New guy needs some info - Surefire Z2/C2/M2

B

Blaster

Hello all, I have been looking for my first Surefire light and have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer. I am trying to figure out if there is any difference in the way a Z2, C2, or M2 throws light using the same lamp assembly? And if the only difference in these models is surface finish, Clip or no Clip. I do see that the M2 comes with two lamps and is shock isolated. Beyond those differences I can't understand the price differences, am I missing something?

One last question -- Any idea on when the L5 will be available?

Thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF Blaster!

The Z2 is the "CombatLight" with adjustable CombatGrip and Lanyard. Only in black. P60 Lamp.

The C2 is the version with Clip and Grip (non-adjustable). No lanyard. In either black or HA. P60 Lamp.

The M2 is the version with Clip, Grip (non-adjustable) and Shock Isolated Bezel. No Lanyard. Only in HA. With both P60 and High Output P61 Lamps.

The outer "surround" beam of the M2 is slightly smaller and slightly brighter because the Lamp Assembly is deeper within the Shock Isolated Bezel then in the standard bezel. I don't notice a difference in use but can tell the beams apart most of the time.

Pricing is down to may things. We could argue about it but at the end of the day, people have to justify the cost for themselves based on their requirements I guess. In general, I doubt most people need the M2.
Of the three, I would pick the M2 even though I don't need it.
From the range of standard sized SureFires (two SF123A), I would pick the G2Z model. (I don't find clips on such large flashlights useful since they are too big for EDC (every day carry) for the function they serve me). The only bulb model I would still consider for EDC is the A2.
The G2Z is light-weight, feature rich, extremely tough, and personally, I think it is one of the best models SureFires offers.

The L5 will be available to the public "soon". I hope before the end of the year.

Al

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! Looks like Al has it pretty much summed up. I think it depends a lot on personal feel, in addition to need. Some lights just feel better to some people, and that can make a lot of difference. One Surefire that comes to mind is the L1. It feels just right to some people, and not good at all to others. I like to hold the lights before I get them if at all possible. Once you get up to Surefire, all the lights are great for the specific task they preform, it just sometimes becomes a matter of which one feels best. Hope this helps

-Mike

DumboRAT

Enlightened
15s and X pretty much covered it all....

Just one side-point: The M2 is much harder to find proper holsters for as compared to either the C2 or Z2, due to the size of its bezel.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Cthelite

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:
15s and X pretty much covered it all....

Just one side-point: The M2 is much harder to find proper holsters for as compared to either the C2 or Z2, due to the size of its bezel.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Comp-Tac. If Greg does't make it he will... You might have to send him the light for a model though...

DumboRAT

Enlightened
C -

Thanks for that tip -- I should have made myself clearer...the above "problem" with finding proper M2 holsters (tip/bezel-down carry) should have been framed in the context that it is much harder to find PRODUCTION, ready-made off-the-shelf holders.

This was made painfully clear to a discrete/street-dress LEO on Lightfighter's Forums...and yes, one of the places that either myself or another recommended to him was Comp-Tac.

Unfortunately, his exhausted *_all_* of our combined links/resorces but was not able to find a ready-made bezel-down....and was reluctant to part with his light for custom fitting.

=(

Allen
aka DumboRAT

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Blaster,

I was like you when I started with Surefire's product. In terms of power they are about the same. I decided on the M2 even though I like my friend's Z3 because of the extra run time with the 105 lumens bulb. I never regretted my decision. The M2 feels solid compared to C2 and Z2. The M2 makes you feel like you are holding a tank, something not used by the meek... care to try????

Andy Ho

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're going to get the Z2, go for the G2Z instead...you get a more durable and wear-resistant body with a pyrex lens. i have one and i like it a lot. if you want a pocketclip, i suggest getting a C2, and then getting an M2 bezel if you feel you need it. besides the SIS bezel, the etching and the extra O-ring on the battery tube lip, the C2 and M2 bodies are essentially identical.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
if you're going to get the Z2, go for the G2Z instead...you get a more durable and wear-resistant body with a pyrex lens.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you're like me and like to run your SureFires with their optional high-output lamps, the Pyrex lens is definitely a good idea.

However, keep in mind that the trade-off is that the Lexan is much more shock resistant....it'll shrug-off a drop that would otherwise have shattered or chipped the Pyrex.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No free lunches!

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Blikbok

Enlightened
I would advise not to go cheap on a light. If you want the M2, don't settle for another light simply because it is cheaper.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
I would advise not to go cheap on a light. If you want the M2, don't settle for another light simply because it is cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but you can get a good deal on even the most expensive Surefire lights if you know were to look and aren't in a hurry.

-Mike

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
I agree, but you can get a good deal on even the most expensive Surefire lights if you know were to look and aren't in a hurry.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

True Mike. There is a shop in Singapore who happens to have an M6 for sale at approx. US$250 because it was sent to the police force as sample for them to decide on whether to do a mass order to supply to their units. It still works and looks brand new. I am tempted to purchase it too.

Andy Ho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif