• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: 1000 Lumen Vintage Eveready XM-L U3 Mod!

jayrob

Enlightened
I have a few of these vintage hosts, and will be offering this modification here... :cool:

These lights are from the 30's. (and some even from the 20's) They have normal wear on them, and show their age. But that's part of how great they are! (IMO)

These are going fast, but I'll be picking up more as I find them...
beer.gif

I'm using the same 3 Amp driver and similar build style shown for my vintage Ray-O-Vac mod. (details of that build shown here)

Eveready 20.jpg

* I'm using and XM-L U3 emitter binned 1C... (I keep getting the latest XML, currently XML-2 U4 - or let me know what emitter you would like)
* I also have the new XML-2 emitters by request...
* The driver is 8 X AMC7135 chips, but the new V2 driver uses 380mA chips vs 350mA chips normally.

So it puts out 3 Amps... :)

I personally like the 3 mode configuration with memory. (L,M,H) But I can configure the driver how ever you would like it per this configuration sheet:

Eveready 19.jpg

Update: I have some better emitters too. I have 5000k XP-L V2 3A (factory de-domed) on copper sink pad. (or I still have XM-L emitters as well)

Plus a better driver with low voltage protection: (I personally like mode group 21 but I can set it on any mode group below)

Here's the driver I'm using: (Guppydrv)
Here's the link to the driver

22 User Selectable Mode Groups:

1. 2% - 25% - 100% | Memory
2. 100% - 25% - 2% | No Memory
3. 2% - 25% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | Memory
4. 2% - 25% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | No Memory
5. 15% - 100% | Memory
6. 100% - 15% | No Memory
7. 100% Only
8. 100% - Strobe | No Memory
9. Strobe - 100% | No Memory
10. ML - 5% - 33% - 100% | Memory
11. 100% - 33% - 5% - ML | No Memory
12. ML - 5% - 33% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | Memory
13. ML - 5% - 33% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon | No Memory
14. ML - 100% | No Memory
15. 100% - ML | No Memory
16. ML - 100% | Memory
17. ML - 5% - 15% - 50% - 100% | Memory
18. ML - 5% - 15% - 50% - 100% | No Memory
19. 100% - 50% - 15% - 5% - ML | Memory
20. 100% - 50% - 15% - 5% - ML | No Memory
21. 2% - 15% - 50% - 100% | Memory
22. 2% - 15% - 50% - 100% | No Memory

Details of the build are shown in the pictures and captions below:

The build involves gluing an aluminum plug and battery contact board to convert the light to a single cell design.

Then on top of that plug, I use a spring, in order to press my heatsink/emitter/driver module up into a custom sized reflector. So that everything is pressed solid up against the bezel and lens.

It's a very nice build, but requires some time and effort. (I like to get them perfect) The light is modified to use a single 32650 Li-Ion cell. I have 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion cells on hand.

* This is a fixed focus build - Best spot...

Eveready 12.jpg

Eveready 13.jpg

Eveready 14.jpg

Eveready 15.jpg

Eveready 16.jpg

Eveready 17.jpg

Eveready 18.jpg

The picture above shows one with a beveled front glass lens. So far I have only found two of these lights that have the bevel.

Most have a flat glass lens...

Eveready 11.jpg

Aluminum Reflector: (choose smooth or MOP)

I wish I could find the right size reflector, but have tried, and cannot. So I have to machine the aluminum reflector to fit. And that means extra work. It also means that there may end up being very slight imperfections sometimes if any machined material gets in there while the lathe spindle is turning during the machine work. (not an issue unless you are very very picky)

Smooth reflector...

MOP reflector...

The beam is excellent...

Eveready 4.jpg

Eveready 5.jpg

Current readings (2 mode configuration): (High, medium)

Pretty much the same at the emitter as measured at the tail: (linear driver)

Measured at the tail: (battery current draw from a single, 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion)
* High - 3020mA's... Estimated run time - 2 hours! :)
* Medium - 890mA's... Estimated run time - Over 6 hours at about 320 lumens! :D

Pricing:

My price for one of these Vintage mods including the battery and charger, is like so: (you can just subtract from the total if there is something listed that you do not need)

* Complete Vintage Eveready build (let me know reflector choice - smooth or MOP) - $199 (I can show you pictures of the different hosts currently available)
* 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion cell - $24
* XTAR VC4 charger - $29
* Shipping - (based on shipping location and depending on how paid, etc...) PM for total...
beer.gif

Hope you like it! :D

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a cool build Jay! About machining the reflector, have you thought of putting a shop vac next to the spinning lathe to grab all the shavings from hitting the reflector?

jayrob

Enlightened
That is a cool build Jay! About machining the reflector, have you thought of putting a shop vac next to the spinning lathe to grab all the shavings from hitting the reflector?

Great idea thanks!

It's really not bad at all, but I think I'll try that... :)

Reserved below for posting feedback from buyers...

I Love to see good feedback. This is the start of hopefully more to come for this vintage Retro build... :)

Laser Smith said:
Just picked up one of these bad boys and it exceeds all expectations marvelously. The build quality is second to none. Very solid in your hand and just a gorgeous piece of work overall. The amount of light that comes out of this thing is staggering when in a dark room! And it will make a bright lit room even brighter. I had many questions and requests to which Jayrob was very professional and easy to work with. He shipped it out Wednesday afternoon (3-25) from California and it was in my cold Wisconsin hands before lunch that Friday (3-27). 10/10 in every aspect for this amazing light and its' builder! I'll upload some pics when I can get to my desktop, not sure how/if I can from the mobile site.
Very pleased, thanks again Jayrob :beer:
+rep when I am on my desktop
-Matt

I received my 1930's JayRob light this week and it is sweet. Reminds of my dad's light as a child
I asked for smooth reflector 5000k light two stage. I throws very well - feels good in the hand

Love it

Thanks Jay

madmacmo said:
Jay,

I received the 30's Eveready Modded flashlight and it is absolutely super. You are simply a true genius.

Thanks,

Mac

LaserEddie said:
Received two vintage builds from JayRob: The Ray-O-Vac Sportsman and the Eveready brass with beveled glass lens. When I put the Ray-O-Vac on "high," Mamma Mia! The thing lights up the room enough to give you a sunburn! I call these my DEU's (Dark Extraction Units). I have a Cyclops 30 million candlepower spotlight (incandescent, with a big battery), and this equals that monster. The brass Eveready is the same, with incredible throw. I really love these lights - taking nothing away from the Maglight builds, but these are real sleepers, and look awesome in their vintage splendor. It's so nice to have the security of lighting up a dark alley like it was daytime. I shudder to think of what these single-emitter fire-breathers will bring in the future: 10,000 lumens? Pulling one amp? Runtime: 100 hours? Lol! The future is BRIGHT!
Thanks Jay, for these super builds. GO VINTAGE!

Just posted this Vid on YouTube of my Most Prized Vintage 1930's Eveready XM-L U3 Mod:

This is pure jayrob artwork at its finest! :cool:

I just received my vintage everready mod with a sweet neutral white XML. This was such a great idea to bring these old hosts back to life. Thanks jayrob. The work you do on these is really good stuff.

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
How much resistance does the stock switch introduce?

Beautiful build, Jay!

:)

:thanks:

Quite honestly, I don't have that answer to your question about the switch resistance... But I can tell you that I believe the stock switches are just basic direct contact with the press of the button onto a copper or brass strip. (and slide up to lock on)

Measuring battery current draw at the tail, it is pretty much the same as when I measure direct to the emitter. (DMM between driver and emitter)

Which was expected using this linear driver...

Edit: Update...

At the moment, I have these available...

Eveready%2026.jpg

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have the dough now as it is reserved for a pending project,
but perhaps others will have the same question:

Does the driver allow for single, 3 amp mode?

Studying the diagram, I am guessing minimum is two modes.

Great project, and an excellent homage to flashlight history.

jayrob

Enlightened
Don't have the dough now as it is reserved for a pending project,
but perhaps others will have the same question:

Does the driver allow for single, 3 amp mode?

Studying the diagram, I am guessing minimum is two modes.

Great project, and an excellent homage to flashlight history.

I do have a single mode driver if you prefer... 2.8 Amp single mode driver

Personally, I like having the 2 mode setting. It still acts like a single mode driver because of the memory. So it will always be in high mode unless you make it switch modes. (or what ever your last mode was)

And if you are ever in a situation where you need more run time, the medium mode is still very bright at over 300 lumens! Should be over 6 hours on medium... :) (with the Feilong cell)

Last edited:

walterr839

Enlightened
I received my 1930's JayRob light this week and it is sweet. Reminds of my dad's light as a child
I asked for smooth reflector 5000k light two stage. I throws very well - feels good in the hand

Love it

Thanks Jay

jayrob

Enlightened
:bumpit:

Just got a couple more nice feedback comments...

Love to see that! :thanks:

madmacmo said:
Jay,

I received the 30's Eveready Modded flashlight and it is absolutely super. You are simply a true genius.

Thanks,

Mac

LaserEddie said:
Received two vintage builds from JayRob: The Ray-O-Vac Sportsman and the Eveready brass with beveled glass lens. When I put the Ray-O-Vac on "high," Mamma Mia! The thing lights up the room enough to give you a sunburn! I call these my DEU's (Dark Extraction Units). I have a Cyclops 30 million candlepower spotlight (incandescent, with a big battery), and this equals that monster. The brass Eveready is the same, with incredible throw. I really love these lights - taking nothing away from the Maglight builds, but these are real sleepers, and look awesome in their vintage splendor. It's so nice to have the security of lighting up a dark alley like it was daytime. I shudder to think of what these single-emitter fire-breathers will bring in the future: 10,000 lumens? Pulling one amp? Runtime: 100 hours? Lol! The future is BRIGHT!
Thanks Jay, for these super builds. GO VINTAGE!

At the moment, I have these available:

Eveready%2026.jpg

Last edited:

madmacmo

Newly Enlightened
Just posted this Vid on YouTube of my Most Prized Vintage 1930's Eveready XM-L U3 Mod:

This is pure jayrob artwork at its finest! :cool: