whats the difference ? E05 R2 & R3

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi there, i now have 2 fenix E05's with XP-E R2 LEDS.
what difference then is it then with the E05 R3 ?

i mean the XPE R2 im using seems as neutral white & thats what i want, neutral.

is the R3 a mixture of over neutral and near cool white then?.

some sellers are selling R2, some R3.
i like the R2 though..

wonder if this will be the same neutral as the new pd32 t6!.

thanks.

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
Tint and brightness (Q, R, S, etc.) are two different classification bins. Depending on the circuitry, a light with an R3 brightness bin will either be slightly brighter or have slightly longer runtime for the same lumens than a similar light with an R2 binned LED.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks . just wondering , my E05 seems like neutral white rather than anything else? is my XPE R2 actually neutral white?...or how can i check?.
the LED looks a little square...

im all new to this, sorry and big thanks....

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
thanks . just wondering , my E05 seems like neutral white rather than anything else? is my XPE R2 actually neutral white?...or how can i check?.
the LED looks a little square...

im all new to this, sorry and big thanks....

The "R2" is bin, not tint. The shape of the XP-E is going to be the same however I think the color might be a bit different. You decide.

A neutral white Q3 (bin) 5A (tint) XP-E.

IMG_3674.jpg

A XP-E R2. Cool White.

IMG_0059.jpg

Cool white on the left, neutral on the right.

IMG_0561.jpg

There are some variations in tints with LEDs even if the classification might be "cool white" etc. Some are vanilla white, angry blue and others the feared squid **** green. They call it the "tint lottery" around these parts. Also keep in mind I know nothing compared to some on CPF.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The R2 model E05 is rated at 27 lumens, has that nice R2 tint, and is a little big tighter in the beam spread than the 30 lumen XPG model.

There is no real noticeable difference in brightness, but the beam spread is slightly different, and the tint is different.
I have the R2 model, and find it to be perfect.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks everyone, I got this back from fenix as when i tried to enter my serial numbers on their site, nothing was coming back, but they sent me this fb reply...

Fenix Worldwide
Darryl, E05 with S/N **218 uses CREE XP-E R3, the other E05 uses CREE XP-E R4. Both of them are white LED.

so is fenix saying they are both thermal white or cool white?.
also i have noticed my black E05 seems a little cool whiter than my partners purple E05 being more neutral white, & that ends in S/N 218 .

thanks again.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
thanks everyone, I got this back from fenix as when i tried to enter my serial numbers on their site, nothing was coming back, but they sent me this fb reply...

Fenix Worldwide
Darryl, E05 with S/N **218 uses CREE XP-E R3, the other E05 uses CREE XP-E R4. Both of them are white LED.

so is fenix saying they are both thermal white or cool white?.
also i have noticed my black E05 seems a little cool whiter than my partners purple E05 being more neutral white, & that ends in S/N 218 .

thanks again.

Yes. They're both cool white but do to the variations within the LEDs the tints will be slightly different.