Help me pick a new flashlight.

marklar

Newly Enlightened
I am in the market for a new flashlight my current one is the original Surefire G2 it
works ok but I am looking for a better one. What I'm looking for needs an output
around 500 lumens, has an adjustable beam so I can make it a spot or flood and
has a few different brightness settings so I don't always have to use full brightness.
Also it should be able to use 2 or 3 cr123 batteries.

So please post links or suggestions if you know of a light that fits this description.

Thanks

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well... I'm not that into surefire simply because they are so expensive, but if you want to use cr123 batteries and would like to get another quality surefire go with the Surefire P2X Fury. 500lm/15lm. They list the 15 lumen setting as running for 46 hours. It's not adjustable focus, but honestly that's not a big deal to me... Unless you REALLY want that I wouldn't worry about that feature too much.

If I were you I'd go for a new fenix light (just my personal preference) The latest TK series is the TK22 which goes from 7 to 650 lumens with a very nice beam from what I hear. That is probably a little bigger and heavier than a G2.

If you want something that isn't metal in the hand get a Jetbeam PA40 neutral white. It uses 4aa batteries and is quite tough with the carbon fiber "impregnated" body. You can get that in op reflector or not I think. That has some serious output, modes, and can light up a big space.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and obviously the Surefire G2X pro is pretty much the successor to the original G2.

I'm so pizzed--- I would get one and I keep reading threads about how they were 50 dollars USD, but now you can't seem to get one without dropping at least 75 dollars. So much for Surefire trying to have a somewhat lower priced light for a bit. :thumbsdow

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend a 3-18v 3 mode XM-L drop-in for the G2. You'll need to look at an XM-L for the lumens you want. No lights that I know of has an adjustable beam unless you do a led conversion on a Mag Lite and then you won't get anywhere near 500lm. The beam pattern for the XM-L is a good compromise between spot and flood, IMO. I also prefer the smooth reflector over the orange peel reflectors since the XM-L has enough light spread.

Martinaee - Surefire is having a 25% sale and free shipping on their site on Cyber Monday (11/26/2012).