Retainer rings doesn't turn at all. Any ideas?

Dragon8oy

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I tried to change my rubber switch cap on my Nitecore MT40 but the retainer ring doesn't move at all. I tried turning it the same direction as my Xtar TZ20 which is counterclockwise. Now the metal ring next to the spring is a little scratched by the slipping on the 2 dimple holes. are the metal rings easily obtainable from spares?

Any ideas?

Thanks

sbbsga

Enlightened
Hi

I tried to change my rubber switch cap on my Nitecore MT40 but the retainer ring doesn't move at all. I tried turning it the same direction as my Xtar TZ20 which is counterclockwise. Now the metal ring next to the spring is a little scratched by the slipping on the 2 dimple holes. are the metal rings easily obtainable from spares?

Any ideas?

Thanks

I had that problem once, I even bent the tips of the tweezers. But I finally managed to loosen the retainer with a small needle nose pliers. You could also use snap ring pliers if you somehow do not have a needle nose pliers. :)

Dragon8oy

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a pair needle nose pliers but the retainer ring still wouldn't move. It seems like the ring is soldered on:whistle:

sbbsga

Enlightened
I just bought a pair needle nose pliers but the retainer ring still wouldn't move. It seems like the ring is soldered on:whistle:

That is too bad. In my case, the tips of the pliers fit the dimples nicely and that gave it traction when torque was applied. I used a lot less effort compared to using the tweezers.

Dragon8oy

Newly Enlightened
I just tried heating the tailcap before trying to remove the retainer ring and it still wont move. Looks like i got a lemon tailcap.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried heating the tailcap before trying to remove the retainer ring and it still wont move. Looks like i got a lemon tailcap.

I don't have this light but many retaining rings have reverse threads have you tried to break it loose turning the opposite direction?

Dragon8oy

Newly Enlightened
I don't have this light but many retaining rings have reverse threads have you tried to break it loose turning the opposite direction?

Hi

I emailed Nitecore and they said to turn it counterclockwise in which i did. I also have a Nitecore MT2C which uses the same tailcap as the MT40 and that turned easily.
Im still waiting a reply from Nitecore for a replacement tailcap.

Dplight21

Banned
Some days before I faced this type of problem. Then I contacted to our local distributor. He called a mechanic and changed the rubber switch cap on my Nitecore MT40 properly.
I thanked him for his good service.

And I suggest you to contact to a mechanic for it.

Dragon8oy

Newly Enlightened
Some days before I faced this type of problem. Then I contacted to our local distributor. He called a mechanic and changed the rubber switch cap on my Nitecore MT40 properly.
I thanked him for his good service.

And I suggest you to contact to a mechanic for it.

Hi

I think i will wait for Nitecore's reply. Im worried about the mechanic being heavy handed, deforming the cap or scratchng it, etc.

Thanks

Dragon8oy

Newly Enlightened
I just a reply from seller that Nitecore says sometimes the retainer ring doesn't come off and the spare tailcap rubber button is only there for convenience when they are packing the contents.

How often have you guys changed the rubber switch cap or that the clicky need changed from wear and tear?

Many thanks

Latest posts