• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired CLOSED: Nichia 365mn UV Light Engines for Aleph & McGizmo Lights

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: I can do the light engines for $135 if I order 11, or more LEDs.
EDIT 2: The LEDs are 365nm, not 385nm as previously indicated.
EDIT 3: Option for 667mA current single level, and GDuP 3-level driver added.
EDIT 4: Monday, November 26, 2012; The list is full, and I am ordering the LEDs!

I have the opportunity to purchase some Nichia UV LEDs NCSU034B(T) NCSU033B(T) to use in making some light engines. If there is enough interest to purchase these LEDs, I will build up to 10 light engines. The price for each light engine would be $145 $135 for a single level GD LE, or $180 for a 3-level GDuP LE, shipped within the U.S.

Each light engine will use a Nichia NCSU034B(T) NCSU033B(T) LED driven at 500mA or 667mA with a single level GD converter board, or GDuP 3-level converter board with levels set at 10mA, 180mA and 700mA.. The LEDs will be mounted on an aluminum MCPCB, and pressed into a brass Aleph can (and secured with thermal epoxy for good measure). The GD board in the light engine will allow for a voltage range of 1.8V - 5.5V, for the use of primary, or RCR cells. The peak wavelength of the LED is 385nm 365nm, and the use of proper safety glasses is required. Anyone who purchases one of the light engines will be required to complete a statement acknowledging their understanding of the dangers of UV light to both their eyes and skin, and that they are prepared and equipped to protect themselves from the UV light which these light engines will produce.

These LEDs are perfect for curing Norland 61, scorpion hunting, finding pet stains, inspecting hotels for cleanliness, etc.

Please post your interest here. If there are at least 8 takers, I will order the LEDs and parts to complete these light engines. As per my usual agreement, I do not require payment until the light engines are completed to my satisfaction.

Note: Due to my purchase agreement with Nichia, I cannot sell these LEDs apart from a finished product. Please do not ask.

1. nein166 GD 500mA (single level) Complete. Paid. Shipped 12/26
2. GLOCK18 GD 667mA (single level) Complete. Paid. Shipped 12/27
3. archimedes GD 500mA (single level) Complete. Paid. Shipped 12/26
4. karlthev TBD
5. kingcow GDuP (3-level) Complete. Paid. Shipped 12/26
6. fabienne GDuP (3-level) Complete. Paid. Shipped 1/5
7. Benchiew GD 333mA (single level) Complete Paid. Shipped 1/3
8. Benchiew GDuP (3-level custom) Complete. Paid. Shipped 1/3
Two additional LE available.
9. BarryH GDuP (3-level) 500mA (single level) Complete. Paid. Shipped 1/7
10. datiLED GD 500mA (single level)

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FEELER: Nichia 365mn UV Light Engines for Aleph Lights

Would these fit in McGizmo lights like the Haiku and Mule heads?

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will take one, or rather count me interested as this isn't a sale thread

I saw some clear and yellow protective goggles do you think one is better than the other?
I think the yellows are for detecting flouresceing materials.
Clears might be better if we are charging photoluminescent things or taking pictures.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will take one, or rather count me interested as this isn't a sale thread

I saw some clear and yellow protective goggles do you think one is better than the other?
I think the yellows are for detecting flouresceing materials.
Clears might be better if we are charging photoluminescent things or taking pictures.

I am not sure about color, but you want to look for goggles/glasses with an ANSI-Z87 rating. I don't have any UV protective glasses other than the tinted variety, but will pick up a set, or two before I work with these high power LEDs. Eye protection worries are the main reason that I haven't started working with lasers yet.

Norm

Retired Administrator

All the safety glasses I've checked offer some sort f UV protection as do most prescription spectacles to what extent I'm not sure but my normal glasses allow me to see things fluoresce with less glare using my Peak triple Nichia 375nm light.

Norm

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: FEELER: Nichia 365mn UV Light Engines for Aleph & McGizmo Lights

If the spectral peak is definitely 365nm, then I am in for one ... :thanks:

---------------
EDIT - 500 mA single-level output, please
---------------

When working with high power UV, it may be worth considering laser safety rated protective glasses (or goggles). The ratings are log reductions - eg, OD 7+ will reduce transmittance by a factor of at least 10,000,000 (for the rated portion of the spectrum) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am IN, IN, IN for one!!!!!

Karl

kingcow

Newly Enlightened

I am interested.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

I added the option for a higher LED current on the single level GD light engine (667mA), and the option for a GDuP 3-level light engine with the levels at 10mA, 180mA and 700mA.

We just need one more person to commit to a light engine, and I will place the LED order on Monday. If we make it to 8 light engines, I will ask that everyone communicate to me their preference for converter board (and drive current on the single level GD).

As always, payment is not required until the light engines are completed.

fabienne

Enlightened
I wonder if 500mA will be too high for banknote inspection. Should be ok for finding scorpions. Anyone knows what is a good drive level for 2-3feet target range.
It's certainly too high for close inspection. But since you've chosen 3 level as well. I think 10mA should be sufficient enough even for 2-3 feet range in the closed room (not many visible sunlight).