The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca

Unenlightened

Default Re: Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca

an RSS feed for the reviews would be great

thank you for your work, i'm byuing flashlights almost exclusively based on your excellent reviews!

Default Re: Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca

Quote Originally Posted by tonky View Post
    an RSS feed for the reviews would be great
    Thanks, that's a good idea, I'll look into it.

As an interim solution, I notice a lot of people have subscribed to my video channel at YouTube. That way people get an e-mail notficiation when a video goes public (which happens simulatenously to the review being posted here, each cross-linked).

Oh, and
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

By the way, you should really make backups from all your reviews. Forum crashes HAVE happened, and it would be a shame for stuff to get lost.

In an other forum I frequent they lost 8 months of post at one time, and it is a real gap in history there, as every review/discussion of stuff from most of 2006 simply is gone forever...

How do we know what's in the working, what's the next upcoming review?
    You wouldnt tell, would ya?
    We luv to be teased
    Last edited by shelm; 01-19-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Go ahead SB - tease us a little since we all love lights so much!

Quote Originally Posted by IMSabbel View Post
    By the way, you should really make backups from all your reviews. Forum crashes HAVE happened, and it would be a shame for stuff to get lost.
    In an other forum I frequent they lost 8 months of post at one time, and it is a real gap in history there, as every review/discussion of stuff from most of 2006 simply is gone forever...
    Not to worry, I do keep multiple backups of all my reviews. I just haven't posted them anywhere else.

Server outages have happened here too, with several months lost once. If we suffer another forum outage, I can easily repost any missing reviews once the system comes back up (and hopefully restore as much as possible of the discussion threads from search engine caches, as we did last time).

It terms of an off-line backup for when CPF is down, that's a bit more work (e.g., on my own site). I kept it up for ahwile, but haven't bothered lately. The problem is that I have to convert all my BBCode reviews to HTML, review and fix all formatting glitches, insert them into a template for my site, update all internal and external links (including links to full review threads), then incorporate the backups into my site. It's a bit of work, when I prefer people follow the reviews here - since they can easily post in the thread, which greatly expands the value of the reviews.

If I get some downtime, I'll see about posting backups on my review site ... I need to work on the templates first, and automate as much of the process as I can (including revising the old backups).

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    How do we know what's in the working, what's the next upcoming review?
    You wouldnt tell, would ya?
    We luv to be teased
    Sorry, don't plan to do that in any formal way. I tend to get a lot of e-mails and PMs when people know I am working on a review, asking how well a light throws, or what output is on some specific battery or level, etc., etc. The time spend dealing with all those one-off requests tends to distract from actually completing the reviews. Also, issues can crop up during testing, inducing delays while discussing with the manufacturer, or waiting for revised samples to get shipped, etc. Again, I don't want to have to try and explain the status of everything all the time, especially when I am still in the middle of sorting it all out.

Thanks for the support everyone!
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale

tks for the review +10

Hi all,

Just updated my Flashlight Recommendation page with some new examples from among my recent reviews. I've also added a new section on multiple AA lights (i.e., 3x, 4x, 6x, and 8x).

Enjoy!

Very handy reference - I'm surprised that this thread isn't stickied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubois View Post
    Very handy reference - I'm surprised that this thread isn't stickied.
    That's a good idea. Thanks to the mods for "stickifying" it for me.

Hopefully this thread will continue to serve as a way for people to suggest additional features and functionality for the flashlightreviews.ca site. I'll also keep you updated of any significant new additions.

When I want to know how a flashlight really works, its pros, cons, durability, "accurate info about" etc. This is the person reviews is where I turn to. When I cannot find the light I want to know the "how it really works", accurate info. about, on selfbuilt's page I am disappointed. Thank you very much for your hard work in providing reviews which are reliable and accurate. When looking for a light I may be just interested in, or looking to buy this is the first place I turn to.

I hope this is the right place to put this...I'm new here...Your reviews are just what I need, but I have a problem:

I am colour blind, and the graphs of output/time, for various battery types and flashlights (that I would find really helpful), are completely impossible for me to read.

The damned image verification before posting gets me every time too.

Would it be possible to put a little information along the graph traces, so that persons such as myself could make use of that information?
    Just a numbering system would do the trick.

And thanks a lot for all your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by fridgemagnet View Post
    Would it be possible to put a little information along the graph traces, so that persons such as myself could make use of that information?
    Just a numbering system would do the trick.
    I can appreciate how that would be a problem for you. The graphs are busy, which is why I put the legend with the time to 50% - as a secondary guide to help people line up the individual graphs. Imperfect, I know. I will give it some thought to see if I can come up with anything better

I do refer to the "time to 50%" box - it's ok for finding the trace for each light individually, but for comparisons - you would need a far better memory than mine..I get lost.
    If I may offer a suggestion - for new reviews only - simply ordering the "time to 50%" box in the order that the graph traces hit 50% on light output - that would be a great help.
    Last edited by fridgemagnet; 01-09-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Unenlightened

Thank You for the great reviews.

I have enjoyed your reviews for a while and finally decided to register to the forum. Looking forward to more great reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by pineconecounter View Post
    Thank You for the great reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by TEM53 View Post
    I have enjoyed your reviews for a while and finally decided to register to the forum. Looking forward to more great reviews.
    Thanks, and

Selfbuilt, ditto here; I have also read many of your reviews recently and decided to join the forum as a result of the vast amount of information you and other members contribute here.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedSlow View Post
    Selfbuilt, ditto here; I have also read many of your reviews recently and decided to join the forum as a result of the vast amount of information you and other members contribute here.
    Thanks, hope you enjoy interacting with the community here.

On another topic, I've notice some users have subscribed to my YouTube videos as a way of getting immediate e-mails notices of when a new review goes up.

I don't have a notification system through the website, so that is the easiest way to stay up to date - the videos go public at the same time as the review is posted here. Here's the link to my YouTube Channel home page: http://www.youtube.com/user/cpfselfbuilt

hallo sb how are you????? i have see most of your reviews!!!!! exelent!!! now i am waiting to see s200c2vn review i am also waiting for outside beamshots with tk61vn pdt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, both will be coming soon.

Since you're reviewing modded flashlights now would you add a modded light section to your web page? I don't see ant modded lights on your web page and when I search on your posts by date it gives me a list in order of the date of the last comment posted. This means that reviews from 2012 are near the top because of a comment on the thread a week ago. The first 2 pages of the search have no modded lights.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RCantor View Post
    Since you're reviewing modded flashlights now would you add a modded light section to your web page? I don't see ant modded lights on your web page and when I search on your posts by date it gives me a list in order of the date of the last comment posted. This means that reviews from 2012 are near the top because of a comment on the thread a week ago. The first 2 pages of the search have no modded lights.
    Yes, I'm thinking it's time to re-organize the "chronological list" page to make things clearer. I can add a header list at the top (for categories) and add modded lights as a separate category. I'll try to do that for the next modded review.

EDIT: Just uploaded a revised page for my CPF reviews. Check it out!
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 07-03-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Please review the Fenix UC40 UE and the Nitecore P20 & P16. I'm following every review that you're doing and basing my next purchase on it, thanks.

Default Re: Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flaslightreviews.ca

HAHAHAH, full time Mrs Subwoofer

I just found a review on youtube of yours. And then you said cpf, and I was like oh wow I just joined there. Then I found your entire video section, how am I supposed to be productive on the weekends now? I think I just blew about an hour and didn't even realize it haha. Great reviews, thanks for taking the time to do these.

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    I just found a review on youtube of yours. And then you said cpf, and I was like oh wow I just joined there. Then I found your entire video section, how am I supposed to be productive on the weekends now? I think I just blew about an hour and didn't even realize it haha. Great reviews, thanks for taking the time to do these.

4 posts are a good start for your first day.

Hello sir,
    Have you ever done a review of a Sup/Acebeam K40 or K40vn?
    I am gussing probably not as I just went through your list and did not see one.
    But I thought I would ask incase I missed it.
    Thank you for all of your hard work!
    Ty
    PD35VN XML2-PDT, TK75VN-KT, SF P60VN2T XML2, SF P60VNT XPG2 FIAT LUX, S200C2VN, K40VN FIAT LUX, M2500vn, COPPER XPG2 TRIPLE, M25C2VN KT, CQVN XPL 4000K, MM15VN FL

Thank you SelfBuilt for all you do for the hobbyist > enthusiast > "flashaholic" community! Just sent a modest donation to your battery fund.
    Please continue your Great Work!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast