SupBeam K40 Review

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
for submission in the Reviews forum

The new K40 by SupBeam as in Super Beam not Whatsup beam or Supper Beam. It has gotten alot of attention because of it's similarities to the Thrunite TM31.
The retail is around 100 shipped so it's one of those bang for the bucks which means I gotta have one.

So ordered through their website and received in perfect condition the light and it's accessories in a metal box.

What you get?
  • K40
  • Holster
  • Lanyard and split ring
  • Spare O-rings and boot cap
  • The metal case

The flashlight specs
http://www.supbeam.com/p/55/supbeam-searching-flashlight-k40#.UKtBZqXZXww
I won't waste space since it's easy to find.
The summary is that it's an XML in a big smooth reflector that is pushed hard. Think 3.5a to the led. This is a thrower. Takes 3 18650 batteries.

Practical Applications
  • Search and Rescue
  • Boating
  • Farm/Rural
  • Military
  • Hunting
  • Or ceiling bounce a thrower for room lighting

Initial Impressions
It's heavy and the weight is in the head. There must be some serious heatsink to run the led so high. The quality is superb for the price. Actually superb for double the price. Anodising is good. All parts are of high quality including the battery carrier.
I remember some people mentioning the ring selector to select the modes. There is slight grinding sensation. Sort of an anodised part to another. I don't want to use the word grinding because it really isn't but it's not smooth like a camera lens focus ring. I actually LIKE it but maybe you won't so something to consider.

Beam
There is some flower petaling around the hotspot but this is too be expected with a smooth reflector. It's made to throw. In real use you will never see it. The beam is tight and worthless for anything within 10ft. You would have extreme tunnel vision. But it's not horrible because there is alot of spill in this light. So I would say it's a medium to far thrower. I would rather bounce the ceiling if I was indoors in a tight area.

Output
Well spaced out. From moonlight to superbright. They spacing out the lumens very well to the eye. Even moonlight is thrown pretty good. You can get away with Level 2 if you were using this light with other people using consumer lights. Any higher and you would just be showing off to them. Level 6 is at 3.5a but that reduces several minutes in to protect the light. I'm assuming this is by temperature rather than timer because it's mentioned in the manual.

Modes
6 Output Levels, a standby, and a strobe. The standby is actually great. It would prevent accidental strobe activation by having a gap. It also allows for one hand use by just rotating the ring. If you are really OCD you can leave in standby when you pack your light to ensure it will remain off. There is a detent on each level. To nitpick, the mode doesn't always change on the detent stop. Some half way in the travel but it's not noticeable in use. Hey, I'm trying to find some faults in this light.

Battery Carrier
It's well made. Not like the plastic junk you get with a Dry 3 XML. It has a unique reverse polarity protection. Basically you can insert the carrier from either end because there are 2 springs in the tailcap to make the positive and negative connection. The springs have plenty of travel to fit most lengths of 18650's I bet.

Forward Clicky
Forward clicky is always best so you can have that momentary control if you desire. The only problem would be that the button is recessed so that the flashlight can tailstand. This make it uncomfortable to press it with your thumb. At least for me. I prefer to use my index finger. Of course! I would prefer recessed so that I can tailstand. This really makes a thrower have some practical daily use as you can light up an indoor room easy by ceiling bouncing.

Holster
High quality and holds the light well. I can't imagine anyone every putting this on their belt though. It's too big and ridiculous looking. But I think it would be nice for mounting on your hiking bag shoulder strap etc.

Lanyard
What were they thinking? It's too long. It's essentially a neck strap but you can't hang this off your neck. You can use it as a hand strap but there is unnecessary excess of lanyard. But it's included. But I like to complain. But it's free. argh

O-rings and button cap
I have never ever ever used them on any light. Nice to have though.

Tailcap
I know you can remove it to service the button if need be. That is nice. But generally you are separating from the middle to install the battery carrier.

Lux/throw
You can get access to the led to dedome it for extra lux but honestly you don't need extra lux in this light. I cannot see any farther with my 20/20 naked eye to need something that throws farther. 300m is easy for a light like this. They claim 700m. Maybe, maybe in a rural area with no light pollution. I would not discount that claim.

IPX-8
No problem submersing this light in water. I doubt you can dive with this light but I would be confident that it will survive most wet environments like rain.

Overall
This light is the current bang for the buck light. A thrower of this caliber isn't exactly practical but being a flashaholic you probably want one in your stable. This is a good relatively cheap in price and not in quality light that can satisfy anyone's throw needs. Maybe we are really getting ripped off by other manufacturers. Or maybe this is SupBeam's "loss leader" to make a name for themselves.
I call it my 'jack@ss" light. Because my wife says I'm a jack@ss when I use it, like shining at people down the block, in people's apartments etc. I can't help myself. Absolute power corrupts..

Wife's Corner
She thinks it's "too heavy." Hates the grindy rotating ring. Her purses are too heavy and quite ugly. :naughty:

Video Review

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work. I like the "Wife's corner" bit. I'm not brave enough to blatantly show my wife each and every light I get... She'd soon do the maths!

Dubois

Enlightened
Yes, nice summary of the K40. I agree, it is great value for money. The case is a bit of overkill imho. I'll keep it in a drawer in it's holster, so the nice ally case (actually probably thin sheet of aluminium over thin wood) presents a problem - should I use it to store other lights? Or just put that in storage too?

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
The K40 in my opinion is the best bang for your buck flashlight going right now for brightness, throw, and overall quality.