Measured QP2L-X Battery Current

Mugrunty

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,

Unbelievably quick post here, but I just did a battery current measurement of my newly obtained Quark Pro QP2L-X Cool tinted flashlight. I can give more detail when I'm not supposed to be working (ha!).

I measured the battery current using a current probe amplifier and an oscilloscope. The first screenshot is the current with the supplied 7777's CR123 primaries on MAX brightness. I was trying to get a relative idea on drive current. I read that the QP2L-X drives the LED harder during the first 3-4 minutes of operation...this would be the current during that time interval.

QP2LX_2cell_BattCurr_MAX.png

Now, just for kicks I used my old single AA quark tube with a 14500 li-ion (close to fully charged...to be exact it was in the CV phase drawing 0.3A) and the QP2L-X head. I measured the battery current again. You can see the screenshot below:

QP2LX_14500_BattCurr_MAX.png

My first impression was: "Holy crap my 14500 cell is going to have a heart attack and die with that drive current!".

For even more kicks, I measured my Quark-AA XP-G with the same 14500 cell on maximum brightness. You can see this screenshot below:

Quark_XPG_14500_BattCurr_MAX.png

So yup, looks like the QP2L-X definitely drives the LED a bit harder than the XP-G version. Most of you here probably already knew that, but I've been out of the four sevens loop for a little while. I'd like to try and measure battery voltage at the same time later.

Any thoughts? Or is this old news?

I must return to actual work!

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the info! 1.45A is still probably OK with a sanyo UR14500

or go with IMR. does the XP2L-X overdischarge a cell below 3.0V?

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.45A shouldn't be a problem with 14500. Even AW's protected 14500 have 750mAh capacity, so it'll be good to 1.5A.

thanks for the info! 1.45A is still probably OK with a sanyo UR14500

or go with IMR. does the XP2L-X overdischarge a cell below 3.0V?

The Quark Pro/Tacticals with high voltage heads will shut off at 3V. The low voltage head, on the other hand, will suck the cells down to nothing if they aren't protected.