Suggestions for a "simple" Lightsaber

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I want to make a simple and reasonably inexpensive lightsaber for one of my sons for Christmas. Other than lighting up, I want him to be able to spar with his older brother, who is using a Cold Steel Training Sword .
After looking around I found all sorts of methods for making lightsabers (silly me, I started off looking for light sabers). I won't go to the trouble or bore you with tons of links, but a few might help Drain Tube very plain PVC More than I want but close :) This is close

OK, Now if you are still here :), what I'm currently thinking.
Something I haven't seen on any of the lightsabers is a cross guard. I know there aren't any in the movies but if my sons are sparring they need to have similar weapons.
Right now I'm planning on a blue 1" thick walled polycarbonate 'blade', a 3/8" diameter clear rod-Acrylic? as a cross guard and a PVC handle. The light engine will be a blue, green or white higher powered LED, powered by NiMH AAs.
My main departure, for the present is the cross guard, any thoughts there would be a blessing.
My original thoughts were, 1 1/4" iron or galvanized pipe with a 4-way 'tap' on the end. Then using bushings or reducers stick 1.5-2" long pipe nipples with caps out the sides.
I thought the acrylic rod above the LED would be a great way to mke it extra special, as well as cheaper. I'm also thinking to run the polycarbonate (lexan) blade through the handle, to the end for strength.

So I'm looking for thoughts on:
Design, cross guard idea
LED and driver (resistor, Buck Puck)​
LED color-if I go with color 'blade' for daylight use, what is best-he likes turquoise thus the thought of green w/ blue filter
Any thoughts welcome!
TIA-Wits' End-Herb

Last edited: