Which headlamp for LS mod?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Any fellas know of a good headlamp donor for a luxeon? I've never owned a headlamp and need advice. Appreciate any info.
txs

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rayovac 3 in 1 is very easy to mod to LS. It's available at Walmart. There's some LS headlamps coming out, though, so you might want to just wait for one from Princeton Tec or Black Diamond.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Lux and Clifton, thanx for the info and the link. I wish those headlamps weren't so pricey. They're nice but not for that price. Mod it is.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I thought it was in this thread, but someone said to check out REI on a Luxeon Headlamp. I picked up one today (Black Diamond Zenix $45) and must I say it's an awsome light. I'd highly recommend it.

It's got two regular LEDs and a luxeon in the middle w/ NX-05. LED's got a slight blue tint and the luxeon is purplish (mine had no green tint). Small, lightweight, & runs on 3AAA. Black Diamond claims 100hrs on the two 5mm LEDs and 15hrs on the Lux. Best part I like about it is you don't have to go through both modes of lights before turning off like the Xenergy flashlight. Press once, two LEDs on, press again, light off, press once more, Lux on, etc. Nice touch.
zenix.jpg

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darkzero, not to pick nits, but the SL TT series is off-low-off-high just like you describe. Or am I misreading what you wrote?

That is a nice headlamp, I wonder if a Fraen LP could be dropped in in place of the NX05?

Jon

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
Darkzero, not to pick nits, but the SL TT series is off-low-off-high just like you describe. Or am I misreading what you wrote?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is?? damn guess my memory's not to good these days./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
I should edit the post. Thanx for making that clear.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like it has the same type of switch as in the Gemini, which I like.

I didn't know it had an NX05. I though they were using a reflector/lens combination, but I must have misinterpreted their advertisement. I think I like this, though, because it might give some flexibility by changing out the optics.

A couple questions:

1) Is the switch on the bottom? I'm guessing it's a click/type switch with a rubber cover?

2) I can't judge the width of those straps. Are they 1" like PT, or 3/4" like the other BDs.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
1) Is the switch on the bottom? I'm guessing it's a click/type switch with a rubber cover?

2) I can't judge the width of those straps. Are they 1" like PT, or 3/4" like the other BDs.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Yes, you guessed it exactly.

2) I don't have it with me right now (at work) but if I remember correctly the straps are about 1". 3/4" seems a bit small but I could be wrong. Maybe someone else can confirm.

txs

mrme

Enlightened
I put a LS in a Black Diamond Lunar.

The Lunar is just like the Gemeni, but without the LED. The switch will acomodate an LED easily, so I just added the LS.

There is a plastic plate where the LED would mount. So, I made a heatsink out of aluminum in the same shape to replace the plastic piece.

I put a switch inside to switch between 100 ma and 350 ma, which were controled ny resistors.

It is great since I have the xenon for distance and the unfocused LD LS for close up.

Lunar- $20
LS- $15
Resistors- cheap
Switch- $1

Not bad for the best headlamp I have ever seen.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrme,

Did you mean that you have both LD and xenon in there simultaneously? I'm assuming the LD is offset, since you say it's unfocused. If so, how big a hole in the reflector did you have to make, and does the presence of the reflector give a weirdly shaped beam?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
All I know is if modding a plastic one, you will need to install the LS on a significantly-sized aluminum or similar-type metal piece as a heatsink -- with it preferably Not located against one's forehead! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif