For All You People Buying the Twinkies...

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Ever since Hostess announced they were going out of business a few days ago, people have been buying Hostess products (especially Twinkies) like crazy. Now some people are trying to sell them for a fortune on eBay. People are acting like these things are gold bricks or something.

Relax people. Twinkies aren't going away.

If there is still demand for a product made by a company going out of business, another company will purchase the rights to keep producing that product. In other words, if people still want Twinkies, they will still be able to get them. They might be gone temporarily but they will be back. They may not be called HOSTESS Twinkies anymore. They might be Microsoft Twinkies or Toyota Twinkies but they will still be Twinkies.

In the mean time, there are Twinkie recipes all over the internet. You can make your own. It really doesn't take that many ingredients. They aren't hard to make.

I don't personally like Twinkies but I'm just trying to help keep everyone's blood pressure down with this "public service announcement." :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
They may not be called HOSTESS Twinkies anymore. They might be Microsoft Twinkies or Toyota Twinkies but they will still be Twinkies.

My money is on Bimbo Twinkies.

If they were Microsoft Twinkies it would take years to learn how to really eat one, because they'd require constant complex upkeep. And if they were Toyota Twinkies they'd be beige and would taste beige..

lensman

Newly Enlightened
I still have one from 1992. Do you think now is the time to sell it on eBay? Are prices peaking?

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I'm perplexed by the people stockpiling the twinkies. Have they not ever looked at the ingredients ?

- http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/twinkie.htm

- http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38872091/ns/today-food/t/ingredients-twinkie-eaters-ingest/

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie#Ingredients

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow No. 5, red #40

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Instructables editor Scoochmaroo has her award-winning Homemade Twinkies recipe posted here; this recipe was the winner of a recent comparison test of homemade Twinkies. This is the same chef who perfected one of my personal faves, the Five-Minute Microwave Cake, long before I could get it right..

ieX0EcEsDTzdv.jpg

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an Australian who has been to the United States once in my life time (many more trips planned), I go nuts for Twinkies. That and the creme filled chocolate things Hostess also make.

Thanks for the recipe...I have my next weekend project. Yum yum yum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about you, but I don't think Bimbo Hohos will be very popular with women. Bimbo Ding Dongs have another conotation I'm not comfortable with.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odds are that they get renamed by Christmas. We'll probably end up with Santa's Hohos, Bell's Ding Dongs, and Star's Twinkies.

lensman

Newly Enlightened
Or someone will buy Hostess and use the name. It'll be like Westinghouse where the name has been purchased for brand recognition. So we'll get Twinkies and Ho Hos imported from Mexico.

Or it will be bought out by another nationwide bakery... "Hostess Twinkies, a Sara Lee company".

Empath

Flashaholic
Or someone will buy Hostess and use the name. It'll be like Westinghouse where the name has been purchased for brand recognition. So we'll get Twinkies and Ho Hos imported from Mexico.

Or it will be bought out by another nationwide bakery... "Hostess Twinkies, a Sara Lee company".

Grupo Bimbo of Mexico is the parent company of Bimbo Bakery USA, the largest baking company in the USA. In fact, Sara Lee is already a product of Bimbo.

Keep watching. The upcoming finagling may prove even more interesting (amazing) than what transpired between Sears and Kmart.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
what stinks is the 18000 lost jobs won't come back, and it is unlikely that the new
owner of the brand name will reopen any Hostess/Interstate factory...they'll roll production into existing
factories and distribution...

yes Twinkies will come back ...hostess branding makes too much money to ignore.

lensman

Newly Enlightened
what stinks is the 18000 lost jobs won't come back, and it is unlikely that the new
owner of the brand name will reopen any Hostess/Interstate factory...they'll roll production into existing
factories and distribution...
If it does roll into a domestic company there's always the hope that it will be additive into the jobs at those existing (industrial) bakeries. And the same for distribution and such, not all the jobs will come back but some will and they will operate more efficiently than the original and so hopefully will be able to pay their folks more than Hostess, trading off productivity/efficiency for higher pay.

And yes, I am an optimist. I also don't want to derail this thread about treats that I enjoyed in my youth. My grandma used to pack a Ding dong with my school lunch every day. :)

I actually prefer Zingers, now that is a delicious treat.
I went through a Zingers phase because of their sponsorship of the Charlie Brown specials!

Paladin

Enlightened
I don't know about you, but I don't think Bimbo Hohos will be very popular with women. Bimbo Ding Dongs have another conotation I'm not comfortable with.

Once while visiting my Mom the grocery checker was wearing a name tag that said "Naste Ho". I'm betting she was Vietnamese (and her supervisor had a weird sense of amusement).

Paladin