*sniff* my new(ish) Fenix LD10 is dead!

Assimilator1

Newly Enlightened
Only had it 3mths, I use it all the time at work & I've got addicted to using it! lol.
Anyway found it wasn't working yesterday :(, I think it must of been it's last fall, it fell dead flat on it's side & hard.

Tried another battery at 1st as I thought I'd left it on in my pocket, but no good.
Just checked it out with my DMM & the switch is working ok, power is switching on/off between the top of the battery & the casing.

I guess I'll find out how good their warrentee is now!
Unless anyone knows any quick easy fixes?

Back to using my old torch now, which seems blueish & is nowhere near as bright (but it's survived many more falls!).

Oh while I'm here, can you folk recommend me some decent AA NiMh rechargeables + smart charger?

TIA :)

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
Have you tried to tighten the thingy in the tail cap?

Lot of people including me had this problem, which was basically the contact getting loose in the tailcap.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
First, clean the contacts and tighten anything that could be loose. Then try bridging the back of the battery with the exposed back of the batty tube. If the light works now, then the switch could be at fault. If the light doesn't work, you probably need to contact warranty (contact the seller first).

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm writing on my bulkberry, so can't give the direct link to my thread at the moment. Search for "basic flashlight troubleshooting guide" (if I'm not too drunk to remember correctly my own thread title.) Let us know about the resolution of your problem. I dropped my PD20 many times, often on purpose for demonstration and it' still going strong.

Assimilator1

Newly Enlightened
Ok thx guys :), well as I mentioned I'd checked that the switch was switching with a DMM (by removing the head) & probing at the top of the battery.
JIC I tried bridging the back of the battery anyway, no joy.

Thx for the link & guide, I'll check that out tomorrow :thumbsup:

Thx for the recommendation derfyled, everyone else agree then? ;)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Assimilator1

Newly Enlightened
........ ouch the Maha C9000 is expensive at £50!!

I've come across the Technoline BL-700 which apparently is nearly as capable as the C9000 (a comparision here http://www.256.co.uk/?p=719 ), & I can get the BL-700 +4 enelope XX AA batteries included for £40! :) http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/bl700/

Seems the only major disadvantage the BL 700 has is that it won't charge a battery when it goes below 0.9v! Which is bloody odd!, but I already have a dumb charger which I could use to boost any battery over that in the unlikely event that happens.

Anyone around here have a BL-700?

Oh btw, I should be getting my replacement LD10 by the weekend, the height it fell from was within warrantee terms,lol.
Incase you wonder why it took so long, both myself & the shop forgot about it! (+ 1 of my emails supposedly went into the junk folder....)

Last edited:

Darragh

Newly Enlightened
Just as a matter of interest, did you have to go through fenix for your warrantee? If so how were they? I have a couple of Fenix lights and I would just like to know just in case.

Cheers
Darragh

Assimilator1

Newly Enlightened
No I did it through Torchdirect who I bought it from (because it's under 1yr). Didn't get any arguements, just a few questions, just told them what happened (it fell out of my hand at about waist hieght) & they said they'd replace it :).

Assimilator1

Newly Enlightened
Got my LD10 back now with a new head & working :), although I did have an 'oh poop' moment when I put the rechargeable battery in & nothing happened! I thought for a 2nd I was wrong about the old head! Turned out the battery had gone flat since I sent off the torch ;).

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
did it have to go back to china?, or seller?.
quick turnaround.
thanks.

Got my LD10 back now with a new head & working :), although I did have an 'oh poop' moment when I put the rechargeable battery in & nothing happened! I thought for a 2nd I was wrong about the old head! Turned out the battery had gone flat since I sent off the torch ;).

ynotCCW

Newly Enlightened
Just as a matter of interest, did you have to go through fenix for your warrantee? If so how were they? I have a couple of Fenix lights and I would just like to know just in case.

Cheers
Darragh

I've been using a PD30 R5 for a couple of years with Tenergy RCR123, recently the RCR123 would no longer light the flashlight in Turbo mode so I switched back to Surefire CR123 which went dead much faster than normal. I figured the flashlight was having issues and since it was under warranty decided to send it in. I checked the Fenix website and discovered I have to go back to the original dealer for warranty so I tried to contact shopwiseguys.com who is now out of business - Now What?? I contacted 3 other Fenix dealers who will not even return my e-mails (i'm figuring since the warrantee issue is not there's they don't want to be involved). So the lesson, Buy from a reputable dealers who is going to be around. Seems like Fenix should have a better warranty system since the selling dealer doesn't want to be involved 2 years after the sale. I registered my products on the Fenix website which is supposed to increase my warranty from 24 months to 30 months but HOW...

Assimilator1

Newly Enlightened
Inccidently, I noticed that this new head put out a slightly bluer light, I prefered the older heads slightly cream/green hue. Got used to it now anyway.

did it have to go back to china?, or seller?.
quick turnaround.
thanks.

Back to seller, is within 1yr of being bought from the shop.

ynotCCW
After 1yr it's the manufacturers responsibility, in the UK at least. Where are you?

Last edited: