Surefire F05 Red Diffuser. Any experiences?

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I just order one for my outdoorsman. Just wonder what the opinions are on this piece of kit? Does it stay on the bezel well?

samuraishot

Enlightened
I had one on my E1B that stayed put when it was on. That said, the E1B has a slight taper, which helped it stay on, but at the same time stretched it out a bit over time (but still never fell off). I'm sure you wouldn't have that problem with yours though.

It's pretty neat. It produced a very deep rich red beam. However I've read that it's much better when used with an incan bulb rather than an LED.

Oh and it doesn't diffuse the beam. I initially had that assumption, but found it only changes the color of the beam and doesn't affect the beam pattern.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Yes it does. I have the white and red diffusers. The tacky rubber body fits snugly with a friction grip to the bezel. I use them on my Novatac 120p and they work good. Under normal use there not likely to come off by them selves. I'm quite fond of the white diffuser, it will light up half of my front yard (ON HIGH) with soft evenly dispersed floody light. I don't use the red diffuser very often, it projects a tight hot spot with medium spill. I find the volume of red light inadequate for my intended uses.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Most white LEDs don't emit a lot in the red spectrum, so it drops the output quite a bit (certainly compared with a red LED) ....

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
I've got a red blue and clear ones. The clear is an actual diffuser but the red and blue just change the color but they don't diffuse. I put them on my e2dl. Lot of times ill put one on just to cover the sharp bezel when it's in my pocket.

Retinator

Enlightened
The red makes the lower mode very unusable (too dim) for my tastes. Which leads me to burning the cells quickly on higher modes, where I find the red too high anyways(sighs).

A red diffuser might be nice for some.

As for the thing staying on.......I've only had a problem when carrying it clipped inside front jeans pocket and from constantly bending , slowly pops it off. IT does have a very secure friction fit, but slide on, slide off.

They do add a great anti-roll, also fits Minimags & even the Mag XL series wooooo!

BIG45-70

Enlightened
As long is as the red is bright enough to see a map in the dark I'm good to go!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford it, you can also give the FM55 a try.

I have another model, FM34, which uses the same type of mechanism for securing itself to the head of the light. Apart from the size, it's pretty much the same.

I can only say that it's an over-engineered and over-built monstrosity. It will absoposilutely NOT separate unless you disengage the grip.

Apart from being built like a tank, another positive aspect will be that it's a flip-on filter, so you can just flip off the cover to get natural light, instead of putting the entire unit on and off.