Battery for an XML LED (dive light)

Atanasovski

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I'm new at building and modifying my own lights, and I must say even before I have started I got hooked on all of this. Must say I now understand why so many of you are here and busy at home :)

Here is my question. I'm trying to build a canister light with modding a 2D Maglight, and already have a Cree XML T6 module that is suppose to fit with minimal modifications to the maglite. I have a battery pack that I use for my other hobbies, and I'm wondering if I can use it for powering this module, here is the link for the battery that I have:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21940

Will this battery be good to powering this module?

Thanks,
Daniel

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Which module do you have and what are the voltage spec for that module? As long as you battery voltage is something the LED module is rated to take, you should be fine.

Make sure the thermal path from the module to the Maglite body is good, you don't want to cook the LED.

:welcome:

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
Hi Daniel and welcome to the best forum in the world.

I all depends on the driver you are using for your XM-L. The battery pack is able to deliver insane high current which it not required in this setup, it delivers 7.4V which needs a buck driver to regulate the voltage down to ~3-3.5 V for the emitter.