Vintage Build

CTRacing

Newly Enlightened
This will be my first build so I have a lot of questions.

First off, this is the host that I want to use:

I was planning on using a SST-90 from dealextreme
http://dx.com/p/sst-90-2300lm-led-emitter-8000k-white-light-bulb-4-2v-47961
I plan to use the SST-90 because the only reflector I could find on dealextreme that was big enough for my host is made for a sst-90
http://dx.com/p/sst-90-smooth-aluminum-reflector-7-3cm-diameter-47996

So I'm not stuck on using that LED and reflector but it seems like it will fit easily.

I found this driver
http://www.lck-led.com/constant-current-circuit-driver-modes-sst90-p-863.html

I understand that the driver and LED will be giving off a lot of heat and so I'll need a large heatsink.

Where can I find a heatsink that will work?

What batteries should I use and in what configuration?

Any ideas of what to do about a switch? I don't think I can use the old one.

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Hoop

Enlightened
Is that a 4D cell host or 5D? You could use 2D lithium ion batteries such as Feilong 36650's and use the rest of the space for the heatsink. You could also use 26650's inside a pvc tube so they don't wobble. The Feilong cells are 2.7" long. [68.6mm]

I am unsure if that driver needs a momentary switch or a standard switch, but it appears your flashlight has both. The red button is presumably a momentary switch for Morse Code, so you can use that switch. You might be able to utilize the slider switch to keep the light from being able to be turned on at all. You would probably have to modify the switch to make the slider useful like that.

Just a FYI, that reflector and most led reflectors can be used interchangeably with other leds, as long as the led dome fits in the vertex opening of the reflector. That reflector would work fine with an XML for instance.

I have that reflector, and I am not sure it will fit into that host without modification. This is a model I made:

dxsst90reflector.jpg

Inches to mm conversions:
2.870"x25.4= 72.90mm
2.021"x25.4= 51.33mm
1.946"x25.4= 49.43mm
1.81"x25.4= 45.97mm
1.63"x25.4= 41.40mm
1.50"x25.4= 38.10mm
1.063"x25.4= 27.00mm

The 35mm battery tube of that light will not accommodate the 1.5" [38.1mm] section of the reflector.

The reflector can be turned down though. My model includes an approximation of the parabola of the reflector so I know how far the lower section of the reflector can be turned before ruining it.

dxsst90reflectormodifie.jpg

According to my model, you should be able to reduce the bottom 1.5" diameter portion to 1.375" [35mm] up to and slightly beyond .237" [appx. 6mm] in length from the bottom of that portion of the reflector. You could also bevel/chamfer off the remaining square notch without worrying about cutting into the parabola. This leaves 1.709" [43.4mm] of length that is too large for the battery tube, so it will be a close fit but doable.

Another option is to simply throw in a 75mm aspheric lens in there rather than a reflector.

As for the heatsink, you will need to make one or have one made. Typically It would just be a solid piece of aluminum turned to the inner diameter of the battery tube, lightly pressed/slip fit into place. Those vintage lights are irregularly shaped and thin so it might be necessary to turn the heatsink a bit undersized and use thermal tape or adhesive to squeeze it in there. The body isn't going to lend itself to much heat dissipation being so thin and made of steel anyway. Basically just grab a chunk of 35mm [1.375"] aluminum round bar and file and lap or turn the end flat, then glue your sst90 or xml star on there with thermal adhesive. You can do it all by hand without having to do any drilling and tapping or lathe work. You might need to grind or file a relief on the side of the round bar for the wires and such.

An XML is going to generate much less heat and you can crank it to 1,000 lumens still, so if this is bright enough that is another option. You can still use the same reflector but will need to source a different driver.

Last edited:

CTRacing

Newly Enlightened
I have that reflector, and I am not sure it will fit into that host without modification. This is a model I made:

dxsst90reflector.jpg

Inches to mm conversions:
2.870"x25.4= 72.90mm
2.021"x25.4= 51.33mm
1.946"x25.4= 49.43mm
1.81"x25.4= 45.97mm
1.63"x25.4= 41.40mm
1.50"x25.4= 38.10mm
1.063"x25.4= 27.00mm

The 35mm battery tube of that light will not accommodate the 1.5" [38.1mm] section of the reflector.

The reflector can be turned down though. My model includes an approximation of the parabola of the reflector so I know how far the lower section of the reflector can be turned before ruining it.

dxsst90reflectormodifie.jpg
What software are you using for you model? I thought about creating all the parts in solidworks before I built it. Any chance I can get a copy of your file of the DX reflector?

Another option is to simply throw in a 75mm aspheric lens in there rather than a reflector.
I thought about doing a aspheric lens, so I don't need a reflector at all if I use one?

Hoop

Enlightened
I am using Rhino 3D.

Yes I can give you my model. I'll pm you.

You do not use a reflector with an aspheric lens or the projected image will not be clean. There will be some messed up looking side spill.

Last edited: