Can you help me understand the HDS EDC Clicky User Interface?

williaty

Newly Enlightened
I've got a specific question about the HDS flashlights. Basically, what I want out of them is the "tactical" UI from some of the Surefire products. That is, I want the light to come on when I have my thumb pushed down on the button and ONLY when I have my thumb pushed down on the button and, no matter what, I want it to come on to full power when I poke it. From reading the user manual, I see that I can program all 4 brightness levels to be the same output, effectively fulfilling my requirement to come on to high no matter what. I see that I can enable a momentary press option so that the light will come on when I stick my thumb into it and turn off when I let go.

The thing I'm not clear on is wither I can fully disable the ability to switch the flashlight to steady-state-on. Call it "momentary only" if you like. I'm training to use the Hackathorne/Vickers Flashbulb technique, where the light is just bumped rapidly on and right back off to create a flash of light. I'm worried that the flashlight UI will interpret this as a click, rather than a press-and-hold, and therefore will turn the light on and leave it on.

Do you know if I can make it momentary-only or if I'll always be at risk of toggling the light to constant on if I bump the switch too briefly?

Thanks!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Do you know if I can make it momentary-only or if I'll always be at risk of toggling the light to constant on if I bump the switch too briefly

When momentary is activated : Press and hold for momentary : Click once to lock on.

In answer to your question "or if I'll always be at risk of toggling the light to constant on if I bump the switch too briefly" as far as I understand yes.

Norm

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that 1/2 second is the cut off for the UI interpreting your action as a click or a press-hold.

Hold it <500 milliseconds and it'll stay on when you release, hold for >500 miliseconds and it will go back of when you release.

Elzetta might be a better option for what you are working on, they've got several tail caps that you can screw on for different abilities, surely one of them is momentary only... Yep, just checked, it's the "rotary tail cap".

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatacs 120pmodel used to offer this momentary only output as an option. You had to do a factory reset in rser to disabek it to reprogram the light.

I would say your best bet is to reprogram the light so that both modes "B" and "C" (2clicks to access either one from the other) aree the same output, and enable force setting for either output. Then program your triple click as a lower, more general purpose output. Then, go back into the options menu and enable momentary activation.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice to have this momentary only feature. It could be placed instead of the three quick flashes when you have the button lock-out feature enabled.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice to have this momentary only feature. It could be placed instead of the three quick flashes when you have the button lock-out feature enabled.

That is a very good point Slumber Pass, I hadn't thought of that.