Choosing between Surefire U2 & LX2

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

First, let me say to the mods: if this is more of a "recommend me a light" thread, feel free to move this to that forum. I felt like this is more of a comparison than a general request which is why I chose to put this in the LED forum.

Now, off to the question of the day: I am having a heck of a time choosing between the Surefire U2, and the Surefire LX2. Here is what I have so far:

Surefire U2
Pros:
Selector ring has many different output options
Knurling
Clicky so I don't have to twist tailcap to keep it on
Pocket clip
More flood​
Cons:
A little too big IMO for EDC
I really don't care for the bluish tint of the SSC P4 LED that Surefire loves to put in their lights (if I am wrong on the most recent LED used, please correct me)
Priced a bit higher than the LX2, I've seen them around $150-175 US​

Surefire LX2
Pros:
Slimmer, better pocket clip for EDC
Two stage tailcap is more tactically oriented, and I can change brightness very quickly with just the press of my thumb
Less expensive than the U2, around $110
I love the tint of my E2DL which uses the same LED
Much brighter than the U2 on high​
Cons:
Would have to use diffuser to get flood since it uses TIR
Only two light levels
No knurling​

I think I'm leaning towards the LX2, but that U2 seems so darn cool. I think if the U2 used a better LED, I'd probably go that way.

Thanks for your thoughts!

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a U2 so I can't answer all your concerns but I do have an LX2.

As for no knurling, the LX2 replaces it with flutes on the head, body, and tail.
They add very good grip as they have slight sharp edges but not too sharp to cut just enough for great gripping even with gloves.

The low is ideal for all types of low level work except moonlight (low low) and high is nice and bright with decent runtime.
These two levels go well together with no need for extra levels imho.

The diffuser is a welcome addition and one of those caps/top from a water bottle can fit on to make the perfect diffuser.

I'd definitely pick the LX2.

One of the best things about this light is the great throw at high level (~1.5 hr regulation runtime) while being easily dropped into front pocket because of it's slim size.:thumbsup:

If I can say something negative about it would be it can come in very mismatched anodizing.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and the LX2 gets more pocket time for me because you are correct about the U2 being bigger. The U2 is a GREAT light but the LX2 wins on size and output, also LEGO-ability (I have an A2L red head and a E2C adapter with Z44 bezel and Malkoff drop-in for mine)

yowzer

Enlightened
They're two very different lights with very different beams and applications. Of the two, I'd go for the LX2 because it's one of my top two favorite stock lights of all time and one of my most used ones, and I think that these days there are better options than the U2 when it comes to floody lights with lots of different output levels. On the other hand, if you already have a E2DL, the LX2 is essentially the same light wrapped in a different UI and body...

GreySave

Enlightened
I have and use both. I carry the LX2 on walks for the low initial output with readily available high output. I use the U2 on my nightstand locked in high as my hand held weapon light. I think a lot depends upon what you plan to use the light for. You have them pretty well identified (pros and cons) in your original post but do not really indicate if you have an intended most often used purpose for the light. If so, then I would choose based upon your intended usage.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your original post but do not really indicate if you have an intended most often used purpose for the light. If so, then I would choose based upon your intended usage.

That's a good call out. Honestly my usage would depend on which light I bought. As is the norm with CPF members, I don't "need" another light, I "want" another light :twothumbs

If I bought the U2, I would use it for general purpose stuff, given the varying levels of light. If I bought the LX2, I would use that for EDC when I'm able to carry a bigger light.

On the other hand, if you already have a E2DL, the LX2 is essentially the same light wrapped in a different UI and body...

That's a good point. I guess it's a matter of whether I want to use my E2DL and have to cycle through the brightness modes, or have the LX2 for when I want a non-click light where I can almost instantly choose my desired output without going through clicks, or messing with a control ring. Also a question of whether or not I want to have two very similar lights.

Ugh, I think I'm going to go with whichever one I can get a better deal on. I have a E2DL, L4, and E1L. Maybe I have enough E-series and should go with the U2. My main hang up with regards to the U2 is the LED tint. The L4, for example, has the old school SSC P4 that Surefire uses in almost everything, and I don't care for it.

I know I've seen some threads on having the U2 modded to a different LED -- if it wasn't very expensive I would consider it, but the price of the light is already up there, I don't know that I could afford another $100 to mod it.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far. Keep it coming if anyone has any other thoughts.

archimedes

Flashaholic
A bit surprising that nobody quoted the CPF "buy both" phrase yet ... :devil:

Kidding aside, the size of these are pretty different - not necessarily on paper, but in real world use.

Personally, I find the LX2 a more handy size for its output (and throw), but of course that is totally dependent upon the specifics of your usage and purpose(s) for the light.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the similarities between the LX2 and E2DL (which I already own) are driving me towards the U2. Currently the low on my E1L is the lowest output I have on a light, so I like the idea of the U2 being a great camping/emergency preparedness light based on it's super low output and great runtime. Maybe I'll just deal with the poor tint!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was referring to get someone else to do it. I suppose I could give it a shot myself, I would just need to search out some "how to" threads on the topic.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you buy a U2, get a used one. It's an $80 light these days. I personally prefer the LuxV version. Warm tint, wider beam, and a good usable range of brightness settings. The SSC P4 version is blue and most of the levels are biased towards the dim side.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the similarities between the LX2 and E2DL (which I already own) are driving me towards the U2. Currently the low on my E1L is the lowest output I have on a light, so I like the idea of the U2 being a great camping/emergency preparedness light based on it's super low output and great runtime. Maybe I'll just deal with the poor tint!

I forgot you mentioned you already had an E2DL.
I agree that the similarities would cause you to choose the U2 instead.

If you go with the U2 what LED would you want to have it modded with?
There was a thread where someone was having problems achieving all the 6 levels after modding the LuxV version with a modern LED.
I think the problem was the Vf of the LuxV was much higher than the new LED they were swapping in and this was causing some levels to be the same brightness.

Maybe choosing the Seoul LED version would be a better choice if you go the modding route since the Vf would be closer to the modern LEDs.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and this is a tough call. The LX2 is a great pocket light and is a pretty decent thrower. A great performer in a small package. The U2's 6 light levels are just so useful. Yes it is bigger but the bigger head really allows it to punch above its weight. It gets the most out of its rated 100 lumens. I outfitted mine with a Z49 and it fits surprisingly well into V31 (can't remember the exact number) holster. Since you already have the E2DL I would recommend the U2.

RobME

Newly Enlightened
I have both and this is a tough call. The LX2 is a great pocket light and is a pretty decent thrower. A great performer in a small package. The U2's 6 light levels are just so useful. Yes it is bigger but the bigger head really allows it to punch above its weight. It gets the most out of its rated 100 lumens. I outfitted mine with a Z49 and it fits surprisingly well into V31 (can't remember the exact number) holster. Since you already have the E2DL I would recommend the U2.

+1 the U2's a nice light. Outputs way beyond it's spec's.

:twothumbs

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
The size of these are pretty different - not necessarily on paper, but in real world use.
Let get a visual then.

LX2 with e2c and Z44 vs U2

Stock LX2 vs. U2

IMO there is a HUGE difference in the size of these two lights.

Interesting! Which Malkoff do you use, and do you get two useful levels with the LX2 host? How does the resistored level compare with the MD2 high/low ring?
Right now I'm running a standard M61 blemish but will soon get a M61-219 for it. I bored mine out to fit a 17670 cell and with that it has two useful levels, not super low but a good level none the less. With 2x123's the low will be brighter though. Low on it is a little brighter than the high/low ring on the MD2.

Latest posts