Questions on new EagleTac D25LC2 clicky.

Verndog

Enlightened
Just received my new and first 18650 cell light today. Very nice light, and perfect range of brightness levels and flood I was looking for. But I have 2 things I haven't been able to figure out. It says it has memory mode (except D25A which mine is not), and no matter how I attempt to set it it will not stick. Exact directions are:
To toggle this setting, with head tighten, turn on the light, and repeat loose and tight for 3 times.

So my question is then what? Do I turn off then unscrew back to group 1 and turn on find the brightness and turn off. Or since the sequence leaves you in group 2 do I unscrew after 3 times back to group 1 and set? Tried both ways several times and it's not working.

Also, the lanyard ring is suppose to be removable, but no instructions on how. Pry apart at split and pull 1 side at a time from groove? Looks like plastic and could break if done wrong.??

Any help would be appreciated.

fliptwister

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt confirmed in his review that memory mode did not work for the D25LC2: "Most of the lights have optional mode memory, which saves the last setting used of the head loosen state if you want. To toggle mode memory on or off, do three loosen-tighten head twists (starting from tight), while on. According to Eagletac, mode memory is not available on the D25A clicky model, but I don't have one to test. I can confirm that it wasn't available on my D25LC2 either. :shrug: Both my D25C samples and my D25A2 had toggle-able memory modes, as expected."

His review is here:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d-up-Review-(D25C-D25A2-D25LC2-XM-L-amp-XP-G)

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
I have the D25LC2 clicky and it does not have memory mode. I also have the D25C that does have memory mode. As far as I know the only ones with memeory mode is D25C D25A clicky. The info on some of the website kinda overlap and a little cunfusing. As far as the lanyard ring use s small screwdriver to pry the split apart not the opening where the lanyard attaches. The D25LC2 is my favorite EDC.

Verndog

Enlightened
I have the D25LC2 clicky and it does not have memory mode. I also have the D25C that does have memory mode. As far as I know the only ones with memeory mode is D25C D25A clicky. The info on some of the website kinda overlap and a little cunfusing. As far as the lanyard ring use s small screwdriver to pry the split apart not the opening where the lanyard attaches. The D25LC2 is my favorite EDC.

Thank you guys for the quick reply. In the instruction manual it says "This feature does not apply to the D25A clicky"...leading me to believe it should work. Oh well, easy enough to switch. One reason it may not work is it counts 2 cycles thru then goes into extended (hidden) modes...and memory starting on a different mode may throw that cycle off.

So does the "moonlight output" programmable "dim / increase the entire output of group 1" work? I can't see any difference there either.

Thank you for the lanyard tip...needed a smaller screwdriver and poped right apart. It actually latches together there, not just a friction, tension type fit. I have no use for the lanyard on a small light.

Holster is larger then I hoped, and rides high...I'll need to figure out a better way to carry, or I may continue to just carry the Fenix E11??

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
So does the "moonlight output" programmable "dim / increase the entire output of group 1" work? I can't see any difference there either.

I only have the single cell version, but from Selfbuilt's review, posted above, you should only be able to detect the difference on low - one group should be 9 lms and other should be 0.2 moonlight. The highs of both groups are usually the same, and in your model, the mediums seem to be 65 vs 90 lumens which is not going to be detectable by the human eye.

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
"This feature does not apply to the D25A clicky"

I recently purchased a D25A and can confirm that the memory mode does not work on that model. I also own the D25C2 and it does not work on that model either. I have tried it a hundred times on the D25C2 and it won't work. Oh well.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the single cell version, but from Selfbuilt's review, posted above, you should only be able to detect the difference on low - one group should be 9 lms and other should be 0.2 moonlight. The highs of both groups are usually the same, and in your model, the mediums seem to be 65 vs 90 lumens which is not going to be detectable by the human eye.

I have contacted Eagletac Co. and they confirmed that it is a typo in the printed manual.
Correct info be:
the D25A Clicky and the D25LC2 Clicky do *not* have memory mode.
the D25C Clicky, the D25C2 Clicky, and the D25A2 Clicky do have memory mode.

And it also has been confirmed and reconfirmed that on the D25LC2 Clicky the moonlight mode isnt anywhere close to a real moonlight mode. It is very difficult to realize whether one is in Low1 or in Low2.

On the D25A Clicky is very clear too see the difference between Low1 and Low2: one is a real moonlight mode!

In summary, the D25LC2 Clicky has no real moonlight mode and the D25A Clicky doesnt have fully regulated output on 14500. Well well. Nobody is perfect i guess. At least the D25A is officially allowed to run on 14500. Has perfect thermally conductive path, solid copper heat sinking, and somewhere between 600-770 OTF lumens output on 4.20V 14500 cell. :drool:

Last edited:

Verndog

Enlightened
I recently purchased a D25A and can confirm that the memory mode does not work on that model. I also own the D25C2 and it does not work on that model either. I have tried it a hundred times on the D25C2 and it won't work. Oh well.

Is the D25C2 a rear clicky model? I'm guessing this may be mostly for non clicky models that are not as quick and easy to switch modes??

Also I forgot to mention I was a little disappointed in no "tactical" momentary switch...on a rear clicky??....what's up with that?? Didn't see that mentioned in the few reviews I read.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
And it also has been confirmed and reconfirmed that on the D25LC2 Clicky the moonlight mode isnt anywhere close to a real moonlight mode. It is very difficult to realize whether one is in Low1 or in Low2.

On the D25A Clicky is very clear too see the difference between Low1 and Low2: one is a real moonlight mode!

Doh! I thought this thread was about the D25A2 clicky... my bad for mis-reading the title.

Verndog

Enlightened
Well, we had out first power outage this morning and got a chance to use the new EagleTac as a necessity. Although I really like the light itself, and the brightness ranges, I'm less then satisfied with the UI. It's a poor design IMO, here is why. Walking throughtout the house changing the light from high to tailstand in the room, then back to med to move to another area...took all of twice before I hit strobe mode. Then I have to fish through like 5 more modes to get to where I want, or use other hand that isn't free to switch to group 2 then back to 1. This is a **** poor design IMO, why not a 2-3 sec hold to get there?? and you'll never get there by accident, and you can also change to those modes much quicker if you want. Does anybody else wonder why nobody else builds a light that you get 2x thru the normal modes then are stuck in hidden modes? Not me...it's obvious why not! They're not hidden at all, they're waiting to be accessed, and you will get there.

That and the lack of momentary on make this a one time deal for me and EagleTac....too bad, otherwise great light.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
You're making me even happier that I got the D25C Clicky.
I love the moonlight, though I do find probably 70% of the time I double-tap to medium at startup.
If it's any consolation, I tried memory mode for about a week and hated it. To get back to moonlight and a trip to Med or Hi I had to cycle all the way through, and every other time I had to go through ALL those flashy modes to get there.
Do NOT want.

Verndog

Enlightened
I'm sure I'll calm down and come around again. I just hate things that aren't well designed...I'm a manufacturing engineer so that's partially why. A hold to access is better is so many ways I don't understand their thinking here...Oh well.

One work around (if you have a free hand), is just access high through head turn, then back. You'll never hit the "not very hidden" modes that way, and yes...I hate strobe access by mistake. A few of my Fenix lights switch modes on the head, I'll just need to get into that habit as a work around with this light...I feel better, thanks for letting me vent. :cool:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can also half-press the button for 1 2 seconds.
it will reset the sequence of modes.
you're back to low. 2 full cycles away from the blinkies.

Verndog

Enlightened
WOW...Check This Out!!!

I was just playing around with the D25LC2 and found there is a hold function that is not even listed in the manual, nor have I seen it in any reviews!

If you hold the tailswitch 1/2 way it takes you back to low and you start over again. So, once you work your way to high, just a slight hold will keep you from ever going into "hidden strobe modes". No matter where you are, 2 second hold takes you back tolow even if you accidentally make it to strobe mode you can get out and avoid the other 6 lame modes.

Back to cool with this light again...at this point the only thing I'm disappointed in is the incomplete, and also incorrect manual, but that is way easier to get over. :thumbsup:

Verndog

Enlightened

Funny stuff. I just discovered that and was posting it then saw your post. Thank you also!

Tiresius

Enlightened
There isn't a static memory mode in this guy. It'll only remember the different mode sets (1) or (2). The light is amazing for its size and I plan on making a 18350 body for a keychain light.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup, long press > back to square one... as shelm has correctly mentioned in another thread, a long press is equivalent to turning the light off for a second. The ET's short reset time is one of my favorite "features" and fixes the one thing that drive me nuts on Quarks.