Wicked Lasers claims you can cook a turkey with their flashlights

H-Man

Enlightened
Pfft. Those arn't the most powerful flashlights in the world. I think we have a 20,000 lumen maglight somewhere on this forum.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Let's at least have the Video of this ridiculous claim.

Liked the comments re: battery changes on the linked page.

Norm

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Browning the skin is one thing but that thing does NOT look cooked on the inside. I think the people making that claim should be required to eat that turkey.
:toilet:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

As long as the internal temperature is over 160F,,,go waste some batteries:poke::drunk::help::party::hitit:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

moozooh

Enlightened
Actually, there's nothing to debunk there. The bulb used is a 100W halogen, that is a lot of thermal power focused in front of the light. Your typical XM-L powerhouse only dissipates about 10W, and that is enough to make you uncomfortably hot; there's a good reason this bulb can ignite a piece of paper instantly. As long as there is no significant convection and ambient temperature isn't too low, they can indeed cook something before bulbs give out even with one light, let alone two.

Re: brightest flashlight claim, IIRC they actually did get into the Guinness book for the brightest mass-produced flashlight on the market. They weren't comparing themselves with custom builds, because obviously there'd be no practical sense in that, as custom builds don't have the same kind of limitations with regards to practicality, cost, and manufacturing volume.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Actually, there's nothing to debunk there. The bulb used is a 100W halogen, that is a lot of thermal power focused in front of the light. Your typical XM-L powerhouse only dissipates about 10W, and that is enough to make you uncomfortably hot; there's a good reason this bulb can ignite a piece of paper instantly. As long as there is no significant convection and ambient temperature isn't too low, they can indeed cook something before bulbs give out even with one light, let alone two.

Re: brightest flashlight claim, IIRC they actually did get into the Guinness book for the brightest mass-produced flashlight on the market. They weren't comparing themselves with custom builds, because obviously there'd be no practical sense in that, as custom builds don't have the same kind of limitations with regards to practicality, cost, and manufacturing volume.

My stock SureFire M6 can set a piece of paper on fire. I'm not impressed when a company uses fire-starting as a marketing claim. SureFire doesn't. (They realize that for a flashlight, it's not a pragmatic reason for folks to buy one.) If I want breakfast, I can cook a couple of eggs underneath the hood of my car after driving it for a few hours. Doesn't make it a good reason to buy a car.

Even as an emergency fire-starting technique, there's not an outdoorsman worth his salt who doesn't carry at least 3 separate methods for starting a fire.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Even as an emergency fire-starting technique, there's not an outdoorsman worth his salt who doesn't carry at least 3 separate methods for starting a fire.

That would be a far more interesting challenge; find the chepest, most expedient way to cook a turkey.

You're in the woods with your usual kit, and a 12 lb Butterball. What comes next?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That would be a far more interesting challenge; find the chepest, most expedient way to cook a turkey.

You're in the woods with your usual kit, and a 12 lb Butterball. What comes next?

My Kabar knife to slice it into smaller pieces and cook them over a campfire in a folding pan.

moozooh

Enlightened
My stock SureFire M6 can set a piece of paper on fire. I'm not impressed when a company uses fire-starting as a marketing claim. SureFire doesn't. (They realize that for a flashlight, it's not a pragmatic reason for folks to buy one.) If I want breakfast, I can cook a couple of eggs underneath the hood of my car after driving it for a few hours. Doesn't make it a good reason to buy a car.

Surefire M6 isn't a novelty light; the Torch is. As if the runtime of 5-10 minutes doesn't tell that pretty explicitly... I'm surprised you had to compare lights intended for virtually as different audiences as possible.

I've heard WL have been working on a new light to stay in the GBR; the Torch is from early 2008—it predates high power Cree and Luminus LEDs by a good margin, and back then there was no better technology to cram more than 4100 lm into a handheld light. The whole point of the light was to be a flashy record-breaker, and these days XM-L-based production lights actually approach that number, so it's definitely time to move on. I'd guesstimate they could at least double the brightness in roughly the same size and thermal package with newer LEDs, and it'll be enough to stay in the GBR for a few more years.

I wonder if they'll be able to keep the burning effect to a similar degree without damaging the LEDs, though... Sounds like they'd need some sort of active cooling.