Fenix PD22 question/problem? Light ramps up?

Snareman

Enlightened
Just got my PD22 to replace the PD20 that seems to have disappeared. Does anyone else notice that when they turn theirs on that it seems to go through 2 levels of brightness? Not sure how to explain it exactly. It happens at every brightness level. Its like it will stutter at a 75% brightness for a tench of a sec and then go to the full brightness. Anyone else notice this? I suppose its not a huge deal, but its kind of annoying every time I watch it.

Snareman

Enlightened
Hmm... and it has a big yellow colored hole in the middle of the hotspot.

Just found my PD20 btw. Its always in the last place you look...

HIDblue

Enlightened
I have a older PD20 and it was flickering a bit. I just cleaned the threads completely; relubed it, making sure not to get any lube on the contact area between the head and body; and tightened down the retaining ring at the bottom of the body where the clicky is. There are two dimples on the retaining ring that allow you to tighten it down when it gets loose. That solved my flickering issue. I know it's not exactly the same problem you described, but it's worth a shot...

Hope this helps.

R_Tech

Newly Enlightened
Just got my PD22 to replace the PD20 that seems to have disappeared. Does anyone else notice that when they turn theirs on that it seems to go through 2 levels of brightness? Not sure how to explain it exactly. It happens at every brightness level. Its like it will stutter at a 75% brightness for a tench of a sec and then go to the full brightness. Anyone else notice this? I suppose its not a huge deal, but its kind of annoying every time I watch it.

Sorry for bringing up such an old post but I too have this exact same issue and did not want to make a re-post. Mine also stutters/delays for a split second before coming on to the preset brightness. I have not noticed this on any other flashlight that i own including 5 other Fenix lights. Mine is the newest PD22 with XP-G2 (R5) emitter.

Any other PD22 owners notice this also? I am hoping this not a defect.

Thanks,

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
My PD22 with the XP-G2 does that as well. It's like a short ramp-up with my light that lasts a fraction of a second. My LD12 does similar, though it's a smoother ramp-up. The PD22's ramp-up is like you describe, with a quick step-up appearance. My two E35s do the same thing if I loosen the head to lock-out the power switch. When I tighten the head and then press the power button, the ramp-up is identical to what I see with the PD22. I don't notice it in regular use. I don't perceive it to be a defect with my lights.

Last edited:

R_Tech

Newly Enlightened
My PD22 with the XP-G2 does that as well. It's like a short ramp-up with my light that lasts a fraction of a second. My LD12 does similar, though it's a smoother ramp-up. The PD22's ramp-up is like you describe, with a quick step-up appearance. My two E35s do the same thing if I loosen the head to lock-out the power switch. When I tighten the head and then press the power button, the ramp-up is identical to what I see with the PD22. I don't notice it in regular use. I don't perceive it to be a defect with my lights.

Hmm, maybe a common thing for the PD22's as well as a few other fenix lights? I was thinking it was a bad regulator or something as mine also "hums" slightly when in turbo mode. My PD20 for comparison has no hum or ramp up. I like the "instant on" of what LED lights are about but you are correct, not that noticeable under regular use.
The E35 will be my next light, then the PD35 :thumbsup:

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, maybe a common thing for the PD22's as well as a few other fenix lights? I was thinking it was a bad regulator or something as mine also "hums" slightly when in turbo mode. My PD20 for comparison has no hum or ramp up. I like the "instant on" of what LED lights are about but you are correct, not that noticeable under regular use.
The E35 will be my next light, then the PD35 :thumbsup:
Hmm... Mine does not hum. I just tried it out next to my ear to be sure, and it is completely silent.

You may already know this. There is a new version of the E35 coming out soon, the E35 Ultimate Edition. It does have some nice specs, including an XM-L2 LED. (Both of my E35s have the XP-E2.) I like the modes available on the new model, plus it has a burst mode. Hopefully, the new model doesn't step down after thirty minutes of high mode usage. That's my only complaint about the original E35, though it rarely impacts me in normal usage. The New E35's head has cooling fins to accommodate the brighter modes. The new E35 is longer, probably due to the cooling fins. The original E35 is 116.5 mm long, while the E35 UE will be 130 mm long. This isn't much of a size difference, though one of the nice things about the original E35 is its pocketability.

Last edited:

R_Tech

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for letting me know, I just looked up the new E35 ultimate edition and i correct myself...THIS will be my next light!

I read somewhere that the ultimate editions are only able to operate in burst mode for 3 minutes before stepping down to Turbo mode which operates for another 30 minutes before stepping down to high mode for safety and cooling. But since the new E35 doesn't have a turbo mode, yes hopefully there is no step down while in high mode. Hope they come with a holster too!