Kel-tec CL43 -- interesting new light

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used a handgun once, so my experience is limited. Still... I do remember how important it is to use a TWO HANDED grip for most purposes, and that the handle was quite perfect for either a one- or two-handed grip. Adding a bloblight to this handle seems like a compromise in ergonomics and control of aim. Am I the only one who wouldn't want more than one trigger to think about in an emergency situation? Seems like a solution stomping around for a problem to sit on.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
It`s just a light that can be mounted to the side of a handgun. Why attorneys dream?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adding a bloblight to this handle seems like a compromise in ergonomics and control of aim. Am I the only one who wouldn't want more than one trigger to think about in an emergency situation?
No, you are not the only one. The second picture listed in the link (also added in below) looks like it could have a rather negligent ending. With regards to two-handed shooting, that would be entirely personal preference. I would imagine there are some out there that would not be bothered (or accuracy would not be affected) having to adjust their grip. I would not be one of them.

keltec-cl-43-flashlight.jpg

Pima Pants

Newly Enlightened
It`s just a light that can be mounted to the side of a handgun. Why attorneys dream?
I believe it is recognizable in the second example; the use of two triggers on one hand. I think it's called sympathetic nervous system response. I'm no expert, but it looks to me that using their system with one hand is just asking for an accidental discharge. Two hands, not so much.

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
What a stupidly dangerous invention. A liability attorney's dream.
Agreed, putting what is essentially a second trigger on a weapon seems like a recipe for disaster in a stressful situation. I still think the TLR-1 and X300 style lights with their toggle type switches are the best option out there.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ergonomics lesson of the day: Similar motions happen together. This is one reason it's very difficult to rub your belly and pat your head at the same time - they're dissimilar motions and they don't cooperate well.

Design lesson of the day: Similar actions should do similar things. This is why we have a steering wheel to drive (Left/right are similar), and pedals to control throttle/brake (More of each = push harder), and a little fiddly knob for radio volume in a car. Dissimilar actions (Like those mentioned) should have VERY different controls.

Why is this a poor light UI, in my opinion? Because VERY dissimilar actions (Check surroundings, fire handgun) are given VERY similar actions (Close a finger or hand). Also, I do not think I can fire a handgun worth carrying while holding it with my pinky finger, ring finger, and thumb. Look at the user photo shown above: What will recoil do in this situation? Heck, what will even an appropriate trigger pull do to most peoples' aim? And last but not least, I can't help but think of the problems with a metal clip under your thumb.

Also, there are certain handguns where this light encourages VERY unsafe behavior. Like it or not, some semi-safety mechanisms are primed when the back of the grip is squeezed. So momentary-light action would require...constant, light squeezing. I hope it's below the pull of that lever, if your gun is so designed.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
As a flashlight?...kinda cool. As a weapon light like shown in that picture i agree its a disaster waiting to happen.

Canuke

Enlightened
If Kel-Tec follows their usual distribution/supply pattern with these as with their rifles, the danger will be considerably mitigated by the difficulty of finding one.

Tiresius

Enlightened
I'm sure I read a report recently where someone got shot because the person holding the pistol thought they were switching the attached light on.

It was a cop who shot a guy because he tried to activate the pressure switch on a Surefire light. Instead, he clicked the trigger and the guy died.

jgradyc

Newly Enlightened
In defense of Kel Tec, the grip shown is an alternate grip and not the primary grip.

I don't know how to include an image, but it's a two handed grip with the flashlight actuated by the left trigger finger.

That said, all the same arguments about sympathetic reflex still apply to the two handed grip. For those looking for a handgun light, the Harries flashlight technique is better, in my opinion.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you are not the only one. The second picture listed in the link (also added in below) looks like it could have a rather negligent ending. With regards to two-handed shooting, that would be entirely personal preference. I would imagine there are some out there that would not be bothered (or accuracy would not be affected) having to adjust their grip. I would not be one of them.

keltec-cl-43-flashlight.jpg

I have this gun. It's a PF-9. It's small, light weight, 9mm, and kicks like a snubnosed .357 magnum (I have one of those too - S&W.) I bet the gun would come close to flying out of most people's hand if they held it with this light as shown above. If it didn't fly out of your hand then I bet at least accuracy would be compromised quite I bit.....just my opionion though.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAs instead of cr123A?

Yuck, I hope not. It looks more like 2x123A and a shallow TIR. Rule of thumb: Most flashlights are one cell longer than their battery stack. Unless that's a very small hand, the light is not over 100mm long.

Mini Mag Lite is 167mm (3x50mm, with the 17mm tailcap). FourSevens Quark is about 150mm with 100mm of cells, Quark Mini AA is abnormally short at +0.5 'cell' length (76mm light, 50mm cell) , Surefire 6P is a bit above average at +2 cells long (132mm light, 64mm of cells). However, the 18650 patterned lights are right about on target with this rule (130mm light, 65mm cell). Clearly this rule of thumb is easily broken, but it's an interesting form-follows-function pattern for most lights.