Help finding the source of a flashlight circa 2003

alternety

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I bought 2 flashlights around 2003. I believe I bought them from a person on this site that was a start up manufacturer or a new product after selling some other types. At the time they were expensive. They are a 3D maglite sort of thing. 3 LEDs. I believe they are 1W each. Direct drive. They do not even use a current limiting resistor. LEDs fit into a commercial preformed reflector/focus assembly. On/off near the top of the tube and nearly flush with the tube surface, covered with a rubber boot.

I seem to remember there was a bunch of hype at the time for being very bright and robust. I think I may have pre-ordered. I had immediate problems with one of the switches, but they still generally work.

My current problem is I need some parts and an explanation of how to remove the internal assembly that houses the switch so I can possibly replace it. Many of the electrical contact areas are of simple unprotected PCB copper. I am inside now trying to clean up the surfaces. I hate to simply scrap them. They really do provide a nice light and a bit of personal defense capabilities. I am going to look for some smaller bright lights with current technology to replace their location/function while moving them to another tier of emergency lighting.

If anyone can identify the manufacturer from the admittedly sparse information, I would appreciate it. I searched CPF but I have not found any real specifics. I found one post by me about the switch problem back in 2003. I found a lot of references to ARC lights around that time. It rings a bell; but I am not at all sure that was the brand. There are no markings on anything in or on the lights. I can try to take some pictures and post them in the next day or two. My camera has a bit of a problem close focusing to get sufficiently detailed pictures.

alternety

Newly Enlightened
I was having trouble with my PC. I found old private messages to me.

The Flashlight (which is 3D) is a Tri-Star. There was also apparently a Blaster (single LED). Made by Wayne. I have taken apart all the pieces except the insert that has the switch. I suspect it is held in by friction and the pop-up on/off switch. I will try that later. This is the first time I have really dissembled the lights. There were lots of Al particles inside the flashlight from thread machining. They were apparently never cleaned out/flushed after machining. I have tried to flush them out. I am trying to clean up the electrical contacts on the bottom of the assembly containing the switch. I am not having a lot of success trying to do it with a chopstick converted to a Q-tip. I would like to get at the contacts directly. Missing or broken O-rings. No O-rings around the cover over the LED assembly. A missing rubber cover on one of the switches (ripped because of constantly having the button hang up on the frame when turning on/off). Cracked LED covers. Washer/gasket worn out that holds a little brass puck with a rod on the end that connects between the top contact for the battery and the bottom PC board patch for the LED assembly.

A whole bunch of fooling around. But the lights work quite well overall (switch being the worst problem). I hate to just throw them away. If I can see how many parts (if any) I can get; I will adjust refurbishment accordingly.

nightshade

Enlightened
Wayne with Elektrolumens is who you are seeking :) Just google Elektrolumens and it will lead to his site. Wayne will take care of you.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I recently contacted Wayne for a replacement switch for my Blaster-1R, unfortunately I received no reply.

Just emailed him again.

Norm

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have several of Wayne's flashlights, one maybe his first try at LED. I have the Tri-Star with two drop-ins. One, years ago, I had him put together with a thicker heat sink, and the better Lux I S bin; I overvolted it and lost one of the LED's, or the resistor to it. I never had it fixed. The other has the original Lux III's. My favorite with the FTC, (I might have the name wrong) that my son lost. It used 3C cells.

Bill

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
How To Mod a Maglite P7 - 38 PICS
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?238641-How-To-Mod-a-Maglite-P7-38-PICS
Some of the pictures are missing but there is a description of how to remove the switch.

zbattery has the switch seal for $0.50. The switch itself is a Mag Warranty part not available for sale. You may have to buy a new Maglite 3D Barrel With Switch, Black $9. Then add shipping.

CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR MAG SERIAL# STARTS WITH A 'D'. The parts for Mags with and without D in the serial number are not interchangeable.

-----

Probably the best LED upgrade is the SSC-P4. It uses the same shape case as the Lux III.

Last edited: