D25A Clicky - Issues?

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
I have an Eagletac D25A Clicky in neutral white. I couldn't tell if I was making it up/user error or if the light was malfunctioning but on a couple occasions when the head was loosened (moon/med/hi setting) i could swear it would come on at max/turbo and stay that way even when continuing to loosen it. I was expecting it to come on in moonlight but it came on in turbo despite the head being loose. Half-pressing the clicky to switch modes didn't seem to resolve the problem (stayed in turbo). Only after I turned the light off and on again did it resolve. This happened a couple times so I want to rule out user error (I know how to use my lights). Anyone report any similar issues?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
this error is known to those who have a faulty specimen.
i know it too, and it was reported by other few users on cpf too.
simply put, your specimen is faulty.

you cant repair it.

you have 10yrs of warranty.

you know what to do now.

:p

btw: it helps if you include the word "Eagletac" in your thread title, so that your thread is easier to find with board search or google search. just saying.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this problem on both my D25a aluminum neutral and D25a Ti neutral. The problem only occurs when I use li-ion batteries. When I use primaries both lights work fine.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this problem on both my D25a aluminum neutral and D25a Ti neutral. The problem only occurs when I use li-ion batteries. When I use primaries both lights work fine.

Fireclaw, with head loosened: go into the lower group (Moonlight - Med - High - blinkies) with Eneloop, i.e. moonlight mode is activated.
When you now use liion batteries, you will get Low - High - High - blinkies when the head is loosened.

When on Eneloop you switch between head loosened and head tightened and the light is always High, then the light is faulty and needs ..etc..

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks @shelm (noted on thread title) and @fireclaw!

I usually run eneloops but I may have an Energizer Lithium primary in there (need to check later) and perhaps that is causing the issue...

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireclaw, with head loosened: go into the lower group (Moonlight - Med - High - blinkies) with Eneloop, i.e. moonlight mode is activated.
When you now use liion batteries, you will get Low - High - High - blinkies when the head is loosened.

When on Eneloop you switch between head loosened and head tightened and the light is always High, then the light is faulty and needs ..etc..

Here's my problem:

With head loosened in li-ion I should indeed get low and max settings.

But I've found that sometimes if I touch the head or button so that the light goes to the next mode then low disppears and I ONLY get max (plus strobes). Low is completely gone when this happens, no matter how many times I cycle the light. Instead of low I get max. And yes, I can tell where low is supposed to be based on when strobe activates. When this happens I can press the tailcap button 30x with the head loose and cycle through max and strobes but never see low. Where low is supposed to be, the light runs at max.

When low disppears in this manner even taking out the battery sometimes doesn't return its ability to do low mode. I might then put the light away and take it out a week later and low mode is back... temporarily.

What's worse is the D25a seems completely unreliable. If I run it with li-ion I can't reliably depend on ever having low mode, because sometimes I might have it and sometimes it will go away. There's no way to control it. Sometimes low works, sometimes it doesn't. And without the low mode I consider the D25a unusable for EDC as it heats up too fast at max mode.

I also have a D25c neutral aluminum that doesn't have this problem. Low mode always works on the D25c (on IMR 16340) even if in head loosened mode I cycle out of it and then back into it.

Note that the D25a only has this problem with 3.7v li-ion cells. On 1.5v primaries all modes work perfectly.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the appeal of using a 14500 in this light at all. Yeah, it can do it, and I guess is officially sanctioned by ET, but it clearly was not designed for it. I really like the D25A clicky, but I considering it an Eneloop-only light.

Verndog

Enlightened
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the appeal of using a 14500 in this light at all. Yeah, it can do it, and I guess is officially sanctioned by ET, but it clearly was not designed for it. I really like the D25A clicky, but I considering it an Eneloop-only light.

Exactly. Just got mine today and I was already well aware of this issue from plenty of reading up on the light. If you want to use 3.7V cells I'd say you picked the wrong light. Why not just run what works best and have an awesome light?

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireclaw, you did fully understand my post, didnt you?

Here's my problem:

With head loosened in li-ion I should indeed get low and max settings.

This is ONLY IF on the light the MOONLIGHT mode is activated. You can activate Moonlight mode with Eneloop: twisting the heads several times, etc rtfm.
loosened head, Eneloop group1: L1 - M1 - H1 - blinkies
loosened head, Eneloop group2: L2 - M2 - H2 - blinkies

L2 is also called Moonlight mode. (L2 << L1)

loosened head, 14500 group1: Max - Max - Max - ...
loosened head, 14500 group2: Low - Max - Max - blinkies (<= that's okay operation for 14500's imo)

The above works for me really good, reliably. If it doesnt for you on your samples, then something's faulty ;)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireclaw, you did fully understand my post, didnt you?

loosened head, 14500 group2: Low - Max - Max - blinkies (<= that's okay operation for 14500's imo)

The above works for me really good, reliably. If it doesnt for you on your samples, then something's faulty ;)

That's is how its supposed to work. But 2/3 of the time low disappears. So my loosened mode on 14500 looks instead like this:

"loosened head, 14500 group2: Max - Max - Max - blinkies"

both my D25a and my D25a Ti display this behavior.

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
So my loosened mode on 14500 looks
Okay, i think that you have got my point, and now i am understanding your point: with activated moonlight mode, 1/3 of the time your light behaves normally on 14500 (low-max-max-blinkies-low-max-max-blinkies-..) and 2/3 of your time, still with activated moonlight mode, your light behaves unexpectedly on 14500 (max-max-max-blinkies-max-max-max-blinkies) AS IF you had deactivated moonlight mode, THAT IS as if you were in the higher group (group1 is "higher" than group2).

Okok, i am understanding now your point.

Hmm. I cant observe such a quirky behavior on my D25A Ti unit!