led star size for p60 drop in

skyrider

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I'm looking to build my own p60 drop in. I'm wondering if people usually use 16mm or 14mm stars?

I'm thinking to get 16mm since it would get rid of heat faster. If it does not fit in a p60 pill, can I just sand the edges?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
14mm boards are small enough such that there is generally no issue with clearance for the feedthru holes for the driver wires to the LED. For centering, I'd probably use the reflector opening to self-center the LED in the pill. 16mm boards usually have a pair of half-moon cutouts at the board edge to clear the feedthru holes. If clearance is an issue, you can easily file the board.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
indeed but there are further issues than that
The good XMl reflectors liek Salrfroce and Ultarfire have a rim UNDER the LED opening.
So there must be clearence on the board and around the LED for it. using a 14mm PCB will put the 2 wires under that rim.
this will kill proper focusing especially if you use wires of proper thickness.

My experience with Cutter bords is that no one is of the right height too.
The 10mm square are thinner so there are - soemtimes isues with the LED sitting lower than the optimum focus point. the 10 and 20mm are thickes than they should, so one must file their bottom down.

So the plan, and my suggestion, is to stick with manufacturers standards. theChinese use 16mm boards, use them. (especially now that there are reliable suppliers that offer variosu bins).

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
All good points. But if the board is a bit too thick, then wouldn't you simply not screw the pill in quite as far? They all stop on the reflector, unless they run out of travel first, which seems doubtful. If there is a rim on the back side of the reflector at the opening, which can interfere with the LED hookup wires, a workaround might be to cut flat strips of copper wire. I've done this for a Gladius XM-L mod where the reflector sat very close to the solder pads on my 8mm board. But it's a hassle, so if a 16mm board works better, then that's the way to go. Interestingly, all of my old Cree XR-E drop-ins use 14mm boards. Never had a problem with LED hookup wire clearance past the reflector.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, the XREs are different beast...so easy to work with.
But it is more difficult with the XP-series, especially the XPG which seems to have the focusing point a bit further from the LED, ergo is more sensitive (my findings)

As the conversation progresses I wil expand into the various compatibility issues with the danger of scaring away prospective new assemblers.

A thicker LED base (PCB/Board) has practically no effect on the way the module works other than its total height which is finicky when installed in Surerfire 6P bodies. Does anyone remember the trouble with the gap on the bezel?
A have made one with a Cutter 20mm XRE board and a Dereelight XRE reflector. This thing has a monster of a gap, 3+ mm long.

Now the opposite situation is hopeless. The LED sitting lower. Then the brass pill may meet the reflector bottom before the LED is raised enough to focus.
It happened with 2 run-of-the-mill modules of mine I tried to mate to Derrelight reflectors. With the LED mounted on I had to file down 1+ mm of the pill outer rim (that surrounds the LED.)

I know all these are hard to visualize without pics...But sorry, i have no time to take and post....

Last edited: