beamshots w/the cr2 in there and maybe tell us runtimes?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

yclo, Very good going. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the comments, actually it's funny now that I think about it. If I'd had machining abilities, the light won't turn out as short as it is now since I would've just left the KL4 head as-is.

Beamshot-wise, it should look exactly like any other KL4 mod with a 1W. I'll see if I can find any other threads that have pics.

Runtime - Since the CR2 has about half the capacity of a 123, I'm guessing that it will run for about an hour? However I leave that open for the other people who have made and used CR2 1W mods.

-YC

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great job, Yclo ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Very clever and I think it looks "elegant". I love that industrial look and got a kick out of the term, "lego-ing".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
BC

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yclo,
How many of those CR2's will fit in a stock E series body after you chopped down the KL4. I'm wondering if this wouldn't make for a cool litter 5W direct drive flood light.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, it was worth asking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Man, that's a damned nice mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif I only wish that I had thought of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif