Is USB Charging Here To Stay On LED Flashlights Or Is This Just A Passing Fad?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted above, I am just wondering is Klarus the only flashlight right now that has USB charging or are their others? Also, do you think that USB charging is here to stay or is this just a passing fad?

Last edited:

eloreno

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore makes some USB charging lights. I think it will be quite popular, but who knows.

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
I tried the Klarus RS16 and sent it back. The added weight of the charger is just not worth it. I think it will fade somewhat but there is small market it for it.

stp

Newly Enlightened
I think that usb charging will be popular in cheaper lights targeted at regular folks. It makes it easier for them to operate it and they often don't care that much about size. The standardization of cellphones charging will probably help a lot so I guess that sooner or later most flashlights sold in regular shops will be equipped with mini usb connector.

I'm not sure about professional market. I doubt if it will be used in small - edc lights because of size constraints. Bigger lights - 3-4 * 18650 will be not affected for some time too because currently most usb solutions can supply up to 2A- it would be little too slow to charge. So we are left with 1*18650 - personally I would prefer lights without built-in charger.

Altec

Newly Enlightened
I have a Joby Blade that I EDC which has a USB charging port. Personally, I dig it. I can charge it at work, in front of my computer, in the car, etc with the same charging adapter I use with my phone, and a plain old Mini-B cable.

For a simple mechanic like myself, it's great!

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Nitecore MH25 which has the usb charging. I think it will be great for a traveling light because, as mentioned, it can charge in my car etc without having to carry any additional equipment. Can make a difference if traveling by air where space and weight may be constrained.

I plan on buying more usb chargable lights.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm definitely interested in being able to plug my light into a micro USB connector, but assume it's going to be a little while before I see something compact enough with this technology to attract my attention. Too bad Sablewolf dropped the ball...

Norm

Retired Administrator
USB is an ideal solution for a non enthusiast who isn't interested in all ancillary equipment you and I might find fun and interesting.

Some end users just want a flashlight that works, USB has become extremely common (some power outlets no come complete with USB) an it seems like an a good option for charging.

Mr_Black

Newly Enlightened
I definitely find it interesting. I just saw an article on The Tactical Wire about the new ASP Triad USB. These days I'm almost always carrying a USB charger and micro USB cable to keep all my devices (phone, tablet, Kindle etc) powered. I won't run out to buy a new one right now before I read some reviews but will keep them in mind for the future.

stp

Newly Enlightened
Just to add few more things. USB charging is good and practical if you look at separate device but it's not all roses if you think about your equipment as a whole. You see, it leads to custom battery solutions - just look at cellphones or digital cameras.

I'm kinda travel gadgetoholic - for some reason I like to be well prepared when I'm going somewhere and still try to stay light. For long time I was trying to standarize on AA eneloops as my power source. It was great because I needed just one charger to charge my devices everywhere. When I was without access to mains power for prolonged time I could sacrifice one device to power others. Or charge spare batteries in "base camp" when I was using my devices around. Or replace them with alkalines in case of some extreme problem. It's not possible now with current charge via USB devices. Its goes even worst when it's perfectly acceptable now for a cellphone to have non removable battery.

There is also small problem with usb charging standarization for high power devices. It may happen that one Usb charger will not be able to charge all your devices (or will charge them very slow) because they all are trying to detect if you are using original charger made by device manufacturer.

So I'm all for option to charge via usb but for me battery standarization and access to battery is much more important.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all of the replies so far. They are great. Now I wonder if anybody has compiled a list of all of the USB charging lights and compared them to one another.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
USB Triad Flashlight From ASP

A 6" long compact flashlight with a crisp and blinding 300 lumens doesn't seem too bad. I also like that you can take out the rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery and switch over to two CR123A, 3 volt lithium batteries. If I get ambitious, maybe I could create a chart comparing the various USB rechargeable flashlights available right now.

USB Triad Flashlight from ASP

Last edited by a moderator:

jake25

Enlightened
Re: USB Triad Flashlight From ASP

If anything it should have been here sooner. As someone else said, rechargeable units are the ideal unit for non enthusiasts who want an all in one package that just works every time.

MarkStar

Newly Enlightened

If anything it should have been here sooner. As someone else said, rechargeable units are the ideal unit for non enthusiasts who want an all in one package that just works every time.

That was my thinking when I bought a Nitecore MH2C earlier this week as my first LED light. Fast foward 4 days and a ton of reading here on CPF and I already bought another light (Quark QTLC) and am ready to get a recharger and batteries...

Not to say I regret the MH2C at all. I still think the ability to recharge it with the same USB for my phone that already sits right here at my computer as well as in my car all the time is a definite asset.

Illum

Flashaholic

Most li-ion charger ICs operate as a linear charger, 5V is probably the best input voltage there is for onboard/integral charge controllers that is designed to be connected permanently to the battery. I think the concept has alot of potential, but the environments a typical flashlight has to endure is not always the cleanest. It would be nice if the battery is removable, when the flashlight is not being used, it doubles as a charger. This saves the need to package a independent charger for spare batteries if the flashlight is sold as a rechargeable.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it make good sense for smaller lights. Everyone has a mini usb for their phones...easy to charge anywhere without carrying clutter-some stuff around. My vote...here to stay for a while...expect more.

tialloydragon

Newly Enlightened
4sevens just started shipping theirs: the Maelstrom Regen MMR-X

800 lumen burst mode for 1 minute, then 400 lumens for two hours. Bunch of modes; configured modes while charging. A little larger than a Quark Turbo.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been reading a number of articles on automobile design and one additional aspect to this is that a lot of manufacturers are climbing onto the USB data/charging port concept for vehicles and it may not be long before the "cigarette lighter" style port is a thing of the past and automobiles boast 110v "mains power" and a row of USB ports.

That leads me to believe that in-device USB charging is here to stay and will only expand in use.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add few more things. USB charging is good and practical if you look at separate device but it's not all roses if you think about your equipment as a whole. You see, it leads to custom battery solutions - just look at cellphones or digital cameras.

I agree that this could be a potential problem, but it doesn't have to be that way. The Nitecore P25, for example, can charge any type of 18650. And it can also run on CR123. Adding USB charging doesn't have to limit your battery options, so if that is important to you, just make sure you don't buy proprietary systems.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
Fenix recently released the UC40 with USB charging. In my opinion, they almost got it right. The light can use standard 18650 rechargeable batteries, but it can only charge the propietary ARB-L1S battery. If it could charge standard 18650 batteries, I would've bought it as my first 18650 powered light. In its current form, I would've needed to by the more expensive propietary battery if I wanted a spare battery. I ended up getting the PD32 G2 plus a charger and two 18650 batteries and spent less money for a light with better specs.

Many bicycle LED headlights are basically flashlights with special mounts and sometimes optics. Many of them are USB rechargeable, though most of them take costly propietary batteries. My Serfas True 250 is one such example. It's battery is basically a 18650 housed in an outer plastic piece that locks it into the light. This means I can't use the light for long overnight rides without buying an additional Serfas battery. Serfas sells the battery for $30.