SSC P4 or Cree MC-E for EDC P60 based light?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I've always heard y'all were huge fans of the SSC P4, right? I've also heard a neutral white MC-E is absolutely excellent, too.

my question is such: should I get a P4 based Surefire compatible module? or should I get an MC-E?

Does one have more EDC-friendly, around the house sorta beam qualities the other doesn't have? or should I get both? I'm thinking the MC-E would have a lot more flood due to the quad dies, correct? whereas the P4 may be more focused?

any of y'all care to chime in?

edit: to be specific, I'm looking at both in either NW or WW. :)

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are older. Both are good but totally different. Yup, the p4 is more focused, the MCE is a flooder in a p60. Both have nice tints.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are older. Both are good but totally different. Yup, the p4 is more focused, the MCE is a flooder in a p60. Both have nice tints.
thanks, yeah I know I've read a lot of good nostalgia posts about the P4s is why i want one haha

so is the P4's more focus comparable to the XP-G?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes. We have a couple P4 lights, all my wifes, and she liked them alot. I have a couple MCE, and like them alot. Pretty similar, at least looks it to me, just not as powerful.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes. We have a couple P4 lights, all my wifes, and she liked them alot. I have a couple MCE, and like them alot. Pretty similar, at least looks it to me, just not as powerful.

gotcha, i'll probably forgo the P4 then since I already have XP-G lights, you think that's wise?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just depends on what your after. An MCE can push over 900lm but gets toasty warm at that level. I like the MCE tints better as well and throw simply through brute force in a p60. IE Elektrolumens EDC. You can prob find shots of both on here.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
But no nostalgia. Dunno bout the better beam profile or tint either, thats respective to the bin and the reflector or optic used I think.

yowzer

Enlightened
You can get high CRI P4 leds that have a much nicer tint than any high CRI Cree LEDs I've seen. Aside from those, I'd go with a modern LED design instead for new drop ins. More efficient for longer run times, and more lumens if that's your thing depending on the drop in's circuit.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I really like my 5000K XM-L, but I can see what some have complained about - a slight variation of tint from hotspot to edge of spill. It's a non-issue for me since I like the relatively efficiency at high outputs and the relatively floody beam.

Some have also complained about the 'donut' in the MC-E P60's, although I haven't tried one of those.

This may be a silly question, but have you tried the M61's in 'N', 'W', or 'HCRI' (or the M91W's for that matter)?
I wouldn't trade an M61N or my M91N for most any MC-E dropin or any number of P4 dropins.
Knowing your thoughts relative to those would be helpful for making suggestions.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know some folks still prefer the Malkoff M60's with the MCE as well. In my MCE lights, all have OP reflectors so no donut.

archimedes

Flashaholic
With all due respect, the question strikes me a bit like trying to compare apples & oranges :)

If the comparison was P7 vs MC-E, though, I find that I usually prefer the MC-E (in terms of typical beam pattern and usual tint bins).

It's tough to generalize, however, as there are so many other variables (reflector shape / texture, or optic used, how much current is being pushed through the emitter, etc, etc), all with significant effects on the output ....

Last edited: