Dorcy gives out free flashlights during Hurricane Sandy!!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone it's KartRacer31 here, I've been a CPF member for more than 10 years now, and today I just wanted to let you know about the very cool thing that Dorcy flashlights did for so many of us who were impacted by Hurricane Sandy. I've become friends with a guy who works at Dorcy. When he heard about our area being hit by Hurricane Sandy, and being without power, he reached out to me and offered to send a bunch of flashlights, lanterns, headlamps, and batteries to me so that I could pass them out to those in need. He sent three 50lb boxes to me overnight-shipping, completely free of charge.

With a few hundred flashlights in hand my wife and I set out on foot around our neighborhood in the dark, givinging away the flashlights to our family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and strangers without power. We even had enough flashlights to give several to a few groups taking donations for those in need, as well as the group of volunteers I work with on the Auxiliary Police Department, and my wife distributed some to the people who volunteered along side of her at a "soup kitchen" to help those in need.

Along with each flashlight we handed out an abbreviated version of the Dorcy products catalogue. It was just a small paper flyer with some of their product and contact information on it, but we hope that the next time people are looking to make a flashlight or battery purchase they remember the generosity and support from Dorcy during Hurricane Sandy, which created power outages lasting 10 days or longer for so many of us in our area. And I'm glad we were able to reach out even further with the help of friends who are re-distributing the Dorcy lights to people who are still displaced from there homes and without power as we approach Thanksgiving.

For those of you reading this who would like to take a closer look at the Dorcy website here is the info: www.dorcy.com or to purchase products go to www.dorcydirect.com and you can use the coupon code FALL for a 15% discount, free shipping and free batteries with purchase! And I think they are having some even better discounts on their brand new line of DieHard flashlights and batteries for black Friday (25%off!!! and free batteries). Check it out on the Dorcydirect website.

I know for some of us Flashaholics, Hurricane Sandy offered an opportunity not only to put our love of flashlights to good use, and to possibly share our interest in lighting with others, but for so many people this storm has just been a living nightmare. Situations such as Hurricane Sandy bring out the best and the worst in people. As witnessed by news reports, people were fighting in long gas lines, people were stealing generators right out of neighbors backyards, looting stores etc, However, it is refreshing to see a company like Dorcy step up and reach out and shine a little light on an otherwise dark time! --Tim

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy has a history of helping those in need. It's been too long since I've crept through their catalog, but I'll so do again. Thank you and your wife for being there for people!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A wonderful thing Dorcy did.

It's unfortunate that I can't find their offerings in any of the stores I used to just a few years ago. I have a handful of Dorcy lights scattered about my home. They've never let me down.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
A wonderful thing Dorcy did.

It's unfortunate that I can't find their offerings in any of the stores I used to just a few years ago. I have a handful of Dorcy lights scattered about my home. They've never let me down.

Sears has some of the Dorcy and DieHard products, but the best place to get them is www.dorcydirect.com = lowest price, no tax, free shipping and free batteries!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the heads-up. Glad to hear that Sears still sells the brand.

scout24

Flashaholic
Kartracer- Awesome of Dorcy to do what they did, I'm glad you and yours made it OK and were able to help out so many others. Maybe a "Cheer" and link in the Marketplace as well? Great to hear about things like this. :)

Edit- Just placed an order with the dorcydirect website for a couple of their right angle 3xAAA lights... :)

Last edited:

Quiksilver

Enlightened
hope dorcy makes a profit off that act of kindness ... always nice to see behavior like that get positively $$$ rewarded.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys - I really enjoyed doing it, although as Flashaholic I must say it was a little bit hard to give away flashlights! LOL Actually it was easy, because it was a real "feel good" thing to do. :)

scout24 - good idea about the cheers -and very cool about the lights you purchased! I hope you enjoy them, they remind me of a mini-modern day version of the old Boy Scout flashlight I used to have.

Samy

Enlightened
Wow they have some cool stuff on their website! Thanks for the link!

cheers

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow they have some cool stuff on their website! Thanks for the link!

cheers

Samy - I don't think the free shipping applys to Australia, but it can't hurt to ask them for some kind of discount shipping for a CPF member :)