BF LED MagLights... What To Do With Them ?

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
Mods, I wasn't quite sure where to put this but it seems GD worthy to me. Please move if it's in the wrong place.

I bought qty 4, 2xAA LED lights and qty 4, 2D LED lights. They were 50% off at Lowes on Black Friday. I paid $10.97 & 14.97, respectivley. I though they would make good gifts but it turns out I think the Rayovac Indestructables
seem to be a better bang for the buck. Should I keep a couple of these and mod them, or just return them ? It looks like there is a 400 lumen drop in for the D light but it's 27$. So that puts me at 42$ for an upgraded 2D MagLight.

Is it worth the 42 bux for this upgrade or am I better off just buying something else for the 42$ and forget about the huge arsed light ?

How about the 2xAA light ? Is it worth trying to mod it or just save my $'s and buy something else ?

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. :)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The general consensus is that it doesn't make economic sense to upgrade the Mini-Mag. The same can be said for the 2/3D Mags. The exceptions are: you already have it (and can't return it) or you want to do a crazy mod with one.

BTW, that $27 drop-in mod for the 2D probably won't fit as the drop-ins are designed to to used on the incandescent versions and the LED versions have a different tower assembly that isn't compatible.

mbw_151

Enlightened
The NiteIze UG-2 is pretty cost effective for $8-10 at converting a mini to LED. It's a one level ~25 lumen output. It makes a pretty KISS light, ideal for loaners. I keep a few around. You are pushing towards the price of an LED mini-mag. You don't get multiple levels but you don't have to explain how to use the levels either.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NiteIze UG-2 is pretty cost effective for $8-10 at converting a mini to LED. It's a one level ~25 lumen output. It makes a pretty KISS light, ideal for loaners. I keep a few around. You are pushing towards the price of an LED mini-mag. You don't get multiple levels but you don't have to explain how to use the levels either.
It wouldn't have worked anyway since he bought LED versions of both lights.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
A Malkoff drop-in for the Mag-Lite is an excellent purchase that will last forever. Just get it.

I am still looking for a low low output dropin for mag-lite, to take advantage of runtimes as a power-out candle.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Malkoff drop-in for the Mag-Lite is an excellent purchase that will last forever. Just get it.

I am still looking for a low low output dropin for mag-lite, to take advantage of runtimes as a power-out candle.
The Malkoff drop-in wont work with the MagLED, though. For a long runtime drop-in for an incandescent MagLite the Nite Ize half watt model will run three times longer than the one watt version on the same batteries. Careful, though, the half watt bulb replacement will damage NIMH cells if you allow them to run their voltage down.