Acebeam        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Malkoff Setup for Emergency Bag???

Default Re: Best Malkoff Setup for Emergency Bag???

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Honestly I use protected cells so running my light with 2X18650 till it shuts off should be fine. Correct?
    Probably OK-ish ... IF you trust the protection circuits, and if the cells don't get too unbalanced, and if you recharge promptly, and if that recharging is done carefully, and ....

Arch. If you only bring your cells down to 3.5 you wouldnít be able to get an accurate runtime would you? Just a question on getting a real runtime result. Iím Not question your comment.
    Yes, I am talking about general usage. I don't really do runtime tests myself, as such. Depends on the specifics of the cell, but at 3.5V some cells will have some (mostly single digit percentage) amount of capacity remaining.

The upside of not draining these dry, is less chance of upon recharge.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thanks for you input arch. I understand what your saying.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Thanks for you input arch. I understand what your saying.
    Most of us on CPF are pretty experienced and knowledgeable about battery safety (at least to some degree, compared to the general public) , but I know that there are some who may casually browse here and might take away the wrong impression about how to handle batteries properly.

We still see new members regularly confused about differences in voltage between CR123A and IMR16340, for example, or nominal and max voltage ...

Yes. Wrong cells in the wrong place could be bad. As well as expensive!
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I wanna chime in real quick on voltage protracted cells. The voltage cutoff is usually set at 2.5 volts in my experience, which is crazy low in my opinion. Itís basically a last ditch effort to stop you from doing serious harm to the cells. Iím a little puzzled why I donít see cells that have ICs that cut off at 3.0 or 3.2 volts for the sake of cell longevity.

For the emergency bag topic, one thing I do on all my rechargeable cells is charge them up to 4.1 instead of 4.2 volts. You sacrifice some capacity, but it helps to negate voltage stress if the cells arenít used immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    We still see new members regularly confused about differences in voltage between CR123A and IMR16340, for example, or nominal and max voltage ...
    Heck, I'm an old member and still confused!

Depending on where the emergency bag is going to be stored, and who you expect to be using it, it might make sense to keep things simple for any family members, friends, etc. Maybe a printed cheat sheet or labels on the batteries and lights to make sure nothing goes . Lots of folks would assume that if a battery fits, it's meant to go in a device, regardless of whether it's alkaline, Eneloop, lithium primary, lithium rechargable, etc.

Hell I just wanted to see how long she would go on a couple 18650ís. I have zero use for rechargeable cells in my bob/ghb. They are loaded with primary 123ís an lithiumís AA. Correction, I do have Eneloop as well. Just need to get a solar charger. But them are about as safe as you can get.

My technophobe spouse would never read a cheat sheet. She wants something to switch on and switch off, period. Actually, switching off is asking too much, make that it just switches on. In an emergency, if I started to explain about cells, recharging, modes and the rest I'd end up with a black eye.
    In my house we keep it simple, sadly.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Probably OK-ish ... IF you trust the protection circuits, and if the cells don't get too unbalanced, and if you recharge promptly, and if that recharging is done carefully, and ....

Yes, I am talking about general usage. I don't really do runtime tests myself, as such. Depends on the specifics of the cell, but at 3.5V some cells will have some (mostly single digit percentage) amount of capacity remaining.

The upside of not draining these dry, is less chance of upon recharge.
    I have an Xtar charger and I usually charge mine at 25ma.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

Blimey, that's cautious of you. It must take about 5 days to charge a 2500mah cell.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    My technophobe spouse would never read a cheat sheet. She wants something to switch on and switch off, period. Actually, switching off is asking too much, make that it just switches on. In an emergency, if I started to explain about cells, recharging, modes and the rest I'd end up with a black eye.
    In my house we keep it simple, sadly.
    P
    In a TRUE emergency situation, simple is exactly what you want!

Any bag/kit (Bob/GHB/Whatever) that is made to carry with you (for emergencies), is better served (IMHO) by primaries (CR123's or Lithium AA's/AAA's), then anything rechargeable.

Also, as to flashlights (for emergencies), Keeping It Simple Stupid (KISS) is exactly what most are best served by, which is why I have so many Malkoff's!

During an emergency situation, the last thing I need to be worried about is recharging batteries, or reading a "cheat sheet" for flashlights or batteries, at least not for me.
    In a SHTF scenario, the best of plans will go to sh*t, so Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) is the best plan

Quote Originally Posted by RWT1405 View Post
    In a TRUE emergency situation, simple is exactly what you want! ....
    All of my primary emergency flashlights are single-cell setups only, for that reason.

Flashaholic*

I follow that policy (single-cell setups only) for almost all my lights, emergency or not.

--flatline

Iíve actually started to really like the 3 cells. More output more runtimes and with just about any Malkoff drop in you have the ability to run AA and still get plenty of light and runtime to get you out of a pinch.

Flashaholic

The single cell point is interesting, that's a pretty good point.

My ĒemergencyĒ lights are a M31LLL equipped Surefire 6P with a AA to 16650 adapter for eneloops and a cr123 dummy for single primary use. by far my favorite dropin in.

In the car I have a AA MDC on a orange body and lithium energizers.

Maybe I need to step up my game a bit.

The single cell approach lets you run through an entire box of mixed cells with no care as to brand, age, or level of charge.

Yes, maximizes redundancy and minimizes points of failure.

Yes, maximizes redundancy and minimizes points of failure.
    I'm very close to adopting a top to bottom single cell only philosophy. Actually, I've been working toward it for some time. I'm not a brilliant man. Simple is better.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I have a dedicated group of lights for travel/emergencies/must function lights. The rest are hobby lights.

Flashaholic*

The single-cell policy is not without drawbacks. For instance, a 2AA setup will get way more than double the runtime than using 1AA at the same output.

--flatline

Yes, there are tradeoffs involved in most every system

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234