Rode a Segway today!!!!!

dtsoll

Enlightened
You know, the two wheel standup vehicle. lean forward go forward, lean backward, go backward. Very fun machine. 5 grand a pop, I don't think I will have one anytime soon but if I were very wealthy........Anyone else ridden one???? Tricky at first, but if you relax and don't get too jerky, very steady leaning, I almost had it mastered in less than a couple of minutes. Very, Very coool!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
I rode one too. Pure magic. It just seems imposible.
Very easy to learn.

But $5k would buy a lot of flashlights.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll buy one when I can afford a house large enough to have a main hallway large enough to accommodate four lanes for these vehicles. Of course, I'd want traffic lights at the intersections with the smaller halls, and stop signs at the parking lots near each of the kitchens and the game rooms. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

doubleganger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tree said:
I've seen Segways crusing around New Orleans. Looks like fun! But I'd rather give this a try.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd love to try that but I wonder what genius decided to put the acceleration control on the left. Or is having the 'gas' on the right handle not standard outside the US?

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Tree,

I grew up in Taiwan, watching all sorts of cool Japanese Anime that's not available here in the US....

There used to be a cartoon in which an "exoskeletal"-type body armor suit would transform from the motorcycle that the rider was on.

That cool transport you cited looks about right-on.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:
Tree,

I grew up in Taiwan, watching all sorts of cool Japanese Anime that's not available here in the US....

There used to be a cartoon in which an "exoskeletal"-type body armor suit would transform from the motorcycle that the rider was on.
Allen
aka DumboRAT

[/ QUOTE ]

That was ROBOTECH back in the 80's. I think that was the 3rd or 4th season.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
THAT's it!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thank you!

Now I remember, I cought the re-runs here in the States, after coming over from Taiwan just a few years before.

I owe you one!

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Empath

Flashaholic
I've noticed that some localities have made an effort to insure that these will be treated under the same rules basically as bicycles. I have no difficulty with such a distinction, but wouldn't that limit it to recreational or special need use. It seems that would more or less invalidate the targeted artificial need promoted by it's promoters.

No doubt the designers have made a nice machine. However, producing a machine that has no practical use to the general public, requires some heavy promotion to talk the general public into thinking they need it.

The preferred method is to fill a need by building a device. Here we've got a device that requires creating a need.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
doubleganger said:
I'd love to try that but I wonder what genius decided to put the acceleration control on the left. Or is having the 'gas' on the right handle not standard outside the US?

[/ QUOTE ]
The twistie on the handlebar is not the accelerator, as far as I understand. You temper your speed with the amount of lean. The twist thingy is to allow turning. Certainly NO standard for that in any country that I'm aware of!

doubleganger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
doubleganger said:

[/ QUOTE ]
The twistie on the handlebar is not the accelerator, as far as I understand. You temper your speed with the amount of lean. The twist thingy is to allow turning. Certainly NO standard for that in any country that I'm aware of!

[/ QUOTE ]

quote from the article:
"To move the Embrio, you use an accelerator trigger on the left handlebar and a brake trigger on the right"

I would find that extremely awkward.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Actually, the one I rode the left hand control was the turning device. Turns on a dime too! Darell is correct, the speed is determined by the amount of lean forward or back. I am speaking of the Segway of course. doubleganger is talking about the Embrio which looks very interesting indeed! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
HOLD IT!

The speed of the Segway is adjusted by how much you lean. Turning is done on the left handlebar.

The Embrio motorcycle thing in the link above is accelerated on the left and broke (braked?) on the right. Odd for the US indeed.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

B@rt

Flashaholic
I wonder why thy didn't go for a simular approach as on a normal motorcycle with the Embryo, both throttle and brake on the right side... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:
THAT's it!

Thank you!

Now I remember, I cought the re-runs here in the States, after coming over from Taiwan just a few years before.

I owe you one!

Allen

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the first season (macross) on VHS.
You can have it for $25 + shipping.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
CNC, thanks, but my wallet is currently in "recovery" state from my last purchasing binge!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

shrap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
I've noticed that some localities have made an effort to insure that these will be treated under the same rules basically as bicycles. I have no difficulty with such a distinction, but wouldn't that limit it to recreational or special need use. [...]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying that bicycles can only be used for recreational or special need uses?

Thousands, if not millions of people commute to work, go to the store, run errands, etc. on bicycles.

Empath

Flashaholic
Yes, Shrap, I worded it very poorly. I don't regard bicycles as purely special need and recreational. I've made a lot of use of bicycles.

However, if localities are dictating that Segway be treated as bicycles, then that would mean it's ridden on the bike path, in the street, and rarely sidewalks, particularly in heavier use pedestrian traffic. It seems that would destroy the very intent of the vehicle and invalidate the targeted marketing aim.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I've just taken a look at the Segway Web site. What a facinating machine!
This is what Sir Clive should have made 20 years ago! The Segway is just the latest in a long line of commuting tools. The difficulty here with electrically powered 2WV's is that they're technically illegal, although most are safer than pushbikes when used on designated pushbike lanes! That was the problem the C5 faced and machines lik the Segway are also affected. The law takes ages to catch up with technology.
I hope that the Segway and other EP2WV's will be more popular so that the law can be changed. We want gridlock-free streets and this may be an answer! Yet another alternative to the petrol enginned car for short journeys!
All EP2WV's are great fun, and the Segway, with its side-by-side wheel configuration is certainly very different and innovative!