The McLux Concept – A Gallery

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am a McLux addict. And it is getting worse.

This thread does not serve any specific purpose except to honour the Skunk Lights Gang and Wayne (dat2zip) as well as to show this marvel they have created to our new fellow flashaholics.

Skunk Lights homepage: http://www.skunklights.com

Basically the McLux is a modular multi-purpose state-of-the-art high-end device that puts out light in addition to its other features including a beauty beyond imagination.

The Beginnings

It all started with the offering of the first professionally produced CPF custom light, the McLux TK unit. TK stands for "turnkey", meaning ready to use for dummies like me who do not know a penny about soldering and other strange skills needed to make little electronic devices. It is this light:

faa713e3.jpg

Features:
- custom made all-aluminium components with massive head for heat-sinking
- BB400 constant current driver
- Q3-binned 1W Luxeon Star
- custom McFlood reflector, user-replaceable with optix
- glass lens
- watertight
- Kroll switch with momentary and constant on
- stands on tail
- multi-purpose tail guard with holes for lanyards, can even be screwed on stands!
- bezel-down ti-clip, numbered and engraved
- EN-plated
- completely interchangeable with SF E-series and Arc components

In addition to the TK-run, the single parts are offered for sale in the Sandwich Shoppe for those real men who know how to tinker. There you can also buy more different parts that have been introduced over time:

More Parts

Please yourself with 2x123 and even 3x123 tails to build power-hungry devices:

faa71410.jpg

You want ultimate photon-management? Buy McGizmo's McLux-PR head constructed around the Pelican M6 reflector, the best alternative for good and concentrated beams with good sidespill, especially with 1W and Lux-III's. Available in HAIII black as well as bare aluminium:
faa713ed.jpg

This head can be built using McGizmo's E-Can also available at the Sandwich Shoppe for easier construction.

The Electronics

The McLux TK's as well as all my personal McLuxes are powered by the various regulating driver boards provided by dat2zip in his Sandwich Shoppe.

PCB.jpg

details.jpg

With those super-efficient tiny devices, they are fully regulated and fly higher than most other top-notch flashlights ...

Of course you can put every other regulator in the McLux or DD it.

The Evolution

Since the McLux is an ever evolving concept, there are more things to come. Unfortunately I am not a member of the Gang, so the only thing to show is a trimmed-down version of the McLux-PR head for low-power applications:
McL-PR-1W.jpg

McL-PR-1W-2.jpg

The final form factor I do not know.
Additionally a new tail design is in the works … I am already hungry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Finish

The standard Finish for the McLuxes was EN-plating, but there where also some black HA parts made and distributed, like the Black Widow McLux with a red HD:
both.jpg

Newer parts can also be purchased in raw aluminium to do with it whatever you possibly like. If no finish is applied, they do get scratched quite quickly though. If you count yourself among the 99% of CPF who are anal guys, be careful. I like the patina of my used bare PR-Head … /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A new possibility is TiN-Plating (done by Jets22) in a cool golden colour and great durability. I was able to get one such unit from Don, I call it the Golden Dragon McLux, and it is the most favourite light of mine of all the time:
faa713f7.jpg

Golden Dragon McLux with Standard Head using a DB750 R2H with a bead-blasted McFlood reflector for the ultimate flood beam

faa713fb.jpg

... and with a McLux-PR head with BB750 X3T for the ultimate punch.

The McLux as the ultimate art-light (light and clip by McGizmo, Tin-plating by Jets22), recently auctioned in Modders B/S/T:
Gold-McLux.jpg

Modularity

As mentioned above, the McLux parts will fit the SF E-Series and Arc parts as well as Dpeck's UBH, so an infinite number of choices is open to you:
faa713f0.jpg

From top left clockwise:
- McLux strandard head (BB400 1W) on 3x123 tail with 2xAA and DSpeck spacer tube
- KL3 on E2C-adaptor (McGizmo style) mated with a 2x123 tail
- McLux-PR with BB750 X3T bare aluminium on E2e body
- KL1 on 1x123 McLux tail
- TiN McLux head with DB750 R2H with bead-blasted McFlood on brass DSpeck 123-battery-extender on black E1 body
- Black McLux-PR DB700 R2H on 3x123 Brass UBH with E-series LOTC
- Arc head (blue anodize with RB 1W) on black 1x123 McLux tail using a DSpeck battery spacer for use with Arc parts

faa10c92.jpg

(taken from a photo contest a while ago, author unknown)
It can even be screwed on standard camera stands!

cell-beltclip.jpg

… or used with a cell-phone clip for more carrying options.

optics.jpg

Standard Head can be equipped with McFlood, NX05 or NX01 or left empty …

… and there are many more options of course !!!!!
So far, this is the most variable light series I have ever seen around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The Stone Age

This is the McLux prototype made by McGizmo:

ml1-3.jpg

read more about it here

What it does

Besides all the above-mentioned qualities, all the McLuxes I have seen so far also make light. They do this in very different manners according to the abundance of choices of photon-management and power possible. Here are the comparison shots of the most common applications:

faa713eb.jpg

McLux-TK (BB400 with 1W Q3 and McFlood) – Arc LS1rev2

faa7140a.jpg

McLux-PR on 2x123 or 3x123 with DB750 R2H – Arc LS1rev2
This combo is the throw king in this class while still producing a very good sidespill and an exceptional beam quality. My preferred "multi-task" all-around setup.

faa713f3.jpg

Good white stock SF L4 – Golden Dragon McLux-PR BB750 X3T on 2x123 tail
The hotspot of the PR head is tighter and throws further than the L4, my digicam cannot capture this.

faa713e9.jpg

McLux-TK (same as above) – Golden Dragon Standard Head DB750 R2H McFlood (beadblasted)
note the perfect flood beam of the Golden Dragon with only a slight hint of a hotspot. I know, most of you prefer throw, but believe me, this incarnation of the mother of all flood beams is perfect for close range tasks and really excels at close-up work because there ain't no hotspot to blind you at all but just a lot of light everywhere.

faa71406.jpg

McLux-PR DB750 R2H on 2x123 or 3x123 – SF L4
McLux hotspot is way brighter and throws a lot further than the L4, overall light output is less, of course, but the sidespill of the McLux is overly sufficient, so that the McLux offers more variability than the L4.

Sorry, no pics with Lux-III's, I do not have one of those … yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Summary

The McLux with all its variations is a high-end state-of-the-art technical marvel produced by members of CPF with unrivalled modularity and multi-purpose uses in light output as well as mounting/carrying options. And it is breathtakingly beautiful.

A big CHEERS to the Skunk Lights Gang !
A very special thanx to Don, you know why !

bernhard

disclaimer: some of the photos were taken by McGizmo and are linked to his site, thanx again, Don!

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must first and foremost thank the SkunkLights Team for this wonderful and most versatile tool. I would also like to thank Jets22 for his part in the creation of the gold and very scenic McLux as well as all those persons who made it possible for me to purchase the "special" McLux items I own. Now I just have to come up with a nice way to keep them protected while still showing them. Maybe some Pelican cases with clear lids...

That's a pretty impressive stable you have going there Bernhard. I too, am addicted.

This is my stable (along with a FireFly). These are just quick pics. I intend to do some good pics soon, but I haven't had the time.

Stable.jpg

The 2x123 pack has an unfinished prototype head with a very green 5W on it, the 3x123 pack has a McLux PR head with a 1W R2H driven with a BB700.

Black-n-Gold.jpg

This are a closeup of the black and gold ones. The black one is a white 1W with a McFlood and bead-blasted black HA finish and the gold one is a bare emitter with a bead-blasted McFlood and the beautiful clip.

I've told Don, but the rest of the gang should know that the McLux program is nothing short of a modern marvel of engineering and ideas. Thanks again guys!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard, WOW! Thank you! And yet to be mentioned but of great significance to all of us is Dat2zip's critical contribution to every one of the McLux lights shown! Had he not provided the critical means of supplying electrons to the Luxeons, this cool gallery would be empty of pictures! This gallery is a result of the Skunk gang as you have credited but also and more significant, a result of CPF and the membership and exchange of ideas and fun we have here. Without kind and generous folks such as yourself, Bernhard, the McLux would never have gone beyond a group of flashaholics getting together in a messy garage one evening.

- Don

B@rt

Flashaholic
fd0c627e.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Very nice work Bernhard ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since this is a gallery, here is a pic of Darell's black Mclux with a rare beadblasted head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
final.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
dat2zip, I am ashamed that I forgot to mention you part of the work as Don pointed out! I humbly apologize, and have edited the appropriate electronics section immediately.

Beretta1526, looking forward to your pics!
I personally only own 6 McLuxes, I just swap parts when I am in the mood, like in the pic with the combo-lights above...

Don, thanx for you kind words. Don't be too humble, although this is a virtue of course ... you should be proud, so very proud of this creation! You see me ashamed that I forgot Wayne's work. I have corrected it ASAP.

B@rt, that one sure looks nice! wow!

bernhard

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Larry

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McLux is the best thing to happen on the flashlight scene in the short time ive been here.
Thanks for starting this thread Keissling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hopefully it will encourage more ppl to post pics fo their own McLuxes that are out there.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great writeup Bernhard! I struggle to understand and keep up with all the various versions and combinations so it`s great to see what`s out there.

I have just the one, an "original" 1 cell 1 watter. It was assembled by Don specialy, because I missed out on the TK run and wasn`t having a lot of luck obtaining one from sales down in BST either. Don is a nice guy and I am very grateful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

It is a very special light. I don`t use it nearly as often as it deserves, because as a collector first and foremost, I don`t want to hurt or lose the little marvel! It does get used though - with a SureFire beamshaper it does a great job as a close-in photography light.

mclux.jpg

mcluxcpf2003aaa.jpg

Though it bears a TK clip, it isn`t. I just wish I had more time and more knowledge to follow the developments. But it`s hard enough keeping up to date with all the commercial lights for the TRS....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Chris, these are awesome photos! Guess it is time to buy a new digicam and take some lessons in photography if budget and time permit ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Like kakster said ... anyone any more pics of cool McLuxes?

bernhard

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here are my two McLuxes...

mclux1.jpg

The one on top is a Black Widow McLux, with a black 1xCR123A barrel and an orangish-red 1.2W Luxeon Star.
As far as I'm aware, there are only two of these beauties on the planet. Kiessling has one and I have the other.

The one on the bottom is a two-tone, part chrome part bead-blasted finish; it uses a white 1.2 watt Luxeon Star.

Both are equipped with the McFlood reflector, and as you might expect, both have a wider than usual beam angle.
And both are TK units, so I didn't have to {vulgar term for intercourse} with them beforehand.

My web page about them is right here if anyone's interested.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Just for fun: beamshots of the Black Widow McLux ... a real eye opener ... a wall of red light.

fcbc0a90.jpg

fcbc0a86.jpg

fcbc0a92.jpg

the last shot is a comparison with an Arc LS1rev2. In reality there is no hot orange hotspot but just pure deep red light. The pic is an artifact from my cool digicam.

bernhard

grift

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! Now for the big ? will there be a new product coming from the Skunk Crew?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
wow!
bead-blasted black HA is quite nice, I'd like to see more of that, especially in my hands ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
and the black 3x123 is not bad either ... whereas the golden one ... we bow in silence.
thanx for the pix!
bernhard

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another noteworthy fact that we may want to remember is that dat2zip also designed the electronics for the Arc LS lights. This should probably go into the cheers but heck, how about a big round of applause to Wayne Yamaguchi!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow! That's a fantastically complete run-down. Truly, truly awesome.

I almost feel bad that I was talked out of so many lights from my personal stash. But then I also see how much folks are enjoying them... and I get those warm-fuzzies again. One thing that speaks volumes is how few of the TKs were actually re-sold at a profit. Most just stayed with the original purchasers.

Don, Wayne and Leo worked their butts off to get these done. My hat is always off to them.