which customlites dropin?

Z06Pilot

Newly Enlightened
looking for a balance of spill and throw, I have a novatac 120p with a k2 emiter upgrade. I am looking for somthing like that but on a larger scale, with my surefire Z2 light as a host. I was thinking the P60 / D26 Cree XM-L U3 dropin from customlites would be cool, with the orange peel reflector, but I am open to sugestions. Why is the P60 / Luminus SST-90 dropin $30 more, it has less output what am I missing? Also, I see the max voltage for these is 6v so I could use 2 primary cells in my surefire host, but if I want to go rechargeable should I use an 18650?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SST-90 is a much more expensive LED from the factory which is why it's more expensive for Nailbender to build a drop in with it. The SST-90 is capable of higher output than the XM-L if driven harder but with the same driver and battery, the XM-L is more efficient, thus the higher rated output.

The SST-90 is also a much larger LED, so in the same reflector, it produces a much more floody beam profile. The XM-L will give you a much better balance of spot and spill. Additionally, check out the XP-G2 for even more spot relative to spill. In any case I recommend the OP reflector for the best beam profile.

You're correct about the battery situation. Two primaries or a single li-ion. However, you should know that a stock Surefire will not accommodate an 18650. You will either have to have it bored out or you can use a 17670. You'll get much improved runtime on an 18650 if you're willing to go the bored route.

Tiresius

Enlightened
GeoBruin got it right on the mark.

The price of an SST-90 is much more than the price of an XM-L.

Boring your surefire for 18650 is tricky and I'm not sure if it'll work. You'll have to ask GadgetLover about the dimensions of the body tube after the grip ring and whether the light is capable of boring. He's quite a gentleman and very knowledgeable in these things. It looks like they tapered the tube slightly and "if" bored, you can rip a hole or tear the threaded part off from the rest of the tube.

If you want to play it safe, go with the 17670 battery but you'll get reduced run-times. Still, much much cheaper than running primaries.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Oveready will sell you a pre-bored host or they will bore yours if you send it in. Surefire body tubes are thicker than usual so you don't run the risk of damaging the host if its done correctly.

Oveready bores Surefires. No problem.