Beam Tint: SF Minimus vs Vision

qpewnwgp

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had a chance to compare the SureFire headlamps Minimus vs Minimus-Vision?

I'm interested in some of the observations between the different beam tints. When deciding between the two tints, how should one decide which beam tint is best for your needs? Are there pros and negatives to each that people are familiar with?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Minimus. Overall I like the light but the tint is OK at best. A few months back I was able to check out a Vision. While it's hard to get a good sense of the beam/tint/output just fiddling with it for a minute in a store I did prefer the tint of the Vision over my Minimus. I'm not sure if other Minimus owners feel the same way but I feel the tint is slightly blueish. If i was making the purchase again I would go with the Vision.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Minimus Vision

a while ago i got a chance to play with a Minimus.

To my eyes the Vision looked like the light from an incandescent lamp (maybe a bit cooler) but a nice warm tint that rendered colours very nicely (not as good as an Incandescent bulb, but very close.

whereas the Minimus appeared very blue (under the ambient lighting conditions, and compared to the Vision) and reminded me a lot of my SF T1A, which while being a great light, is not my first choice when i want accurate colour rendition
I did not compare it to my V10R which has a typical cool white tint (i wish i had now)

All in All, i am very happy with my Minimus Vision, if i lost it, i would be purchasing another as soon as possible (that is me wearing it in my Avatar pic too)

qpewnwgp

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't the yellowish incandescent tinted light distort accurate color rendition more than the white 6300K light? It seems like the white light from the Minimus would be better for this because it is more neutral white and not tinted yellow. I've always found incandescent light to not be the most neutral. But perhaps I'm wrong, that's why I'm posting to make sure I have correct info.

EV_007

Enlightened
Vision appears to render colors in the warm tones better.

Now if they put a High CRI 90 in the next one powered by 1 AA in a slightly smaller package. That would be the perfect headlamp. Come on PK. :)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the yellowish incandescent tinted light distort accurate color rendition more than the white 6300K light? It seems like the white light from the Minimus would be better for this because it is more neutral white and not tinted yellow. I've always found incandescent light to not be the most neutral. But perhaps I'm wrong, that's why I'm posting to make sure I have correct info.
I prefer the warmer tinted light, I find a normal Cool White LED tends to make the world look a bit flat and one dimensional, and washes out the colours like in Bolster's picture above.
all my new lights are Neutral/warm tint LEDs

And when I refer to Incandescent light, I am referring to a good properly driven (or slightly overdriven) bulb, not the typical Incan colour you get from half dead batteries.
the SF A2 is a great example of what Incan light should look like

I will try and take some example pics in the next few days

qpewnwgp

Newly Enlightened
the SF A2 is a great example of what Incan light should look like

I will try and take some example pics in the next few days

The current A2 offering from Surefire is LED. You are referring to the older A2 that was available in Incan, correct? Do you know if the LED A2 high output setting that is currently available from Surefire has the Cool/White or the Neutral/Warm tint?

Looking forward to your example pics. Thx :)

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current A2 offering from Surefire is LED. You are referring to the older A2 that was available in Incan, correct? Do you know if the LED A2 high output setting that is currently available from Surefire has the Cool/White or the Neutral/Warm tint?

Looking forward to your example pics. Thx :)
I was referring to the older Incandescent A2 yes.

I think the current A2L has a cool white tint