Anyone interested in thermal images of my flashlights?

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I own a thermal camera and was thinking if anyone would be interested in some thermal images of my flashlights. I have a Sunwayman M40C, a V10R TI and a Nitecore TM11.
Let me know any specific thermal information you'd like to know about them and i can take pictures and mark some temperature points.

Cheers!

LEDburn

Enlightened
As far as specific info - and this is just the obvious things, to me, you may think or know of other ways - I would say a base temp on surface of light, ambient temp of surroundings; then when running the lights: time intervals, temp at point of peak intensity and temp at head/tail.
It would also be good to see the lights cool down once they're switched off using the same time interval/temperature style as before.
As for the intervals, that depends on the level of output, you would be the best to judge as a light which heats up really fast probably needs the intervals to be shorter to show the quick ramping of the thermal energy.
As far as the cooling side of things, you probably only need to show the one set from being thermally saturated (as far as you allow anyway :naughty:) back to a base temp.

I don't know how much of that is even achievable, but heck, I am just throwing out what would be great to see.

Big thanks in advance for whatever you manage to pull off!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I own a thermal camera and was thinking if anyone would be interested in some thermal images of my flashlights. I have a Sunwayman M40C, a V10R TI and a Nitecore TM11.
Let me know any specific thermal information you'd like to know about them and i can take pictures and mark some temperature points.

Cheers!

I was just thinking about this the other day when I was using my Fenix E40 because the handle is plastic so I wanted to see how much heat was actually being transfered to the handle (I guess very little lol). Also if you ever get a Fenix E50 do that one too because I'm getting that light tomorrow :)

You should do one of the Fenix TK line because those are so popular. It would be interesting to see how far down the handle a lot of the heat goes.

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
I was just thinking about this the other day when I was using my Fenix E40 because the handle is plastic so I wanted to see how much heat was actually being transfered to the handle (I guess very little lol). Also if you ever get a Fenix E50 do that one too because I'm getting that light tomorrow :)

You should do one of the Fenix TK line because those are so popular. It would be interesting to see how far down the handle a lot of the heat goes.

It's too bad I don't own any Fenix lights, so unless someone sends me their light to be tested which I am now willing to do, I will just have to stick to my collection. I will try to have picture taken today if time permits.

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
Here are thermal images of my three flashlights. I've taken three picture of each in 5 minute intervals. The first picture is at 5 minutes, the second at 10 and the third at 15 minutes on highest output. The room temperature was between 22 and 23 degrees Celsius. Please note that the emissivity of the flashlights are unknown, so I used a table of such values to approximate the surface's emissivity. In other words, the actual temperature might vary by a few degrees and even more for the V10R Ti since it is made of titanium and I've heat anodized it. However, the relative temperature on the flashlight bodies are very accurate since their surfaces are made from the same material. If you'd like to know more about this quick experiment then please let me know and I will do my best to answer your questions.

Thanks!

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
:)

Are you, if you don't mind my asking, involved in the industry of testing equipment or something (I'm assuming that thermal camera is real expensive is why I ask)?

No worries! I am not involved in anything related to that really. I just have very expensive hobbies and this is just one of them :sssh: